Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Whoa! It's not that convenient, what are you all so excited about? I'd have to walk five hundred and seventy five miles for a takeout?

Quote Originally Posted by michimoby View Post
    Surprisingly enough, the only neighborhood in the "Elite 3" that won't have a walkable grocery store by EOY is...Corktown. Didn't expect that to happen.
    Corktown has Honey Bee, and I'll take that over the other ones any day.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    LMAO. I think that this Bar will be much better managed and will blend in with the setting compared to Red Grape Lounge. I hope that Gilbert will put a Target or something as such in that spot. The Jazz Liquor Store is just in the wrong area. I should be ummmmm on Piquette and John R
    Glad you took my comment with good humor, stasu. If I were Gilbert I would put a Kresge's 5 and 10 in that location.

Target? Schmarget! Every city and suburb can have a Target. But Kresge's is home grown as much as Hudson's was. So why not put the lunch counter back in, go retro, serve Sanders Hot Fudge Sundaes and Boston Coolers, and give Detroiters what they need in the way of essentials to boot? Part museum but very practical, too.

As for Jazz, I still think they have a right to exist anywhere they can afford the rent and provide a service to the folks nearby. As I've said before, they are a clean, well-kept store that happens to sell liquor and the fact is people of all stripes buy liquor in this town. IMHO, they contribute by being an active business providing jobs and tax revenue to the city which is more than you can say about many vacant storefronts within 2 blocks of them.

When Woodward becomes Detroit's Magnificent Mile and rents rival those in Chicago, then Jazz will either move, or be forced to cater to the snobby folks that prefer a single malt rather than a malt liquor. Until then, I'm happy to have their tax revenues.

downtownguy, bringing back an old style five and dime especially a Kresge's with a lunchcounter, with old channel letter signage and old style uniforms for the staff might be a nice touch. Remember the old goofy turquoise colored icing on cakes at Woolworth's?

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    Corktown has Honey Bee, and I'll take that over the other ones any day.
    Note: I said "walkable". For those of us in East C-town, the walk down Bagley is a bit far, including a traverse across a four-lane road.

Quote Originally Posted by MidTownMs View Post
    Are they going to accept EBT cards?
    so your first comment after we have a good notice of good things that might come downtown is to add poor people will hang out and ruin the experience. i must say...good for you!

Hilarious!

Quote Originally Posted by Chinman View Post
    so your first comment after we have a good notice of good things that might come downtown is to add poor people will hang out and ruin the experience. i must say...good for you!
    I think you should have your W2 ready to show someone @ the door to gain entry.

Glad you took my comment with good humor, stasu. If I were Gilbert I would put a Kresge's 5 and 10 in that location.

Target? Schmarget! Every city and suburb can have a Target. But Kresge's is home grown as much as Hudson's was. So why not put the lunch counter back in, go retro, serve Sanders Hot Fudge Sundaes and Boston Coolers, and give Detroiters what they need in the way of essentials to boot? Part museum but very practical, too.

As for Jazz, I still think they have a right to exist anywhere they can afford the rent and provide a service to the folks nearby. As I've said before, they are a clean, well-kept store that happens to sell liquor and the fact is people of all stripes buy liquor in this town. IMHO, they contribute by being an active business providing jobs and tax revenue to the city which is more than you can say about many vacant storefronts within 2 blocks of them.

When Woodward becomes Detroit's Magnificent Mile and rents rival those in Chicago, then Jazz will either move, or be forced to cater to the snobby folks that prefer a single malt rather than a malt liquor. Until then, I'm happy to have their tax revenues.
    I like their Christmas lights.

The question may have been rhetorical. After all Trader Joes, Whole Foods, Holliday Market etc. in the suburbs all take EBT, but they don't have a big flashing 'EBT' sign in their window! And the folks using the EBT card may look the same as the person using their visa or cash!!

These stores have a growing percentage of food stamp shoppers and who'd opt out of that income stream? I don't expect Papa Joes to NOT except EBT!

Quote Originally Posted by Chinman View Post
    Last edited by Zacha341; March-29-13 at 08:50 AM.

Why wouldn't they? Whole Foods does...

That is actually a great idea! The FD/DG concept is pretty much the same thing. Add a bit of nostalgia and you're good to go.

This new market is going to want access to a main street. Makes me wonder when Zef's and the small variety store next to it are going to be given thier walking papers?

Why so much hate against Jazz Convenience Store? It's better than most, and with only a few placed to buy liquor downtown I am glad it's there. Real cities have people living in them, and people need places to buy Liquor, I don't see how that interferes with having expensive grocery stores and high-end shops. Not everyone wants to drink at the bar, some people want to take it home to their brand new loft.

^^^^ I agree. At least it is not scuzzy, scummy as some liquor stores in the rougher hoods can be.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    The question may have been rhetorical. After all Trader Joes, Whole Foods, Holliday Market etc. in the suburbs all take EBT, but they don't have a big flashing 'EBT' sign in their window! And the folks using the EBT card may look the same as the person using their visa or cash!!

These stores have a growing percentage of food stamp shoppers and who'd opt out of that income stream? I don't expect Papa Joes to NOT except EBT!

46 million people on food stamps in the US. One out of 6 people. I guess it's hard to avoid even one of them on a slow day. Maybe a little treat is not such a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    That is actually a great idea! The FD/DG concept is pretty much the same thing. Add a bit of nostalgia and you're good to go.

This new market is going to want access to a main street. Makes me wonder when Zef's and the small variety store next to it are going to be given thier walking papers?
    Already happened. Yesterday That small convenience store moved over by the entrance off Congress.

Or the ability to purchase some items in bulks or a vegetable here and there, though clearly the stores that I referenced are higher in their produce rates for example. Whole Foods is extremely high in produce and many other things.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    46 million people on food stamps in the US. One out of 6 people. I guess it's hard to avoid even one of them on a slow day. Maybe a little treat is not such a bad thing.
    Last edited by Zacha341; March-29-13 at 11:51 AM.

Parking will be interesting and a factor relative to my shopping there. Perhaps they can have a lot like at Trader Joes in Grosse Point were you enter and get a ticket you can have validated for free parking once you are done shopping. That works out well...

Why so much hate against Jazz Convenience Store? It's better than most, and with only a few placed to buy liquor downtown I am glad it's there. Real cities have people living in them, and people need places to buy Liquor, I don't see how that interferes with having expensive grocery stores and high-end shops. Not everyone wants to drink at the bar, some people want to take it home to their brand new loft.

I think it has more to do with their choice of blinding, garish, flashing lights, than with the fact that it's a liquor store. I usually like the super-modern, bright-colored, flashy stuff, but even I think that place is way too much.

^^^^ I did not write the above comment you are responding too. It was written by "Casscorridor" post #38.

Whole Foods is extremely high in produce and many other things.
    Are you comparing them with the organic stuff in the big grocery stores? Because, IIRC, Whole Foods only carries organic produce, which is usually 1.5x-2x the price of the regular stuff, and is about on-par with supermarkets.

Most things I've picked up at Whole Foods seem to be on par with the exact same item at Meijer's. Their baby food was actually cheaper [[same brand/size/flavor)

^^^^ I may be a bit off with the specifics of 'produce' at commercial stores including HF organic to the specific pricing - but I know it is higher than say Greenland in Dearborn, but of course there is the organic factor. And I do some of that....

I mostly shop so called 'ethnic' grocers for my produce or the fruit markets etc. I juice so I need the 10 lemons for a dollar option! ---- And I cannot spend $3 dollars for one bell pepper like is the thing at Krogers. Though I shop Krogers for other things.

Sorry Zacha, whenever I paste a quote inside the box, it always quotes the previous poster.

my only question is about parking. yes...it will help the folks who live downtown, but if they are hoping to get a shopping person, where can they park for free or cheaply for length of time?

Yep, and it needs to stay open beyond six o'clock or it will rarely see me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast