Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: MCS cleanup?

Quote Originally Posted by Sstashmoo View Post
    Quote: Agreed. That place is just another piece in his chess set. What I am amazed by is that they are allowing anyone entrance to that property. Are these folks entering legally? The liability of allowing people in to a delinquent structure like that is off the charts stupid. Imagine 30 or so folks in there and one of the floors collapse? Huge lawsuit.
    I highly doubt that any "volunteers" will ever be allowed to work above the ground floor. So that makes it unlikely that any floor would collapes with them on it. After all stairs can be a tripping hazzard.

I live in Monroe and there are plenty of things that draw me to Corktown and other parts of Detroit. I'm with you, Gsgeorge.

Stromberg2

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    I highly doubt that any "volunteers" will ever be allowed to work above the ground floor. So that makes it unlikely that any floor would collapes with them on it. After all stairs can be a tripping hazzard.
    We worked on the mezzanine and took down about 3 tons worth of dirt off that floor, no problem. Read my other post. It was vastly overbuilt. The floors were made of a layer of concrete with a steel base. Not rebar, steel! Infact 7,000 tons of structural steel makeup that building! Those floors aren't going anywhere. There were only holes in the floor where there were pipes or other structures that have since been removed.

Source: Railway Age Gazette January 9, 1914

Quote Originally Posted by EastSider View Post
    Wow, never saw that coming! I'd talk to somebody about any waivers you signed, see if they'd hold up in court or if there was any deception on the part of the company in the drafting of them.
    Summer in the City has pretty great liability insurance. Besides that the problem was not the amount of exposure, but the fact that continued exposure could cause further issues.

Just posted this article on Flickr. It's from a January 1914 edition of Railway Age Gazette detailing almost everything about the building from the foundation to the power plant in the basement!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ashtonp...7621870139708/

Check it out=)

WOW! $7 Million back then was an incredible sum.

Gsgeorge, I have to agree with you, the Corktown area is a fair draw for all types of people. I was there July 11 in the afternoon for a stop at Nemo's and there was a big crowd there. I make a stop at the Gaelic League a couple of times per year and it's never dull there. It's not Greektown or even Mexicantown but Corktown is far from dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpeteer View Post
    WOW! $7 Million back then was an incredible sum.
    Definitely!

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    All fine for locals, but nothing that would draw anyone to the area that didn't live there.
    You've got to be kidding me, have you ever been to Detroit before?? Nemo's and Slow's alone draw huge amounts of suburban Detroiters. In fact, ask Phil Cooley and he'll probably tell you the clientelle at Slow's is MAJORITY out-of-towners. Try getting into Slow's on a Friday afternoon or finding a seat in Nemo's on a game day. Not all those people live in Corktown or even within the city limits. Also MCS is an attraction for outtatowners. I was there for twenty minutes last week and four carloads of suburbanites pulled up to take photos including a car with two visitors from France, then many of them wandered to Slow's across the street for lunch. You should try visiting yourself some time.

Just wanted to share this with everyone. If Buffalo can do it, I certainly hope Detroit can. Please, please god let this happen.... in both cities...

http://www.buffalonews.com/home/story/742971.html?imw=Y

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gsgeorge View Post
    Just wanted to share this with everyone. If Buffalo can do it, I certainly hope Detroit can. Please, please god let this happen.... in both cities...

http://www.buffalonews.com/home/story/742971.html?imw=Y
    Yep take a good look at this terminal:

Here's the backstory, quite similar to MCS, but with a twist:

The Buffalo Central Terminal, bult in 1929 for the New York Central railroad company. It had about 200 trains a day came through here. This was at one time the second largest rail center in the United States. This was also the main place where WW II soldiers would go to war. Then the rail service took a big rail decline. In 1979, the Buffalo Central Terminal closed. In 1980, a man named Anthony Fedele bought the building for $75,000. He had some events in the building such as floor hockey games, concerts, and Dyngus day. Tony even made an apartment on the second floor. In 1986, he was evicted from the building because of taxes. That same year a man named Thomas Telesco bought the building for $100,000. He only bought the building for the valuables like the clock, office furniture, brass door knobs, or anything that was valuable. During the time Telesco owned the place, vandels would come in and smash anything that was breakable. Then a man named Sam Tuchman bought the building. He stripped out anything Telesco missed. The vandals also kept coming into the building. In 1997 the Central Terminal Restoration Corporation bought the building for $1.00. They have sealed up the whole building from vandals and weather. They have cleaned out the Main Concourse and cleaned out many other areas. They even host many events throughtout the spring-fall months.
    All from this guy's site, with a slide show.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ozzmani...ns/2976277944/

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6