Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    m b v Guest

I said criminals and loiterers. Not sure where you all got the idea I was only talking about African Americans. Maybe you all should examine your motives. To be clear, most of the arrests in Somerset incidents are Detroit, Southfield and Pontiac residents. They destroy the malls in their nabes and then move onto the next to do more of the same.

So, MBV, where do YOU shop that is so free from criminals and loiterers?

I hope you mother and her friends don't grocery shop at the Kroger in Birmingham at Maple & Woodward. There are routinely issues with shoplifting in that store too.

Quote Originally Posted by DTWflyer View Post
    I hope you mother and her friends don't grocery shop at the Kroger in Birmingham at Maple & Woodward. There are routinely issues with shoplifting in that store too.
    damn -- did you see me?

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown Lady View Post
    Here's a newsflash for you: There are many black people that live in cities other than Detroit and Pontiac and [[gasp!) many are even gainfully-employed and not criminals.
    I think mbv would be shocked to learn that some of the public schools in Birmimgham, Bloomfield and West Bloomfield districts are 30%- 40% African American, and that a number of the public schools in Novi and Troy are already majority-minority.

Those black customers you see in Somerset are probably as likely to be from the Bloomfields as from some "bad" area. I thought the old "rich people are all WASPs" stereotype died decades ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    I think mbv would be shocked to learn that some of the public schools in Birmimgham, Bloomfield and West Bloomfield districts are 30%- 40% African American, and that a number of the public schools in Novi and Troy are already majority-minority.

Those black customers you see in Somerset are probably as likely to be from the Bloomfields as from some "bad" area. I thought the old "rich people are all WASPs" stereotype died decades ago.
    Its mathematically impossible to have 40% black students when you are talking about 2-3% of the total city is black. Black students are coming from Southfield, Lathrup Village, and Pontiac. Most of the ones that actually have an address in these cities live in apartments. For example, the apartments at 15 mile and Coolidge are pretty cheap rent wise and you can claim you live in Birmingham.
    Last edited by Cliffy; March-14-13 at 06:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
    Its mathematically impossible to have 40% black
    students when you are talking about 2-3% of the total city is black.
    No, it isn't impossible, because public school districts aren't coterminus with city boundaries. Bloomfield Hills is a tiny proportion of Bloomfield Hills schools. Birmingham is maybe 30% of Birmingham schools.

And I doubt the % is that low in 2013. In Bloomfield Township, no way.
    Black students are coming from Southfield, Lathrup Village, and Pontiac. Most of the ones that actually have an address in these cities live in apartments.
    I doubt that's a major factor. Neither district allows schools of choice students [[nonresidents), and while some families fake their way in, you really think that explains half of a school population?

What I do know is this, black people go out to Somerset on daily basis to steal one way or another, some are more brazen then others, some are more tactful when they go out there to commit crime. There was a time when blacks wouldn't dare think of committing crimes out that way, now they don't care and I can understand people being leary.

This thread is hilarious. Look how many posts its got in 24 hours. Everyone knows somerset is a safe place to shop. The most dangerous thing about the mall is someone running a red light outside and hitting you.

I went to Somerset once and saw this black guy... maybe it was a mexican, or arab; possibly an indian. I got scared and peed my pants.

This is about one of the most absurd threads I have ever seen. Just goes to prove racism and elitism is live and well in Metro Detroit.

I am sure the white thieves make out knowing that some of you give them a free pass simply due to skin color. White people commit a lot more crime in the metro than blacks do. There are simply a lot more of them.

Give me a break, this is the most preposterous claim I have seen on here [[except the comments about Jewish people not being accepting of others from several months ago).

No, it isn't impossible, because public school districts aren't coterminus with city boundaries. Bloomfield Hills is a tiny proportion of Bloomfield Hills schools. Birmingham is maybe 30% of Birmingham schools.

And I doubt the % is that low in 2013. In Bloomfield Township, no way.

I doubt that's a major factor. Neither district allows schools of choice students [[nonresidents), and while some families fake their way in, you really think that explains half of a school population?
    So where do all the black people live in Birmingham, Bloomfield, etc... The black students are coming from somewhere and not from Birmingham or Bloomfield Twp. The population of black people is very low in those areas. I'm not understanding your argument that we have a boom in black people in Birmingham. That is certainly not true.
    Last edited by Cliffy; March-14-13 at 09:07 PM.

I'm not understanding your argument that we have a boom in black people in Birmingham. That is certainly not true.
    There's definitely a boom in black enrollment in Birmingham and Bloomfield schools.

Probably relatively few live in the city of Birmingham itself, but they do live in Bloomfield Township, Beverly Hills, Franklin, West Bloomfield and other communities.

ccal and m v b, how old are you two? I was hoping that the next generation would have left the racial stereotyping behind but it sounds like a couple of young, spoiled bedwetters have picked up the bad attitudes of their elders.

There's definitely a boom in black enrollment in Birmingham and Bloomfield schools.

Probably relatively few live in the city of Birmingham itself, but they do live in Bloomfield Township, Beverly Hills, Franklin, West Bloomfield and other communities.
    and a chunk of Southfield, too. A friend of mine at Groves lived right on the dividing line, which was about a half mile south of 13 mile

Quote Originally Posted by Novine View Post
    ccal and m v b, how old are you two? I was hoping that the next generation would have left the racial stereotyping behind but it sounds like a couple of young, spoiled bedwetters have picked up the bad attitudes of their elders.
    What does my age have to do with anything, show me where I have said something that wasn't true. Racial stereotyping? What the hell are you talking about, I'm black, born and raised in Detroit. Nothing I have said is wrong or not true. Black people go out to Somerset on a daily basis to steal because thats where the best stuff is now and easy victims who aren't on guard, that's a fact, you may not like it but that still doesn't change that fact. Somerset is what a criminal might consider a soft target, unlike Northland or Eastland.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    first off, I do believe that runnerXT was being sarcastic. Second, the people I know from Chicago who shop at somerset aren't from here at all -- they were born and raised in Chicago & NW Indiana. They come here because a) the prices in the Somerset stores are often lower than those in Chicago and b) to avoid the huge sales tax
    I wasn't being sarcastic. i wondered downtown Chicago today. It's dead and depressing. They do have a nice 5 blocks but outside that its worse than anything Detroit offers.

The stores in Chicago are chains only. Any mall has that. Would you rather walk in warm safe Somerset or cold dreary dangerous downtown Chicago?

I also think there are many shoppers from Chicago come here because not only are the taxes and prices lower but Somerset offers better safety, selection, and vibe.

Quote Originally Posted by m b v View Post
    I said criminals and loiterers. Not sure where you all got the idea I was only talking about African Americans. Maybe you all should examine your motives. To be clear, most of the arrests in Somerset incidents are Detroit, Southfield and Pontiac residents. They destroy the malls in their nabes and then move onto the next to do more of the same.

So you aren't talking about African Americans...but instead talking about the clientele from Detroit, Southfield, and Pontiac?

Unless I completely misunderstood that post, how can you blame others for thinking you were referring to Black people?

I do wonder, where are the "nice" places to shop if Somerset is scary?

Quote Originally Posted by ccal View Post
    Why should your observation be taken over his? Clearly he knows people who think otherwise and you know others who do not, isnt it possible th a t you all know two different groups of people?
    Stick to something you have a clue about! My sister was just there working at the mall and dealt with plenty of B'ham and Bloomfield Hills residents. Like I said he doesn't like the place and so all the his "people" are supposed to be just like him. NOT!!

Quote Originally Posted by runnerXT View Post
    I wasn't being sarcastic. i wondered downtown Chicago today. It's dead and depressing. They do have a nice 5 blocks but outside that its worse than anything Detroit offers.

The stores in Chicago are chains only. Any mall has that. Would you rather walk in warm safe Somerset or cold dreary dangerous downtown Chicago?

I also think there are many shoppers from Chicago come here because not only are the taxes and prices lower but Somerset offers better safety, selection, and vibe.
    I know people from downtown Chicago and they make all their major purchases in the suburbs because of the sales tax in the city. You have to do a lot of walking and riding buses to match the quality of somerset in one location.

Ha, go shopping at Fairlane Mall around 12pm on any workday.

There is barely a sole in any store at that time.
    About the only place that is busy is the Food Court and that is mostly Ford employees or those that work in the office buildings that surround the mall.

Its safe because there is no one there!

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    Stick to something you have a clue about! My sister was just there working at the mall and dealt with plenty of B'ham and Bloomfield Hills residents. Like I said he doesn't like the place and so all the his "people" are suppsed to be just like him. NOT!!
    How ironic, you say I don't have a clue, yet you're making a generalization about someone whom you don't know on the internet about people that he knows and you don't, how?

Quote Originally Posted by ccal View Post
    How ironic, you say I don't have a clue, yet you're making a generalization about someone whom you don't know on the internet about people that he knows and you don't, how?
    So a person who actually was selling goods to the residents we are chatting about does not count? Get a life as you really have no clue!

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    So a person who actually was selling goods to the residents we are chatting about does not count? Get a life as you really have no clue!
    So.....your sister is real and the people he knows aren't?

Yes she is but they are only in his mind! As you can see he has not responded only you why is that?

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast