Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    ^^ When Orr's name and bio were leaked, I was quite impressed with his pedigree. So, for me at least, this isn't about loving the council or grinding up Orr. It is, however, all about him and the governor passing this off as an oversight, when it appears to be more than that. If he said it was "just business" as you call it, I would have appreciated his honesty and candor, but I still would have misgivings about his role as EFM. Consider this. There are people in Detroit that do the same thing with their property taxes. What kind of an example is he to these people to start paying taxes on time?
    No they don't. The key difference Orr paid his when the lien was brought to his attention.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    No they don't. The key difference Orr paid his when the lien was brought to his attention.
    Skew it how you want, Bailey. But I think he paid his when the media revealed it and "embarrassed" him. Nothing I have read convinces me that this was an oversight. It has been going on since 2008. And, there are plenty of people in Detroit that don't pay their property taxes until they are faced with a tax foreclosure.

I wasn't aware that the EMF's job was to "collect taxes", because I'm pretty freaking sure it is NOT. Nor does the EMF have the power to raise taxes without voter approval.

Thread premise fail.

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    Skew it how you want, Bailey. But I think he paid his when the media revealed it and "embarrassed" him. Nothing I have read convinces me that this was an oversight. It has been going on since 2008. And, there are plenty of people in Detroit that don't pay their property taxes until they are faced with a tax foreclosure.
    I'm not the one "skewing" anything. you are.

A) this wasn't his property tax bill which on his "million dollar" house... is likely multiple times this amount every year. Is there even one "million dollar" residential property in Detroit?

b) he is a partner at one the country's largest law firms. He billed over one million dollars during the Chrysler bailout and billed out at 750 an hour. I don't think they've revealed his salary at JD, but 7 figures would not be suprising. I will take 100,000 Kevyn Orrs being a little late paying some unemployment taxes [[before foreclosure) than those you are comparing him too.

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post
    I wasn't aware that the EMF's job was to "collect taxes", because I'm pretty freaking sure it is NOT. Nor does the EMF have the power to raise taxes without voter approval.

Thread premise fail.
    You're obviously not familiar with how the EM law is set up in Michigan.

This is all noise. And there will continue to be noise for the duration of his stay here regardless of his level of performance. So I think I'm just going to ignore the noise and wait for decisions and results and evaluate him based on that.
    Last edited by Det_ard; March-19-13 at 08:14 PM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5