I am an Amtrak conductor and run between WAS & NYP daily. My first introduction to big city railroading began when I stepped off New York Central's overnight train from Cincinnati in 1954. I was 9 years old and traveling from Florida to meet my father for the first time and was immediately knocked off my feet by the magnificent Michigan Central Station, Detroit's grand cathedral of commerce.

Detroit was the industrial capital of the world so it saddens me to tears to see Michigan Central abandoned and deteriorated like so much of Motown. The once dynamic Motor City - and home of The Supremes - looks like a urban ghost town.

I will be visiting Detroit next month to celebrate my favorite uncle's 90th birthday. Uncle Bob and the Jennings family were part of the Great Black Migration who migrated north many years ago looking for jobs, equal opportunity and R-E-S-P-E-C-T in the "Promised Land".

I seem to recall horse drawn milk wagons in Detroit during the 50's but I am not sure. Does anyone know for sure? Thanks for your feedback!