Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by detroitsgwenivere View Post
    Really? I didn't read anything quoted from the guy sating that he planned to lead some armed rebellion or burn the city down. All I heard was him make some ponderous juxtaposition regarding gang politics and canned foods. Noting the controversial nature of the EFM, and the old school civil rights culture that these older cats come from, how is anyone surprised at the language that is being thrown around?
    Well, I am surprised. I don't appreciate it. The nature of an EFM might be controversial, but to call for people to stock up on canned goods and warning people of an impending revolt? Just what the hell does he think an EFM is going to do? Comparing the residents of Detroit to a street gang fighting for their turf? That IS incendiary, riot provoking language. Sugar coating what he said and did doesn't help. He's a jackass.

Whipping up emotions on such a charged issue is really dumb. How much encouragement would some street hoods need to really start something violent. And if we learned anything from 1967, things can spiral out of control in a heartbeat. Then what do you say ? Oh, I really didn't mean it that way?

“You are going to have to drag me out of here for me to leave."

I don't think the city council needs to be physically evicted from city hall to be ignored by the EFM.

I don't think I'm sugar coating his words, I'm just defending the man's character. He's not a bad man, or a useless man, he's a good man. He walks the walk, and doesn't just pander, and I respect that about him. The guy's not perfect, he occasionally says things to the press that aren't going to help the situation. I agree. But I think it's unfair to judge Mr. Kenyatta based some dumb emotional thing he said under duress, over the useful constituent services the man has provided during his time in office. Unlike some people that got elected because they had name recognition and haven't done shit since they got there BUT run their mouth. That's all I'm sayin.

GUSHI Guest

The difference between 67 and now a lot less people, a lot less stores to burn and a lot less whites, so if a riot starts please start by burning down empty damaged homes, Thankyou , a lot of homes on the Eastside,

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    “You are going to have to drag me out of here for me to leave."

I don't think the city council needs to be physically evicted from city hall to be ignored by the EFM.

Let them sit in City hall all they want. It is just that their staffs will lose their pay, their city cars will be taken away, and their grubby hands won't get anywhere near the city check book.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Let them sit in City hall all they want. It is just that their staffs will lose their pay, their city cars will be taken away, and their grubby hands won't get anywhere near the city check book.
    Gee, I don't see why anybody would impute any racial basis to all this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4v_yRFf4-Y

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    I just don't understand how people, even the most naive, can continue to refute the facts and believe what Kwame and Watson are spewing as facts. Where do these people come from? It's like this is the twilight zone.
    They keep getting reelected don't they? To me, it's more like where do the people that keep voting for them come from?

Stocking up on canned goods and supplies? What exactly does he think is going to happen? Some sort of Mad Max-style post-apocalyptic dystopian Detroit?

This is no better than the Glenn Beck "stock up on guns and gold for the upcoming Obama-pocalypse" fear mongering.

The danger here is that, just like with Glenn Beck inspiring the Oakland freeway shooter, these words have the ability to incite mentally-unbalanced or extremist individuals to commit violence. Even if Kenyatta isn't directly advocating violence, his words are close enough and it can be reasonably implied from his words.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    It is legal to say, "We should burn down City Hall."

It is illegal to say, "We should burn down City Hall at 2 p.m. tomorrow."

Furthermore, to say that the man should be hauled away in chains for speaking his mind strikes me as a bit of crypto-racism. If Ted Nugent can stand in front of a crowd that's toting rifles and shout, "We need to ride onto that battlefield and chop their heads off in November," then I think it's fair to way white people are afforded the same rights as Mr. Kenyatta.

Oh, and don't say I played the race card. YOU played the race card. [[See above.)
    Actually according to mich law 752.542 it is illegal to say either.

It is unlawful and constitutes incitement to riot for a person or persons, intending to cause or to aid or abet the institution or maintenance of a riot, to do an act or engage in conduct that urges other persons to commit acts of unlawful force or violence, or the unlawful burning or destroying of property, or the unlawful interference with a police officer, peace officer, fireman or a member of the Michigan national guard or any unit of the armed services officially assigned to riot duty in the lawful performance of his duty.

I agree. But I think it's unfair to judge Mr. Kenyatta based some dumb emotional thing he said under duress, over the useful constituent services the man has provided during his time in office. Unlike some people that got elected because they had name recognition and haven't done shit since they got there BUT run their mouth. That's all I'm sayin.
    There have been times that he sounded like the voice of reason on the council, but that's not saying much. I can't think, offhand, of anything he did that was particularly helpful for the city. He was damn obstructionist when it came to the consent agreement [[remember the "pulling your pants down without Vaseline" comment?) but I don't recall him offering any viable alternative - or any alternative at all. This just fits that paradigm, only even more destructively.

Quote Originally Posted by rondinjp View Post
    Actually according to mich law 752.542 it is illegal to say either.

It is unlawful and constitutes incitement to riot for a person or persons, intending to cause or to aid or abet the institution or maintenance of a riot, to do an act or engage in conduct that urges other persons to commit acts of unlawful force or violence, or the unlawful burning or destroying of property, or the unlawful interference with a police officer, peace officer, fireman or a member of the Michigan national guard or any unit of the armed services officially assigned to riot duty in the lawful performance of his duty.
    OK, then. I'll change the joke for the benefit of you and of Michigan jurisprudence.

It is legal to say City Hall should be burned down.

It is illegal to say City Hall should be burned down at 2 p.m. tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    There have been times that he sounded like the voice of reason on the council, but that's not saying much. I can't think, offhand, of anything he did that was particularly helpful for the city. He was damn obstructionist when it came to the consent agreement [[remember the "pulling your pants down without Vaseline" comment?) but I don't recall him offering any viable alternative - or any alternative at all. This just fits that paradigm, only even more destructively.
    I have to agree... he has been the voice of reason at times... he was one of the first to call for Kilpatrick to step down... but unfortunately he also was an obstructionist that stopped the Belle Isle transfer to the state dead in its' tracks... even after 8 months of discussions... so he's had a checkered history...

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    I have to agree... he has been the voice of reason at times... he was one of the first to call for Kilpatrick to step down... but unfortunately he also was an obstructionist that stopped the Belle Isle transfer to the state dead in its' tracks... even after 8 months of discussions... so he's had a checkered history...
    Instead of voting to let Belle Isle be run by the DNR, a $6 mil a year savings for the COD, he instead offered a "waterpark" proposal by the former Bob-Lo owners, that would create "thousands of jobs", and give the COD $1 mil a year. A loss of $5 mil yearly. As he put it, [[out of context), $6 mil a year isn't going to make or break the City Budget. Shrewd businessman that one is. The good part is he only lost one home, and not two like the Council President.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    They could make a Detroit version of Les Mis and call it Mo' Miserables...
    Do you hear the people rap?
    Rapping the words of angry men
    They are the poetry of a people
    Who don't want an EFM

Tony Award winning cast, starring

Samuel L Jackson as Javert
    Denzel Washington as Jean Valjean
    Omarion as Marius
    Young Jeezy as Enjolras
    Beyonce as Fantine
    Last edited by corktownyuppie; March-13-13 at 09:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    OK, then. I'll change the joke for the benefit of you and of Michigan jurisprudence.

It is legal to say City Hall should be burned down.

It is illegal to say City Hall should be burned down at 2 p.m. tomorrow.

i like. Thanks!

“I won’t give up my right to vote. We are going to shut down freeways and we are going to disrupt the economic system.”
    How does ruining Detroit's economy punish anyone in Lansing?

What a great idea. Destroy what little economic activity remains. Punish people who are trying to go to work IN Detroit. Make life harder for the people who live IN the city. That'll show those fat cats in Lansing!

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post
    How does ruining Detroit's economy punish anyone in Lansing?

What a great idea. Destroy what little economic activity remains. Punish people who are trying to go to work IN Detroit. Make life harder for the people who live IN the city. That'll show those fat cats in Lansing!
    To be fair, I'm sure majority of the folks commuting that morning on I-94 were from MAcomb County and Grosse Pointe and really can't control the fact that their job is in Detroit.

I don't think I'm sugar coating his words, I'm just defending the man's character. He's not a bad man, or a useless man, he's a good man. He walks the walk, and doesn't just pander, and I respect that about him. The guy's not perfect, he occasionally says things to the press that aren't going to help the situation. I agree. But I think it's unfair to judge Mr. Kenyatta based some dumb emotional thing he said under duress, over the useful constituent services the man has provided during his time in office. Unlike some people that got elected because they had name recognition and haven't done shit since they got there BUT run their mouth. That's all I'm sayin.
    While I agree that he's not among the worst on council, and that he has on occasion made sense, that merely makes him among the taller midgets in council chambers.

The phrase "the soft bigotry of low expectations" comes to mind, and its possible for blacks to possess those low expectations of other blacks just as it is for whites to expect less of blacks than of whites.

It isn't too much to ask for a councilperson to be both constituent-oriented and circumspect in their utterances. Detroiters can hope for excellence, not just settle for mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by Det_ard View Post

It isn't too much to ask for a councilperson to be both constituent-oriented and circumspect in their utterances. Detroiters can hope for excellence, not just settle for mediocrity.
    And that is the bottom line right there.

Default More from Kwame

Well, his words , did enough to stir up emotions on this blog,, So, imagine what it will do to the stooges ,, or his own choir .
    Its just all so defeating,, they never, ever , get the fact that this city is in deep , deep do do...and they are way over their heads in it..Most places welcome help,, in this city they would rather burn whats left.. I am absolutely stunned the corporate segment has not been more verbal, They have been investing millions and millions in the downtown and new center area in the last couple of years to turn this place around and have a lot to loose if these idiots are allowed to take the city down even further. I dont know why he is even stating they will have to drag him out,, If an EFM comes in, they will probably have no power anyway,, so quite frankly who cares if he sits in his office and rants.

Maybe its time for Mr. Kenyatta to prove me either right or wrong. I've always maintained that it was a vocal minority that played the race card, was obstructionist that always didn't want change to happen but had no better ideas. Maybe I'm wrong maybe its not a vocal minority but a vocal majority. Anyway its put up or shut up time for Kwame.

So on WDET he backed away from his original tone, however, it was reported and has spread via social media. Remember, several weeks ago at the end of winter blast a "flash mob" ran thru downtown trashing restaurants, cars, and causing general mayhem with cops in hot pursuit from Wshington Blvd to Campus Martius/Monroe St. etc. Wouldn't be a bit surprised if incidents like that night happen again.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    To be fair, I'm sure majority of the folks commuting that morning on I-94 were from MAcomb County and Grosse Pointe and really can't control the fact that their job is in Detroit.
    They do have some control. Think of all of the bleating that goes on in here about people wanting to work in a "vibrant downtown" so that employers are "forced" to move into the inner city from the suburbs so that they can get and keep employees. If the downtown [[AND the commute) are not considered secure, the employees will through both positive and negative pressure force the company to relocate away from a "undesirable downtown".

While the employer may be in love with his skyscraper in the city, he may be force to relocate to a suburban office campus to get and keep the kind of employees he needs.

I would imagine Bing may support this initiative....think about it if Master of destruction Kenyatta can whoop up a good old fashion riot ala '67 style, maybe it will help chip away at a few more abandoned homes and pave the way for more greenspace to grow some organic foods on some contaminated soil. This whole civil insurrection gig could have a real silver lining for the D.

Scuse me while I remove my tongue from mys cheek

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast