Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Observations... The arm patches in the opening street scenes are of the 82nd Airborne Division. So those scenes would have been on the eastside where they were stationed. I tagged along with a friend to visit with his friend in the 82nd at their bivouac on a public school grounds.

The 82nd never crossed Woodward to the westside, to my knowledge, which was patrolled by the inept Michigan National Guard.

When the 82nd arrived on the eastside, the hostilities subsided soon after. This was attributed to the fact that about a 3rd of them were African-American, unlike the Michigan National Guard the was nearly all Euro-American. The westside hostilities continued for two more days.

Another thing you can see is that the airborne were very spit and polish, lean and trim, all business and totally disciplined. Many had served in Vietnam.

The Michigan NG's by contrast were often slovenly, many overweight, looking as if they had been dragged out of a bar at closing time and thrown into battle and generally scared s***less.
    My father was the Inspector in charge of the Eastside at night during the riots and was stationed with the 82nd. I've got a picture of him with the Commander from the 82nd with a cake for the Commander's birthday. I'll find it and scan it in later.

A lot of the scenes seem to be from the now desolate Chene area south of 94. It's crazy to see what we lost. From Mr. Roger's Neighborhood to American wasteland.

Quote Originally Posted by black gold man View Post
    wowwww...this one is IN-SANE...

Quote Originally Posted by Rochelle St. View Post
    What firemans funeral is being shown at the end of Black Gold Man's video?
    What cemetery?
    John Ashby. Died 8/4/67 of injuries sustained on 7/34/67 at 7am. Ashby a 26 year-old white male, served as a firefighter with the Detroit Fire Department, Engine 21. He was electrocuted by a high-tension wire that struck his helmet while fighting a fire at a supermarket at Lafayette and Canton on Detroit’s East Side. He died a few weeks later at Detroit General Hospital as a result of burns and infection.

I think he was buried in the Firefighters Section of Mt. Elliott Cemetery.

It was sad watching that video, so much was lost .
    Sad that nearly 45 years later nothing that was burned down along the main streets[[grand river, Gratiot, chene, ect) was never rebuilt.
    I was 2 at the time and have no memory of it , but was around a lot for the downfall of a once great city .
    So what we have now and what an entire generation of Detroiters had known is what we see now? how sad to leave that city to a generation.
    what did we expect would happen everyone who could leave,left , once the malls were built people couldn't leave for Warren, Troy, Livonia , Madison Heights, ect fast enough
    is there a wonder most young talented people and families left ?
    Last edited by Detroitdave; March-21-13 at 02:20 PM.

I remember it like it was yesterday. What gets me in the first clip, is the burned out mayhem you see for the first time on 12th street, has now turned into a daily scenario in Detroit. Burned homes and buildings, peoples belongings dumped in fields, left to blow around in the wind.

Quote Originally Posted by illwill View Post
    I saw Honest Johns in the video!
    I thought that too but it didnt seem right, I backed it up and it was a place called Honest Joes.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    This video seems to have been film of the eastside, but wasn't there more action/destruction on the westside?
    Don't know too much about the east side, but Grand River got hit hard. There were incidents out as far as Greenfield, but the worst was probably from Wyoming in towards town.

Great footage BlackMan.

What's incredible to me are the business districts full of mom and pop type store that existed back then. There's almost nothing like that left in the city - they were all destroyed in the decades after the riot.

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    I thought that too but it didnt seem right, I backed it up and it was a place called Honest Joes.
    Ahh...ok.

Thanks Django!

I haven't watched the video and probably won't. As a white, suburban kid at the time, I was involved [[after a fashion) in the riots in two ways, and frankly, it still hurts me 36 years later to review it.

I'll grant you it's a part of Detroit....and southeastern Michigan....history, and people should know about it and try to understand the why and the consequences. It's just that as a 19 year old at the time, it had a terrific impact on me that has shaped my thought process to this day.

I'm not putting this very well, but I hope you can understand where I'm coming from.

@ 3:43 in Blacks last video above^ I see 4731 on the side of a building. Can anyone confirm that that could be 4731 0n Grand River which is now a gallery/studio space. A friend owned it and sold it to another friend. Its about the same size building that Im thinking of.
    Anyone, anyone?

Attachment 18668
    The roof lines have similarities.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    What's incredible to me are the business districts full of mom and pop type store that existed back then. There's almost nothing like that left in the city - they were all destroyed in the decades after the riot.
    That's not really exclusive to Detroit. I'd say that's more due to economics, lawyers, big business [[like Walmart), government over-regulation, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by douglasm View Post
    As a white, suburban kid at the time, I was involved [[after a fashion) in the riots in two ways,

I'm not putting this very well, but I hope you can understand where I'm coming from.
    No, not really ..... sort of confused.

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    Well, there's the window in place of the 7 and the one on top is four story, where the other looks to be two story.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Well, there's the window in place of the 7 and the one on top is four story, where the other looks to be two story.

The older pic was taken from a greater distance and slightly different angle. The roofs parapit is almost identicle. I cant imagine there are two 4731 buildings in Detroit with that much in common.

Thanks for the pics Old Guy, that made my day. Im pretty sure they are the same buildings.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    ...by the corporatization of the retail marketplace, NOT the riots.

Doesn't mean some didn't leave because of the unrest, but this happened throughout the nation at the same time due a much bigger cause.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Nice picture of a nice moment [[in a not-so-nice time)

The building in question is the same size in both pictures, it is the building next door that is one-floor instead of two.

I'd say due the roofline and remains of the printed advertisement and what is left of that unique triple-window 1st floor facade [[very Masonic)...there is no question that those pictures are of the same building.

This brings back so many memories. I was nine years old visiting my relatives in a remote northern Italian village with ONE TV station. Every day, the riots were featured prominently, with my relatives wondering if our house was going to be destroyed. Imagine my embarrassment as a nine-year-old trying to explain the causes behind such behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by douglasm View Post
    I haven't watched the video and probably won't. As a white, suburban kid at the time, I was involved [[after a fashion) in the riots in two ways, and frankly, it still hurts me 36 years later to review it.

I'll grant you it's a part of Detroit....and southeastern Michigan....history, and people should know about it and try to understand the why and the consequences. It's just that as a 19 year old at the time, it had a terrific impact on me that has shaped my thought process to this day.

Fact that you were 15 when JFK was popped must've made a dent in your psyche, too, as well as all the other public murders authorized by those in DC throughout the decade. Hell, I was only four when the city burst into flames, and all the turmoil proved to me that those in power must be diligently watched...because they things they do have cascading effects on the populace.

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    Attachment 18668
    I think it is this building which is on Woodward in or near Highland Park. It looks like the small building on the near side was torn down, another floor added and the windows bricked up. The sign is a bit ironic IMO.

Name:  had_enough_0477.jpg
Views: 598
Size:  28.0 KB

Excellent film. It really is like something you wish to wake up from and realize it was only a nightmare. Very sad for generations of detroiters.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast