We dropped in to the new Maccabees restaurant on the first floor of the Maccabees school building on Woodward just north of Warren last night for dinner.

My Livonia friend and his bride drew us into this place, as they'd already been in last week on the advice of one of her clients, who happens to be the owner Peter's mother.

What an amazing joint. It is beautifully appointed, with acres of dark wood and cool light fixtures, and if you get the right seat...an amazing view of the skylight fading from the huge front window.

But that is just the start of it....the waitstaff is excellent, although I'm biased...one of our downtown buddies is working here now. But I'd never had discussions about high-end food with him at Foran's Grand Trunk pub...he totally smoked my brain with the depth of his knowledge, and after his delivery I left wondering why he wasn't selling more expensive things.

Livonia-friend had the burger again, even after searching the menu for something else to try...it was too great to ignore. Damn thing comes stacked 9-inches high stabbed with a steak-knife to keep it upright. His bride had Lone Ranger, the beef brisket on potato pancake 'buns'...which she also had the last time, and it was so good she didn't dare miss it.

My honey got the cod special, which we all agreed was simply the best cod any of us had ever tasted. I went with their Maccabees & Cheese, which is their version of gormet mac&cheese...with the sliders to start. Server said they had the best mac&cheese in town, and afterward I have to agree with him. One foodie critic complained about the proliferation of mac&cheese on every new restaurant menu, but I have fun using it as a recognizable benchmark.

Their sliders use the same beef brisket...and quite frankly are a meal to themself. I'm still full...twelve hours later!

Owner Peter is engaging and friendly...his welcome to all is palpable. This radiates through the staff, and the whole joint is comfortable and competent...while large enough for big parties. We witnessed two parties build as folks waited on their mates...and it looked like a great time was had by all.

It seems easy at Maccabees, the great time is infectious there.

Cheers