Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Could this be the consequence of the miscalculations [[rather it was intentional or not)of Detroits homicide rates. In addition to other errors that we were not informed of while Barren was chief?

Until we know more details, we'll have to wait. But on the surface it appears Dave Bing is listening to the wrong people. That's nothing surprising when you consider his lack of experience in government.

The Detroit Free Press endosrsement of Evans for mayor in the primary and Bing's supposed appointment of him as Chief of the Detroit Police Department to be announced at 10:00 a.m. this mornng makes one wonder. This is especially true when during the mayoral campaign there were stories, never verified, that Evans was the silent partner in a company doing doing business with the County.

Let's hope this isn't the same old politics we've had for too long in Detroit.

Yes, give Bing and Evans a chance, but it seems the timing is a poor decision.

Bob Cosgrove

To lay the bad reporting numbers at Barren's feet seems a tad misplaced. He didin't become Chief until November of 2008 and I'd guess he had more important things to worry about.

One could place the blame for the mis-reporting of crime stats on Ella Bully-Cummings and her Deputy Chiefs. In fact, according to detroituncovered.com those two Deputy Chiefs, Godbee and Dunlap are coming back under Warren Evans.

I'd hate to jump on the "re-tread hater" bandwagon, but it ain't looking good. Bing has too many of the old criminals around.

Off the subject a bit, but I notice that all statements from the Mayor's office on this matter are being read by Karen Dumas. Is this not the same Karen Dumas that was one of Kilpatrick's leading talking heads? Isn't she somehow tied in with the Highland Park guy?

Did Chief Barren got fired because he failed to investigate and respond to the Bus Stop Shooting in Warrendale?

I know that everyone has concerns, and justifiably so, with Warren Evans becoming the new Chief of Police. I can understand that.

But, what's so impressive about Chief Barren? I know that he was only there for eight months. But, what did he accomplish?

From what I can tell, he provided and backed the same false numbers that Cummings did even though he knew better.

Default Bing Announces Warren Evans New Chief

Bing has no class at all. What kind of jerk would let a man like Chief James Barren go like this? The man was intelligent and well respected by the cops.
    He also announced that police department veteran, Ralph Godbee, who was an assistant chief until leaving the department after Chief Ella Bully-Cummings retired last year, would return as Evans’ assistant chief.” Godbee is the guy that organized the birthday party for thug Kwame! Bing does not know what he is doing and should be voted out of office this August! Detroiters STAND UP AND VOTE BING OUT.

So who is running against Bling? Only one I have heard about is retread Barrow. Any thoughts on who might make a decent mayor?

Quote Originally Posted by Homer View Post
    So who is running against Bling? Only one I have heard about is retread Barrow. Any thoughts on who might make a decent mayor?
    Bob Allman
    Tom Barrow
    Dartagnan Collier
    Duane Montogomery
    Jerroll Sanders

^^^That's the list. I wanted Cockrel to finish out the year but people said he was too spineless and incompetent.

Ken Cockreal was doing a great job as Mayor and should have been elected. He was a Detroiter and got rid of thug kk's people. It was people like talk show host, Mildred Gaddis and Freman Hendrix that blasted Ken Cockrel on a daily basis and wanted Bing in - that set up Freman Hendrix for a job with Bing. Bing should be voted out for lying to the people of Detroit! Don't trust this man, he is a puppet for kk's people.

Default I can tell you

Quote Originally Posted by kraig View Post
    I know that everyone has concerns, and justifiably so, with Warren Evans becoming the new Chief of Police. I can understand that.

But, what's so impressive about Chief Barren? I know that he was only there for eight months. But, what did he accomplish?

From what I can tell, he provided and backed the same false numbers that Cummings did even though he knew better.
    First an d foremost he gave the officers hope and raised their moral so they could do a better job. Secondly he started to move the sops into the neighborhoods. For the first time in years I have seen patrol cars riding in my neighborhood and cops walking around making their presence known. To me that is improvement enough. Thirdly he didn't have the police in the mayor's pocket All three of these I am sure will stop once warren steps his cragily ass in to office. Wow Bing nice way to play politics.

Default no i don't think so

Quote Originally Posted by exdetroiter View Post
    Could this be the consequence of the miscalculations [[rather it was intentional or not)of Detroits homicide rates. In addition to other errors that we were not informed of while Barren was chief?
    I don't think so, that incident happened a month ago and frankly if the insinuation of corruption or trying to fool the public is the reason behind the firing; then why on earth would he hire warren evans who was close to the kilpatrick admin and had policies that were questioned numerous times.

Default she's the same woman

Quote Originally Posted by carman View Post
    Off the subject a bit, but I notice that all statements from the Mayor's office on this matter are being read by Karen Dumas. Is this not the same Karen Dumas that was one of Kilpatrick's leading talking heads? Isn't she somehow tied in with the Highland Park guy?
    yep the same tired heffa. Bing is just gathering all of the trash from the 3 previous admins and putting them back in power.

What is behind this sudden change ?
    If Detroit has a decent, respectful Chief of Police, why make such a drastic change to Warren Evans ??
    Something just does not sit well with this...

MIRepublic Guest

I read the interview with Warren, and I must say that he's always be an excellent talker and slick and slick comes; a brilliant politician, to be sure, and one of the best bullshitters in all of Metro Detroit. The problem comes when he actually has to do something. I've never trusted him further than I could throw him, and to listen to Bing talk about doing the same thing and expecting different results was absolutely hilarious. Warren is probably among the most established and long-serving politicians and appointees in all of Metro Detroit. To try and spin Warren as a 'new face' was insulting to anyone with any kind of sensibilities.

But, knowing that a broken clock is right at least twice during the day, I just hope that Warren gets some of his more ambitious plans completed. And, if some of the rumors about a restructuring and merger are true, that would be great. I just have the feeling that if anything good comes of DPD because of this, it'll have been despite him not because of him.

Quote Originally Posted by MIRepublic View Post
    I read the interview with Warren, and I must say that he's always be an excellent talker and slick and slick comes; a brilliant politician, to be sure, and one of the best bullshitters in all of Metro Detroit. The problem comes when he actually has to do something. I've never trusted him further than I could throw him, and to listen to Bing talk about doing the same thing and expecting different results was absolutely hilarious. Warren is probably among the most established and long-serving politicians and appointees in all of Metro Detroit. To try and spin Warren as a 'new face' was insulting to anyone with any kind of sensibilities.

But, knowing that a broken clock is right at least twice during the day, I just hope that Warren gets some of his more ambitious plans completed. And, if some of the rumors about a restructuring and merger are true, that would be great. I just have the feeling that if anything good comes of DPD because of this, it'll have been despite him not because of him.
    I've was wondering what Evans brings to the job that Barren couldn't. I've come to the conclusion that Evans and Bing cut a deal whereas Evans would position himself for a run at the mayor's office after Bing does his one term by being police chief. Bing essentially has no credible opposition for the Nov election.

Otherwise, I don't see why someone would give up an elected position for an appointed one.

Mayor Bing fored Barren for several reasons.

1. lack of police presence and responses in some Detroit Ghettohoods.

2. Now easing the budget problems.

3. Not probing the investigation fo the Bus Stop Shooting on the corner of W. Warren Rd. and Southfield FWY. in Warrendale area.

Now Bing has appointed former Wayne County Sheriff Warren Evans by means of " Capture Theory." to the Detroit Police Department.

What raised my eyebrow was Bing claiming that he has been having discussions about policing with Evans for weeks, but he had no time to see his own police chief, Barren, who says he could never get in to see Bing.

Yes, its clear that Bing and Evans had this in the works for some time, probably cut the deal right after election.

I thought it was funny how Evans said his plan to cut crime was to take the shooters off the streets - but how do you know someone is a shooter until they shoot somebody?

This is also a setup to put Godbee next into the Chief of Police position, because wouldn't he move over once Evans advances to his next stop?

21. Default

Maybe this is why Barren got dismissed?
    Detroit police fail to meet terms of consent decree
    http://www.detnews.com/article/20090...363/1006/rss01

Evans is now Chief. We are saved!

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    I've was wondering what Evans brings to the job that Barren couldn't. I've come to the conclusion that Evans and Bing cut a deal whereas Evans would position himself for a run at the mayor's office after Bing does his one term by being police chief. Bing essentially has no credible opposition for the Nov election.

Otherwise, I don't see why someone would give up an elected position for an appointed one.
    It seems you could also ask why someone would give up an elected position for a "chance" at becoming mayor when he only garnered 10% of the vote in the primary.

He is 60 years old so it's not unreasonable for someone his age to start thinking about retirement over the next five years.

Quote Originally Posted by usa1 View Post
    Ken Cockreal was doing a great job as Mayor and should have been elected. He was a Detroiter and got rid of thug kk's people. It was people like talk show host, Mildred Gaddis and Freman Hendrix that blasted Ken Cockrel on a daily basis and wanted Bing in - that set up Freman Hendrix for a job with Bing. Bing should be voted out for lying to the people of Detroit! Don't trust this man, he is a puppet for kk's people.

Bottom line, Mildred and her crew had an agenda. I heard all the complaining about Cockreal; it even got to the point where they tried to use the misdeeds of his relatives as a talking point. I guess the saying "Be careful for what you wish" it a ture statement indeed.

Default Chief Barren

Mayor Dave Bing showed no class at all in the way he fired Chief Barren. The Chief was highly qualified for the job and very respected by the coppers, he did a great job in the short time he was on the job. Bing lied and he surrounded himself with all the thug kk's minions. Detroiter's might just as well have reelected Kwame Kilpatrick because his people are running things. Vote Dave Bing out of office for lying to the people and he does not know what he is doing!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast