Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    To me, it was the complete lack of urgency that made it clear he wasn't the right guy. When you say you are going to be a one-term mayor, you are implying you are going to get moving on whatever it is you are trying to to immediately, and keep pushing on it until you get done what you can get done. I don't blame him for an obstructive city council, or for the underlying problems of the city, but I do blame him for not really attacking any of those problems.
    If it was just a matter of maintaining status quo or providing some incremental change like it is in most cities then Bing would have been the right man for the job. However Detroit requires some fundamental changes in how it conducts its business. That requires a person that is visionary, tough and can think outside the box. Bing in my opinion gives us the toughness and that's about it. Duggan, I think may have those qualities, I need to hear more from him.

It's almost sad reading Bings reflections on his administration.

And from the comments it seems has sadsack routine has effectively turned everyone but him into the villains.

Am I really the only ones remembering the budget fights being about council wanting more cuts than the mayor submitted?

While we're on the subject of impotent leadership. I'd like to state I really can't wait until the papers in this town get a financial/ownership shakeup and dogshit peddlers like Nolan Finley and Drew Sharp get the fucking boot.

Quote Originally Posted by brizee View Post
    It's almost sad reading Bings reflections on his administration.

And from the comments it seems has sadsack routine has effectively turned everyone but him into the villains.

Am I really the only ones remembering the budget fights being about council wanting more cuts than the mayor submitted?

While we're on the subject of impotent leadership. I'd like to state I really can't wait until the papers in this town get a financial/ownership shakeup and dogshit peddlers like Nolan Finley and Drew Sharp get the fucking boot.
    You are right, council did propose budget cuts deeper than the mayor's. It's amazing how the papers try to heap all the blame on city council while ignoring Bing's breathtaking incompetence.

This is still a strong mayor system of governance. When the hub is missing from the wheel, the wheel collapses. We have a crisis in this city and a vacancy at the helm. The instability of his staff and his utter inability to frame a coherent response to the city's problems were fatal to any possibility of the city forging a way out of this thicket.

He should have had the decency to resign the last week when he effectively abdicated all responsibility for the city's future. I hope the em immediately eliminates his pay.

More truth comes out in the lawsuit over the whole EM/bankruptcy process.

Interesting.

Both Snyder and Bing have it in their heads that they'll be falling up from all of this.

Also phrases like transparency, open meetings and good faith mean NOTHING to anyone in this state.

On the other hand, I'm excited to see some real bi-partisanship in Michigan.

In other news...... Virg Bernero finally came out in support of the bankruptcy filing.

Resignation, at this point, would be pointless.

However he deserves hardy condemnation. President Ford didn't ask for the mess he inherited. Bing campaigned vigorously to obtain it, and then proceeded to make matters worse.

I also don't like this image of him as a kindly old man. HR disasters don't result from nowhere, and his came from both the company and the city he failed to run. His father didn't die to make him king. He asked for it.

The truly sad part is that hundreds of thousands of people have had their lives made worse because of his manifest incompetence. He had a duty to the public that he shirked.

I never voted for him. Always for the other guy. Still, no one was expecting miracles, but there could not have been a greater lack of leadership.

There is virtually no one I can say that I hate in this world, but I can say almost confidently that I hate Dave Bing for his abusive neglect of our city for the past several years. It has been truly difficult and painful to live through. I discovered through inside sources that so many of his promises were literally no more than PR stunts designed to last no longer than when the cameras shut off. He was no Kwame, but he created his own special layer of hell in his own right.