Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: MCS cleanup?

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    I made this point before: If it improves the neighborhood, who cares? People who live and work there are sure to appreciate the improvements, and it will give the whole area a more dynamic look. If the owner won't do it, and the city won't make him, why should we as residents of the area, or visitors, or people who appreciate the building, put in a little sweat equity to make it look better? Who loses with that scenario? No one. There is a great deal of satisfaction to be gained in making an eyesore look good, no matter who SHOULD be doing it.
    From what I can tell, there are two different groups at work here. The work going on outside may be nice for the community, but from what I can tell those people are volunteers organized by the guy from Slow's, who certainly has a vested interest in the area looking nice.

The Summer in the City folks, however, are cleaning the INSIDE of the train station. Nobody sees the inside of the train station, except those in there illegally or those volunteering to clean it. They are cleaning a billionaire's neglected structure for free, and their organization receives donations from people who probably would rather see that money going towards fixing neighborhoods or planting trees, or SOMETHING that will actually be noticeable and isn't just doing the work that a negligent landlord refuses to do.

Agree, JohnLodge - and wonder the same about the parents whose kids are providing the labor. Summer in the City is a fascinating web site. Thanks for calling it to my attention. I'd heard of them once or twice, but never actually looked it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnlodge View Post
    From what I can tell, there are two different groups at work here. The work going on outside may be nice for the community, but from what I can tell those people are volunteers organized by the guy from Slow's, who certainly has a vested interest in the area looking nice.
    I think you are right. One group is led by the person from Slow's, and the other by John Mohyi, a Wayne State student.

The Summer in the City folks, however, are cleaning the INSIDE of the train station. Nobody sees the inside of the train station, except those in there illegally or those volunteering to clean it. They are cleaning a billionaire's neglected structure for free, and their organization receives donations from people who probably would rather see that money going towards fixing neighborhoods or planting trees, or SOMETHING that will actually be noticeable and isn't just doing the work that a negligent landlord refuses to do.
    Johnlodge, I think that you have a very fair point. But the Summer in the City folks also worked on plantings outside the station, which clearly improves its appearance for everyone. I also think that through these volunteer efforts, it will be more likely that the station might in the end be saved. I completely understand and sympathize with the "make the billionaire clean it up" thought, and I do agree with it in many ways.

At the same time, the city has never made Maroun clean up the property, and it does not appear that they will in the near future, either. The city's approach seems to be "Do something with it or we will demolish it." At least these volunteers, by taking things into their own hands, may make it more likely that something might be done with the structure.

Finally, the fact that the station was cleaned out on the inside may make it more likely that future improvements will be made, and that more groups may eventually be allowed to make use of the property. That said, I do acknowledge that until the station is secured, the long-term benefits of the cleanup remain unclear. [[Last I heard, they were still claiming the city owns the property through which people are entering).

Cman, it is highly questionable whether cleaning the inside of the station really makes it any more likely anything will be done with it. If Maroun was at all interested in selling it or developing it into something worthwhile, he'd hire a crew to clean it and the work would be done in a couple days. They aren't providing any service that he couldn't have easily had done himself if there was any motivation to do something with the property.

The real issue here is taking money from people that you promise to use in a certain way, and then using it to benefit a billionaire instead of those in need.

Summer in the City is a 501[[c)[[3) non-profit organization that works to strengthen neighborhoods in and build a strong future for Southeast Michigan by bringing together a diverse group of young people to perform community service.

Summer in the City is funded exclusively by private donations and dedicates all of its resources to creating volunteer opportunities that engage young people and raise the quality of life in Detroit. Donations to Summer in the City go directly to projects including mentoring youth, painting murals, planting community gardens, building parks and demolishing blighted property.

Which part of this mission includes cleaning out a billionaire's neglected property, even though nobody in the community will ever see the results? How many youths could have been mentored? How many community gardens planted? The only person benefiting from this is Matty. Shame on him, and shame on Summer in the City for being so enamored by this landlord's blighted property that they would use donated time and money to clean it for him.

As for the Slow's and DaimlerChrysler folks cleaning the outside, that I understand. They have to look at that crap every day, and their customers have to look at that crap every day, and apparently the city and Matty have no intention of doing anything about it.

Off topic: Here is something I don't understand and maybe someone can clear it up for me, why is it that Moroun is holding onto the train station? If he has no plans to develop it then why not just let it go? I don't understand the rationale behind this slum lord.

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    Off topic: Here is something I don't understand and maybe someone can clear it up for me, why is it that Moroun is holding onto the train station? If he has no plans to develop it then why not just let it go? I don't understand the rationale behind this slum lord.
    I think the prevailing theory is that the other border crossing comes out there, a rail tunnel under the river. Anybody who owned that could compete with his bridge[[s). Remember the talk about the "jobs tunnel"?

Off the record, I heard that they will be cleaning up the main floor, possibly power washing off the graffiti and removing all glass in the building, and then opening up the main lobby to the public, whilst closing off the rest of the structure. Should this turn out to be the case [[I'll believe it when I see it), cleaning the interior would make sense. Otherwise, I'd have to agree with those who say that it's a waste of time / Moroun making a BS case for himself.

Interesting that this started on the 30th, I was there around sunrise:

Attachment 2206Attachment 2207Attachment 2205

[[And lets all applaud the forums image manipulation.)

Cman, it is highly questionable whether cleaning the inside of the station really makes it any more likely anything will be done with it. If Maroun was at all interested in selling it or developing it into something worthwhile, he'd hire a crew to clean it and the work would be done in a couple days. They aren't providing any service that he couldn't have easily had done himself if there was any motivation to do something with the property.
    I agree with you that it is highly questionable whether cleaning the inside of the station really makes it any more likely anything will be done with it. In fact, I think it is more likely than not that it will make no difference. Clearly, Maroun has the money to clean, powerwash, and secure the building, and he seems unwilling to do so. Personally, I think that getting him to commit to securing the building should be a prerequisite to further volunteer efforts on the inside. At the same time, I think it is admirable that volunteers have gotten the permission of the owner to at least make some cosmetic improvements on the outside within the fence perimeter, and to make some improvements to the inside.

The real issue here is taking money from people that you promise to use in a certain way, and then using it to benefit a billionaire instead of those in need.

Which part of this mission includes cleaning out a billionaire's neglected property, even though nobody in the community will ever see the results? How many youths could have been mentored? How many community gardens planted? The only person benefiting from this is Matty. Shame on him, and shame on Summer in the City for being so enamored by this landlord's blighted property that they would use donated time and money to clean it for him.

As for the Slow's and DaimlerChrysler folks cleaning the outside, that I understand. They have to look at that crap every day, and their customers have to look at that crap every day, and apparently the city and Matty have no intention of doing anything about it.
    I never stated that this was a proper use of Summer in the City's money, nor do I have any idea how the partnership with that organization was established or why it was established, as I am not acquainted with the organization or the volunteers. I think one would need to talk to people at that organization to see why they authorized this project before making a final judgment. Internal improvements to the station do not appear to further their mission, but if those improvements led to the eventual opening of the main hall to the public, that could be a different story.

Downtown diva Guest

Quote Originally Posted by davewindsor View Post
    I can't find a thread on this here, but I was another forum recently and noticed they had a thread on Michigan Central Station being cleaned up by volunteers. There was a guy who posted pictures of himself with 49 others cleaning up the inside a week ago and then there was another article in the DFP posted where 70 Daimler employees were cleaning up Roosevelt park in front of it, raking garden beds and planting reed grass and sedum http://www.detnews.com/article/20090...relict-station
    The poster was trashed to no end with personal attacks for volunteering and I saw no more pictures of what's happening with that place. It didn't surprise me. If I volunteered and posted and was trashed, I wouldn't post again either. I realize people have issues with Mouron and we have a lot of complainers in Windsor too over the bridge. But, this is such an amazing feat of architecture for this local area that was almost demo'd and a lot of volunteers took the time to clean it up to show that it's worth saving. Being that I'm from across the river and not down that much, is there anyone from that group here or will anyone be posting more pictures of the progress on what's happening with the MCS? Is Mouron going to put windows on it in the future if it's cleaned up. I wish there was more positive feedback on what's happening and going to happen with that place.
    you are right.

those people on the "Nameless Forum" are nasty. They were really mean to this kid who obviously was trying to make a difference.....I like this "Vanilla" site better anyways.

Retroit Guest

ventura67, there are some picks of Matty Maroun here: [[also an interesting bio.)
    http://www.corpmagazine.com/Departme...1/Default.aspx

My feeling on the topic: Maroun didn't pay people to trash the place; why should he pay people to clean up the trash?

Retroit, I don't think I've ever read a more fawning profile of anyone than that story in Corp Magazine. Quote of a lifetime:

“I don’t care if I make a buck, I just want to save the building.†- Matty Moroun

The comments posted below the story are even worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    My feeling on the topic: Maroun didn't pay people to trash the place; why should he pay people to clean up the trash?
    Well for one because he owns the building, and is thus responsible for its upkeep. Think about this scenario: Your house is broken into, or even your garage. The people thrash about looking for things of value, maybe they break in for a thrill and just destroy things. You obviously didn't pay these people to trash the place, but you will most definitely clean it up or pay someone to clean it up for you. You do this because you own the place, and you won't accept it to be in a trashed state.

Moroun owns the building, and its his responsibility to clean it up. One could argue that even if Moroun didn't pay people to trash MCS, he never deterred them from doing so. Regardless, the cleanup/rehab/demolition should rest squarely on his shoulders and his wallet.

ventura67, there are some picks of Matty Maroun here: [[also an interesting bio.)
    http://www.corpmagazine.com/Departme...1/Default.aspx

So I guess every piece of litter that floats into your yard, or is thrown there by a pedestrian stays there forever? Your neighbors must love you.

Lorax Guest

Strange how the reporter didn't ask why the Matted One couldn't afford to guard the building and keep it in the state it was when he purchased it.

He obviously doesn't care about it, or it wouldn't look the way it does.

What a softball, cloying, patronizing article.

Retroit Guest

I think you all are being too harsh on Maroun. If the vandals would have kept out of the MCS, it would not be in the condition that it is in. If my neighbor's house was broken into and trashed, I would be the first to offer them my help in cleaning the place up. Whether they are a billionaire or not is beside the point. Through evil, harm is done; through goodness, harm is undone.

I think you all are being too harsh on Maroun. If the vandals would have kept out of the MCS, it would not be in the condition that it is in. If my neighbor's house was broken into and trashed, I would be the first to offer them my help in cleaning the place up. Whether they are a billionaire or not is beside the point. Through evil, harm is done; through goodness, harm is undone.
    Even if your neighbor was a billionaire that left his front door opened all the time and sat on his couch while you did all the work?

Summarized from the MCS volunteer newsletter:

Home Depot corporate has expressed interest in providing materials, equipment, and professional volunteers to the MCS cleanup. Phase II, starting July 10th will only require volunteers with a background in construction. Phase III will be an artistic phase to improve the aesthetics of the building. A proposal is being developed for reuse to utilize the fact that MCS is the only station in America where 5 separate railroad tracks come together and should be ground-zero of the American High-Speed Railroad initiative. The first leg would be to Chicago and the second would be to Toronto.

www.savemichigancentral.com

Thanks for the info Russix!

Now if we could just get Pella to donate custom windows....

Lorax Guest

Cheers to the good news for Detroit's Parthenon.

I have a funny feeling MCS will survive, as long as the pressure to save it, and the resources are being expended to draw attention to it's plight. Which I think is kicking up a notch.

I still think the idea of staging a evening series of operas with a golden lit MCS in the backgound would do more to draw attention to this magnificent ruin, and may publicize it's threatened condition more than anything else, assuming any performances or concerts held in front are filmed, and shown on PBS.

Production values need to be superb, as was the case with the Andre Rieu, and Three Tenors concerts, which were filmed with nightlighted historical backdrops.

What do the Baths of Caracalla have over the MCS anyway?!!

I was down at the cleanup today. They had a lot of people working. 30-50 volunteers easily. Mostly high-school aged kids. Lots of adults showed up for some of the heavy-duty lifting, and one guy from the bridge company was using a blowtorch to cut up pieces of steel and piping that had fallen from the ceiling. The place is looking good. Word is that next week some architectural students are coming to remove and replace the glass in the front windows of the building. The grounds are looking good too -- weeds were cut back, debris collected, and flowers & ornamental grasses planted. Despite all the bad press, the Bridge Company provided a lot -- including the heavy-duty construction equipment like the bulldozers for debris removal, and brought a few paid staff down to the site to keep an eye on things & help out. Also, the Bridge Co will be feeding everyone there with a huge barbeque out in front of the station.

Needless to say, it was a strange experience to be in the station and see it buzzing with activity and echoing with voices. In a small way, the station has a bit of its old life back. The floors are clean, the largest pieces of debris are removed, and more work is set to be done on Tuesday. However strange it may seem to have people volunteering their time for a billionaire, we must applaud their efforts. It sends a strong signal to the city council and area leaders that people really do WANT this building to be saved. And now, we're that much closer to bringing the station back to life.

John Mohyi & the others involved in leading the cleanup efforts are dedicated to putting together a viable & realistic restoration plan for the station. John wants to keep it a public space, as opposed to an off-limits government complex or the like. A number of good ideas are being tossed around. And, as it turns out, the office tower may remain, despite calls for its removal. Things are really looking good!
    Last edited by Gsgeorge; July-10-09 at 11:59 AM.

gravitymachine Guest

i think it's kind of unfortunate that the billionaire is relying on volunteer labor instead of spending a buck or two on paid persons to do the same work, but i don't doubt the place is better off either way, and it does show some community interest in the building.

what i really want to know is, with all this work and goodwill going into the place, when is the bridge company going to take sealing up the grounds seriuosly? there is still a gaping entrance into the old baggage area in the vernor underpass thats been there for months

GREAT NEWS!! This is the news I wish was aired more often!

Quote Originally Posted by gravitymachine View Post
    what i really want to know is, with all this work and goodwill going into the place, when is the bridge company going to take sealing up the grounds seriuosly? there is still a gaping entrance into the old baggage area in the vernor underpass thats been there for months
    This has been a major point of contention between the Bridge Co. and the city. As of this week, the Bridge Co. has finally sealed their portion of the building -- forget trying to get in, the station is now inaccessible through the typical entry points. The key is this -- the CITY actually owns the loading docks, and the CITY is responsible for the upkeep and security of all bridges & underpasses in the city. So the City has left a gaping hole in the garage doors there. Maroun & the Bridge Co. own the station itself, not the loading docks. So you can enter the loading docks [[city's portion), but forget trying to get into the station -- there are now a few sets of some major steel bars blocking the ramp that leads to the concourse [[Matty's portion). And new doors & windows are coming next week, which will seal the front of the building for good. Also word is a new [[more ornamental and secure) fence is coming as well.

Looks like the days of exploring the station, shooting photos with no one around, bringing beers up to the roof with some buddies, etc. -- they are over, friends.
    Last edited by Gsgeorge; July-10-09 at 12:27 PM.

gravitymachine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gsgeorge View Post
    This has been a major point of contention between the Bridge Co. and the city. The Bridge Co. has officially sealed their portion of the building -- forget trying to get in, the station is now officially inaccessible through the typical entry points. The key is this -- the CITY actually owns the loading docks, and the CITY is responsible for the upkeep and security of all bridges & underpasses in the city. So the City has left a gaping hole in the garage doors there. Maroun & the Bridge Co. own the station itself, not the loading docks. So you can enter the loading docks [[city's portion), but forget trying to get into the station -- there are now a few sets of some major steel bars blocking the ramp that leads to the concourse [[Matty's portion). And new doors & windows are coming next week, which will seal the front of the building for good.
    i knew that the city owned that portion, what i did not know [[as i have never even been in the thing myself) is whether or not any internal barracading had been undertaken wherever the properties meet, because for a long time after that property delineation came to light in the press, people were still getting in, and people have gotten in as recently as the evening of the fireworks when i spotted some people on the roof.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast