Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Threaded View

Default The Detroit Startup Scene, and why I'm saying farewell to the Motor City [[for now)

Note: this is a bit long-winded, and somewhat stream-of-consciousness, but I hope it provides some space for dialogue. It's not meant as an all-out assault on Detroit, rather a reflective piece from someone that came to Detroit with the purpose of making a difference - and is now leaving.

---------

I've been spending a good 8-10 months attempting to transition from a Detroit-based consulting role to working with a technology startup - after all, guys like Josh Linkner and Dan Gilbert are promoting this "Detroit 2.0" pitch like this is going to be the next place to launch a startup.

And from the outside, it makes a lot of sense: low cost of living, fairly abundant technology talent, resilience, and focus -- these are all core aspects of a living, breathing ecosystem like Silicon Valley.

...but after months and months of trying, I can no longer ignore the dozens of weekly emails I'm getting from startups in New York, Chicago, and Boulder, all offering different options to get me embedded into the entrepreneurial community in those cities. I tried to temper the flow, really: I wanted my idealism and gung-ho Detroit cheerleading to win out at the end of the day, because I moved to Detroit to apply my skills in a tangible and effective way.

But I'm getting the cold shoulder, and it's certainly not due to a lack of effort: I just don't know if Detroit has a damn clue what to do with people like me.

I've discovered that it takes one of several core attributes in order to justify a long-term presence in Detroit: deep connections within the primary industries; family connections; an unbridled attachment or loyalty to your neighborhood; steady and gainful employment. I came in from out of state to attend school, stuck around while all my classmates departed, and made the city my own by participating in numerous non-profits, serving on boards of schools and charities, etc. So, from the start, the deck was somewhat stacked against me. I've spent a good three years cutting through, making connections, and carving a trail that provided multiple opportunities to contribute some degree of effort to making the city more livable.

But throughout it all, while building rapport, I've found the controllers of financial and political resources to be extremely insular: even if you have the skills to contribute, the road to gain access to the resources that empower your contribution is bumpy and tumultuous. And Detroit, simply put, doesn't have the margins to absorb such selfishness. It cannot continue to let good talent slip through the cracks, and my story isn't uncommon: most of my consulting colleagues that have left the firm have departed for other cities. The ones that have stayed have either deep roots or families that would be better off served by staying put. Granted, all of them are in the suburbs.

So, I'm slipping through. "Running away" from Detroit doesn't seem to sum up my decision -- I'm running toward a technology community that welcomes my talent and desire to create a livable city, with the degree of stability and authenticity that brings comfort.

I realize that many people will view my decision as "giving up" on Detroit. My only response is that I'm leaving the equivalent of a broken relationship, one in which I've poured an incredible amount of time, energy, and affection to receive very little in return - at least, not enough to justify staying attached to it.

I will, however, be taking with me several friendships that will last for many years to come, and I do have the city to thank for that. The strain of distance may cause tension, and that will need to be kept in focus.

From a distance, I'll be rooting for Detroit, hoping that it will eventually find a way to draw in people because of its heaving lungs, and not reactively spit it back out. When it can keep its food down, letting the deep roots of talent seep through its bloodstream, then perhaps I'll return.
    Last edited by michimoby; March-20-13 at 06:42 PM.