Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by KJ5 View Post
    No, but do you think drunk futbol hooligans in those places don't leave messes behind? Mix lots of alcohol and a big sporting event and people are gonna act the fool.
    Thanx for pointing that out to me. So what's your point? Because they do it in Spain it's Ok to do it here? My question was to old guy. What did you mean by "I don't think that sort of behavior is a local or regional thing."?

Quote Originally Posted by subsidized View Post
    I am in no way defending the slob tiger fans, but if these lots are charging $20 per car to park they surely can afford to pay someone to pick up the trash afterwards.
    Correction: Parking was $50 dollars plus!

Fact: Jerry had the opportunity to speak to several bottle & can entrepreneurs throughout the day. Many of them were not only very thankful to all the people for the financial opportunity, but very fortunate to make over $900. One entrepreneur had a brilliant "outside-the-box" idea of placing a 10-cent deposit on plastic cups to further alleviate the buildup of unwanted landscape items, how 'bout dat?

I love how Detroit loves to complain about the suburbanites all the time. How many millions and millions were spent in the city because of them yesterday? How well off would downtown be if we never come down there? While I agree that the garbage is ridiculous, the lot owners can clean it up. They charged $40 buck and more to park a car there, clean up after. The city is riddled with trash in most of the neighborhoods, write an article about that. Weird thing is that while looking at some pictures of my friends downtown on opening day [[I was at work) I don't see garbage all over the place. Makes me wonder if this was in just a few lots or all of them at the end of the day. I also wonder if there were garbage cans nearby in these areas where the city knew that there were going to be crowds of people.

I have no idea what Jeff Wattrick was trying to achieve with his piece in Deadline, but it certainly did not serve any greater purpose than to result in a lot of finger wagging, tsktsking, and ppffffting.

drunks cause messes. That is not news. Many drunks cause big messes. That also is not news.

To blame so-called suburbanites for Detroit's litter problem certainly seems to raise hackles. The tired old arguments work this way: Detroit is a dumped on by people who don't respect it, which is countered by the folks who say Detroiters litter 364 days so it doesn't matter.

Again, no news here.

all heat, no light. All finger wagging. More resentment. No solutions. No attempt to find a solution, just more kerosene on a smoldering fire.

i have no idea why Wattrick wrote such a meat-headed piece.

And he misused the word non-plussed.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Thanx for pointing that out to me. So what's your point? Because they do it in Spain it's Ok to do it here? My question was to old guy. What did you mean by "I don't think that sort of behavior is a local or regional thing."?
    I guess my statement was a bit vague. I mean that you see people acting the same way in places other than Detroit. I'm not condoning it.

Quote Originally Posted by samsonov View Post
    My friends from the suburbs and I were walking downtown yesterday after the game. We were all appalled by all the garbage left behind. It's common courtesy to clean up after yourself. Everyone knows this!
    Did you ever drive through a lot of the neighborhoods in Detroit? It's common courtesy to clean up after yourself. Everyone knows this!

I also like how the author writes this story assuming that no one at the game actually lives in the city. He blames it only on the suburbanites even though the city has 650,000 + living in it. Do they not like baseball or the festivities?

Yeah duh. I've been to a few baseball games... enjoyed the view and setting even though I am not big sports fan.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrytimes View Post
    I also like how the author writes this story assuming that no one at the game actually lives in the city. He blames it only on the suburbanites even though the city has 650,000 + living in it. Do they not like baseball or the festivities?

Shollin Guest

Most of the city looks like a landfill and yet we're calling out suburbanites for pumping millions of dollars into downtown? I wish Detroiters didn't trash my neighborhood in Harper Woods but it happened. When you put on a large even, there will be clean up. I keep hearing how racist the suburbs are and how we need to come together and help poor Detroit and then Detroiters turn around and cry about the suburbs spending in their city?

No mention of the fact that the drunks were all driving home after the game. I would be more concerned about that!

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    Just for the record, I don't think that sort of behavior is a local or regional thing.
    I couldnt agree more,,, I live downtown and its far cleaner when these big events arent going on,,, People behave like pigs to be honest.. However, go to other cities , and their events, and the same behavior reigns... Its really discusting to see how people have declined in the respect department.. All of our computer moguls like to boast how we have advanced so much in this world,, I have to disagree on that one when it comes to human behavior, we have seriously declined. We are far to consumed in making sure we are "connected" all the time to care about the world we live in and treating each other and our living environments with some respect.

The world hasn't changed much.

Shollin Guest

I can't believe I wasted hundreds of dollars in Detroit. After being unable to get off work Friday for the opener, I went to the game yesterday and stayed downtown to watch the Michigan game. The hypocrisy is appalling. If Detroit doesn't want suburbanites in their city, than by all means feel free to keep your thugs out of the inner ring suburbs. People here support Coleman Young in his thoughts about the suburbs and then will be the first to whine about L Brooks Paterson. You whine about the suburbs abandoning Detroit and then complain when suburbanites come downtown. All this talk about shops and restaurants and yet when they're patronized by suburbanites Detroit whines. I hear how Detroit needs to be the center of the region when they poach jobs from the suburbs but then have the nerve to complain when suburbanites spend their money and free time downtown. I hope the Red Wings move to the Palace. Since my money and time is unwanted in Detroit, that's one less reason to go to Detroit. Auburn Hills doesn't bitch about outsiders coming into the city for an event at the Palace.

Quote Originally Posted by Shollin View Post
    Most of the city looks like a landfill and yet we're calling out suburbanites for pumping millions of dollars into downtown? I wish Detroiters didn't trash my neighborhood in Harper Woods but it happened. When you put on a large even, there will be clean up. I keep hearing how racist the suburbs are and how we need to come together and help poor Detroit and then Detroiters turn around and cry about the suburbs spending in their city?
    The majority of the garbage was left by people who were tailgating before the game. Tailgating in a parking lot does not "pump millions into downtown". The beer, cups, ice and snacks and other crap that was left all over the place was all purchased in the suburbs. The people who went to downtown bars and restaurants were the ones doing the money pumping. I think it's fair to say that most people who attended the game were respectful baseball fans. Unfortunately though opening day in Detroit is such an event that it brings out all types and that includes the meathead fratboy tailgaters.

CAY may have been right about suburbanites trashing the city during events, but what about the rest of the time? Or even Devil's Night? City residents trashing their own neighborhoods. I don't think the many abandoned buildings in the city would have been in such bad shape if they had been left alone. The residents trashed the city 100x more than suburbanites ever did.

Quote Originally Posted by Shollin View Post
    I can't believe I wasted hundreds of dollars in Detroit. After being unable to get off work Friday for the opener, I went to the game yesterday and stayed downtown to watch the Michigan game. The hypocrisy is appalling. If Detroit doesn't want suburbanites in their city, than by all means feel free to keep your thugs out of the inner ring suburbs. People here support Coleman Young in his thoughts about the suburbs and then will be the first to whine about L Brooks Paterson. You whine about the suburbs abandoning Detroit and then complain when suburbanites come downtown. All this talk about shops and restaurants and yet when they're patronized by suburbanites Detroit whines. I hear how Detroit needs to be the center of the region when they poach jobs from the suburbs but then have the nerve to complain when suburbanites spend their money and free time downtown. I hope the Red Wings move to the Palace. Since my money and time is unwanted in Detroit, that's one less reason to go to Detroit. Auburn Hills doesn't bitch about outsiders coming into the city for an event at the Palace.
    We should set up a pitbull ring for you and Poobert... you're too opposite ends of the spectrum... exactly the types of people who don't contribute to solving the regional divisive issues... First he takes a shot at the suburbs.. and then you reply with one against Detroit...

Poobert is surprised he didn't take out a suburbanite yet... Actually I'm more surprised that with his anger issues, that he hasn't yet been shot for "disrespectin" a Detroiter.

And you still have a bug up your behind about the issue of Detroit getting Campbell Ewald. Where do you think they started out?? In Detroit! Wjat upi call poaching... I call ping pong... it just keeps going back and forth...
    Last edited by Gistok; April-07-13 at 11:09 AM.

Article is bullshit:

People have a basic understanding that they shouldn’t treat Royal Oak as a pigsty. People have no such inhibitions when in downtown Detroit.
    Walk around the UofM Golf Course after a game day football tailgate and you will see that it is similarly trashed. In fact, walk down Hoover Street after a home football game and you will find that it is an avenue of garbage left by the tens of thousands of people streaming out of Michigan Stadium.

But since Ann Arbor is a majority-white city, I guess there's no "us vs them" angle that can be tagged on to some inconsiderate UofM fans leaving a mess on game days.

I guess even littering can be turned into something racial by some people.

Shollin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    We should set up a pitbull ring for you and Poobert... you're too opposite ends of the spectrum... exactly the types of people who don't contribute to solving the regional divisive issues... First he takes a shot at the suburbs.. and then you reply with one against Detroit...

Poobert is surprised he didn't take out a suburbanite yet... Actually I'm more surprised that with his anger issues, that he hasn't yet been shot for "disrespectin" a Detroiter.

And you still have a bug up your behind about the issue of Detroit getting Campbell Ewald. Where do you think they started out?? In Detroit...
    I don't care about Campbell Ewald. Warren doesn't have the trash issue Detroit apparently does. I just can't get past the fact that Detroit will whine and cry about the suburbs abandoning them and complain when they come into the city and spend money in the city. One of my hobbies is to travel to different cities and watch baseball games and downtown Detroit is no trashier than any other city I've been too. When you have thousands of people gathering at one place, there will be trash. It's part of the cost of putting on large events. If Detroit doesn't want to put on these events then by all means don't cry when they go to the suburbs.

What I have a bug about is how Detroiters trashed my neighborhood in Harper Woods. How they trashed Eastland and disturbed the safety and well being of the citizens by robbing and shooting them. Look at Walmart and 14 and Van Dyke and look how Detroiters trashed that store.

There you go talking about the divisive issues and then I'm being blamed when I spent hundreds of dollars in the city. The city is a landfill and people are burning it down but god help is if someone from the suburbs drops a wrapper in the city.

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    I guess my statement was a bit vague. I mean that you see people acting the same way in places other than Detroit. I'm not condoning it.
    Thanx for the clarification, old guy.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    I must say, few love baseball as much as I, but I was kind of thankful to be at work to avoid the Hoedown Part 2 and all the wasted suburban assholes that come with it, to be perfectly blunt.

I just don't get why Detroit gets so disrespected - by both Detroiters and suburbanites. As much as people like to gush about how "nice" people are around here, I've found about maybe 10% are decent citizens with any sense of responsibility to anyone or anything but themselves.

Glad I wasn't around to see that shit. I'd probably land myself in jail for fighting somebody in an Inge jersey.

http://www.deadlinedetroit.com/artic...on_opening_day
    Detroit's stuff is shit, the suburb's shit is stuff.

It's disgusting that people who live in the city and suburban dwellers go out of their way to do ignorant shit in the city, they wouldn't dream of doing outside.

The missing neurons it takes to make a mess in Detroit, justify it because "the rest of the week/other neighborhoods look like that", then bitch about how bad downtown looks boggles the mind.

I used to ride the bus from high school when the Wings were winning every other year. I have never seen more trash on the streets than after a Stanley Cup win. I think the image that the suburbanites left, is what they truly envision the city to look like at all times.

I wish STRESS, or the Big Four, or Gang Squad or Stop and Frisk or whatever barely concealed racist law enforcement apparatus they so wish to return to was there for these suburban holidays.

I don't support police brutality. But GODDAMN do some people need and beg for it!

Quote Originally Posted by jjw View Post
    No mention of the fact that the drunks were all driving home after the game. I would be more concerned about that!
    The EFM protestors kept their speed in check. Another public service by the COD. [[Citizens Of Detroit).

Shollin Guest

Has anyone been to Royal Oak on a weekend? You want to talk about fratboys and trash. I have never been to a large event regardless of city or state that didn't have to clean up afterwards. This boggles the mind this finger pointing at the suburbs. What a bunch of hypocrites.

I seem to see a lot of this "only in Detroit" mentality on these forums. Many of the problems I see in Detroit are not unique. Detroit does have its own unique set of problems, but assholes are not one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Yeah duh. I've been to a few baseball games... enjoyed the view and setting even though I am not big sports fan.
    Did you piss in public or throw your trash out the window? If not, what kind of sports fan are you? You paid for a ticket, you paid to park your car, you probably paid for a burger before or after, that entitles you to come in and do WTF you want! After all, it is "DeToilet". On the WORST possible day of Detroit resident littering, NOTHING compares to a sports event.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; April-07-13 at 12:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrytimes View Post
    I love how Detroit loves to complain about the suburbanites all the time. How many millions and millions were spent in the city because of them yesterday? How well off would downtown be if we never come down there? While I agree that the garbage is ridiculous, the lot owners can clean it up. They charged $40 buck and more to park a car there, clean up after. The city is riddled with trash in most of the neighborhoods, write an article about that. Weird thing is that while looking at some pictures of my friends downtown on opening day [[I was at work) I don't see garbage all over the place. Makes me wonder if this was in just a few lots or all of them at the end of the day. I also wonder if there were garbage cans nearby in these areas where the city knew that there were going to be crowds of people.
    Here's a question for you How many of those "millions" you so generously spent in Detroit, actually ended up in the City's pockets? How many of those "millions" that Ilitch ended up with, actually go towards cleaning up the trash and urine left behind by those generous sports fans?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast