Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Threaded View

Default Packard Plant style scrapping operation in N. Corktown

Those of you in the area will recognize this building at the intersection of Trumbull, Grand River, and MLK.

Name:  Screen Shot 2013-03-27 at 5.11.01 PM.jpg
Views: 2249
Size:  24.7 KB

It looks nothing like the Google street view image any longer. The blocked-over windows are charred and wide open.

It has been vacant for a number of years. Last summer, it sustained a large fire. It was rumored that at least one scrapper who set the fire was killed in it.

Today, riding to the post office on Fort, I passed the back lot of the building on the Trumbull side. There were a handful of pickup trucks, a dump truck, and a bobcat.

Name:  Screen Shot 2013-03-27 at 5.18.57 PM.jpg
Views: 1819
Size:  30.2 KB

Name:  Screen Shot 2013-03-27 at 5.19.25 PM.jpg
Views: 1663
Size:  29.1 KB

Gone is the steel truck dock shelter. Being loaded onto the bobcat appeared to be structural steel. I didn't get a photo when I passed the first time, but I-beams were being sliced up to apparently fit in the dump truck.

Name:  Screen Shot 2013-03-27 at 5.19.12 PM.jpg
Views: 1550
Size:  41.9 KB
    Last edited by Pcm; March-27-13 at 04:27 PM.