Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Gannon, You hit the nail on the head. This firms work, especially their interior design looks like child's playroom filled with florescent and primary colors meant to stimulate children's imagination as if they kids have trouble with that or these interiors are meant for children.

The justification for this designs are the following.
    eye-popping, yet sophisticated environment for the Rock Companies Executive Suite. Rossetti translated the “live, work, play” lifestyle into offices that are executive, yet don’t take themselves too seriously.

Name:  01.jpg
Views: 500
Size:  24.1 KB

Gannon,
    You know I completly respect you but I have to say I truly do not understand your hatred of Dan Gilbert. Outside of his hideous design schemes and posting of building rules in the lobby [[gotta admit I am still baffled why this is a problem) what has been negative about his investment into downtown. All he has done is buy underutilized buildings fixed them up and filled them with workers. I see absolutly no issue with this. If you don't want him in Detroit please send him up here to Flint because we need him and would actually appreciate what he has done.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Nice. It must've felt good, in a way, when they came down then. Other than the waste and time lost to what could've been, of course.

It is oddly funny, then, to contrast the firm high-tailing it out of town after that fiasco...only to be drawn back by the new fiasco-master, Dan Gilbert himself.

Word is out every paint manufacturer is sending Quicken cheap buckets of all the paint they haven't been able to sell...and the furniture makers are having a blast emptying out their warehouses of misfit toys. Dan Gilbert is, single-handedly, causing a revolution in handling the recycling of horrid design elements! Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by Shollin View Post
    Yay, more jobs shuffling around and no new job creation.
    I imagine the moving company involved in the relocation, the contractors doing any buildout, etc. would have a more favorable view of this move.

Gumby,
    I refuse to join the bandwagon of someone who supported Kwhyme Kilpatrick in his last hour of 'need' to stay in his corrupt office, and who now holds such power in the city using his own deck of cards precariously stacked to appear as faux-solid as the industry he gets the bulk of his income from. His form of business is likely what caused the 2008 banking failure, and the game is being rigged the same damn way this go-'round as if nobody learned a single lesson. If mortgages go south again, or the market is affected negatively in ways unimaginable, what happens to the portion of Detroit controlled by this one impetuous man?

It is only due some really amazing big-bank bankruptcy give-aways that he has as many holdings as he does. Bought the One Woodward building for pennies on the dollar, and he's treating it as if it were a suit he bought on sale that he can bedazzle himself to impress his buddies at the next Vegas-Elvis convention.

I don't trust him one whit, and that is due a persistent gut feeling that I would be very happy to be wrong about. No matter what, he will make his mark on Detroit. And it will be memo'ed in Comic Sans font using the colors just beyond the extreme fringe of acceptable nearly-neutral business tones.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Gannon; March-23-13 at 09:17 PM.

I can respect that Gannon. I agree that supporting Kwame is pretty disgusting, although I don't remember that I trust you that it did. However, I am a huge fan of the actual positive gains that have happened in the buildings he has purchased. While his aesthetic choices are not my cup of tea, they are nothing that cannot be reversed. I can deal with gaudy colors seeing as thousands of square of feet empty office space are now full.

Shollin Guest

I love how it's the bank's fault when people didn't pay their mortgages. Always have to have someone to shift blame to.

I love how it's the bank's fault when people didn't pay their mortgages. Always have to have someone to shift blame to.
    I also love how it's the home buyer's fault when the bank gave them a mortgage they clearly didn't qualify for.

Shollin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    I also love how it's the home buyer's fault when the bank gave them a mortgage they clearly didn't qualify for.
    Yup, the mortgage company needs to be their financial adviser too.

Yup, the mortgage company needs to be their financial adviser too.
    Yup, the home buyer needs to be their regulators too.

Shollin Guest

Ah yes, the path that someone who takes out a loan isn't responsible because the bank gave it to me. Now someone needs to regulate the banks because I as a homebuyer I don't want any responsibility in determining whether I can afford a home or not.

I'm going to rack up 50k in credit card debt and whine and cry because the banks gave me the credit when I couldn't afford to pay it back.

Ah yes, the path that someone who takes out a loan isn't responsible because the bank gave it to me. Now someone needs to regulate the banks because I as a homebuyer I don't want any responsibility in determining whether I can afford a home or not.
    Ah yes, the path that someone who puts money in a bad investment isn't responsible because the home buyer accepted the loan. Now someone needs to bail me out because I as a banker am not capable of determing when I should and should not loan someone money.

Shollin Guest

Ah yes, the path that someone who puts money in a bad investment isn't responsible because the home buyer accepted the loan. Now someone needs to bail me out because I as a banker am not capable of determing when I should and should not loan someone money.
    Wait, so the person who purchased the bad investment has no responsibility and the bank should absorb 100% of the risk? Just an FYI, Fannie Mae, Freddy Mac, and Ginnie Mae [[FHA) determine the lending requirements.

Shollin Guest

And the bank isn't making an investment. They are loaning you money using the home as collateral.

Wait, so the person who purchased the bad investment has no responsibility and the bank should absorb 100% of the risk? Just an FYI, Fannie Mae, Freddy Mac, and Ginnie Mae [[FHA) determine the lending requirements.
    Wait, so the person who put the money in the investment has no responsibility and the home buyer should absorb 100% of the risk?

Just an FYI, no one forced Hells Fargo to award loans to people who didn't qualify for them.

Shollin Guest

Wait, so the person who put the money in the investment has no responsibility and the home buyer should absorb 100% of the risk?

Just an FYI, no one forced Hells Fargo to award loans to people who didn't qualify for them.
    It's not an investment. It's a loan. We should end car loans since that is a negative investment. Who are these people getting loans that didn't qualify? You throw it around like it is fact. Wells Fargo sells most of their loans to Fannie and Freddy and the rest are FHA and follow their guidelines.

And the bank isn't making an investment. They are loaning you money using the home as collateral.
    And the home buyer isn't purchasing an investment. They are buying a home to live in from a previous owner and the bank as a third party decided they want to intervene and make a profit off the sale.

It's not an investment. It's a loan. We should end car loans since that is a negative investment. Who are these people getting loans that didn't qualify? You throw it around like it is fact. Wells Fargo sells most of their loans to Fannie and Freddy and the rest are FHA and follow their guidelines.
    "What the heck!? since gubbmint's going to bail me out, why not invest this money into this ramshack in Detroit knowing darn well this schmuck can't afford it!!!"

Shollin Guest

And the home buyer isn't purchasing an investment. They are buying a home to live in from a previous owner and the bank as a third party decided they want to intervene and make a profit off the sale.

The home buyer is more than welcome to borrow 100 or 200k from a relative and pay it back over 30 years. Damn those banks who don't want to lend out free money.

Shollin Guest

"What the heck!? since gubbmint's going to bail me out, why not invest this money into this ramshack in Detroit knowing darn well this schmuck can't afford it!!!"
    I have no problem ending all lending in the city of Detroit. Here's the problem. That would be red lining and racism. There is a debt to income ratio set by Fannie and Freddy and FHA. They own the loans. Now you're just making hyperbole.

Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    I can respect that Gannon. I agree that supporting Kwame is pretty disgusting, although I don't remember that I trust you that it did. However, I am a huge fan of the actual positive gains that have happened in the buildings he has purchased. While his aesthetic choices are not my cup of tea, they are nothing that cannot be reversed. I can deal with gaudy colors seeing as thousands of square of feet empty office space are now full.
    I am also happy the buildings are in progressive hands actually using them. I am happy his employees choose to stay downtown after work, and many have decided to move here. I am pleased beyond measure, because my friends who work in various industries supported by them are flourishing. Sure, parking is tight and getting more expensive, and that forces rethinking and reshuffling on the part of some long-term downtown workers...but that is to be expected.

I've mentioned my girlfriend's parking situation possibly making us car-pool, in order to maintain some of the other portions of this lifestyle to which we've become accustomed! But that was not a complaint...just a description of reality.

My biggest concern about the guy is not yet a firm complaint. I only see evidences of short-sightedness which could possibly negatively affect the city in the long run. Thanks for the reminder that the design influences can be reversed, but I see 'em more as indicator of something amiss deeper in their collective corporate psyche, which has consistently been tied to the personality quirks of the ownership in my experience. Corporations always reveal the deepest idiosyncracies of the ownership, no matter what safeguards are put in place by even the most proactive of PR departments and firms.

I WANT to be on the fence still on the guy...I mentioned the Kwhyme thing, because that is when Dan Gilbert arrived on my radar. His odd response to that one NBA player who left his team might've happened around the same time. I get that 'impetuousness' from actions like that...some people who achieve great power through wealth acquisition learn to harness it. I don't know if he has yet learned the discipline of being wealthy responsibly yet.

But there is always hope...like I said, I will not mind being wrong about the guy. The trends have been inconsistent, but the negative symptoms have existed since back in high school, if you didn't miss those confirmations, so it is likely that personality oddity is one of the things he is supposed to master during this lifetime. I think we all have things to learn and grow through, I just hope the city can suffer Dan Gilbert's growing pains.

Cheers!

As for this Shollin-313WX ping-pong debate...it is nobody's fault totally, but it should NOT be dumped solely on the backs of the losing-their-American-Dream homeowners...most were solicited by unscrupulous mortgage originators. I know one of 'em from my high school days who worked at a firm on the first floor of one of those big buildings on Telegraph south of 12 Mile. Some of the guys in his office were plain-faced loan sharks, ready to loan cash to those unsuspecting home buyers hit with last-minute fees and being forced to buy a 'point or two' up front to reduce their payments or encourage some bank to accept the loan application. What I saw seemed unethical at the least, and patently illegal at worst. I did not witness enough to do anything but flee, though...but not before I was able to tell my ex-friend that if his industry was giving loans to those like me, they were in for a huge adjustment at some point. Likely before those five-year balloons came due...and the crash happened within two, and has kept on crashing despite all calls to the contrary. I find it sadly amusing that people are now reportedly having bid wars on properties again, meaning the real-estate industry has been successful at creating the illusion of a low-inventory marketplace again. And business returns, unfortunately, to what they think is normal.

UGH! So the potential to have the same rampant deflation of the marketplace happen, due some unforseen event which triggers the collapse, is back. The house of cards is merely being rebuilt, not re-engineered with better foundations. The end of this story is an inevitability, as far as I can see.

The blame is on the false sense of security from becoming a volunteer slave to land for fifteen to thirty years. The modern concept of land ownership is merely fractional slavery. Same with most jobs...the same old same old...only with the illusion of choice. Nearly everyone becomes slaves to the economic system at some level, whether through student loans, credit cards, or mortgages. They will sink their hooks into you at some point, and some think they are free until they feel that yank...that tug...when they learn their financial boundaries.

No cheers on this one...
    Last edited by Gannon; March-24-13 at 12:06 PM.

Yay, more jobs shuffling around and no new job creation.
    Spatial centralization of firms and corporations is better for the region. It doesn't make any practical sense to have them dispersed in office parks creating more strain on transportation infrastructure and services.

Shollin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    Spatial centralization of firms and corporations is better for the region. It doesn't make any practical sense to have them dispersed in office parks creating more strain on transportation infrastructure and services.
    The same canned response I hear from urban planners and their social engineering. as if the people working at this company are going to uproot their lives and move to Detroit. This only helps the city of Detroit. It doesn't help SouthField.

The same canned response I hear from urban planners and their social engineering. as if the people working at this company are going to uproot their lives and move to Detroit. This only helps the city of Detroit. It doesn't help SouthField.
    You would never hear that from me. LOL no aglomeration effects from moving pointy shoed architects around on the deck of our titanic.

Why would the employees move to Detroit? I mean, great if they do. How is working in Southfield any different than working downtown? It's still cross-metro commuting since I seriously doubt all their employees live in Southfield.

The continuing shift in businesses downtown validates the efforts to build a strong central core with good transit in the future.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast