Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by rondinjp View Post
    Supposedly, the Cottons did try to acquire land west of alter [[i.e., Detroit) but were told to go pound sand. Their original plan was to try to develop on both sides and make it into a thriving district.
    Told to go pound sand by whom? Sellers? The City? Would love to hear a name and a credible source. It would seem that there would be plenty of sellers in that area for a buyer like the Cottons with cash. Even the worst kind of speculators have to know that there is no gold mine when it comes to property on Kercheval in Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by swingline View Post
    Told to go pound sand by whom? Sellers? The City? Would love to hear a name and a credible source. It would seem that there would be plenty of sellers in that area for a buyer like the Cottons with cash. Even the worst kind of speculators have to know that there is no gold mine when it comes to property on Kercheval in Detroit.
    You're seriously demanding sources and proof on a thread almost entirely devoted to rumors, speculation and conjecture?
    Last edited by bailey; March-01-13 at 10:50 AM.

I took my first spin on a stool in Janets with my Old Man back in '69, as I grew up over the years and eventually learns the ills of excessive alcohol consumption I found that a plate of hash browns, two over easy, bacon and a side of dry rye would put you in post hang-over heaven!!!

EASTSIDE CAT - Janet's has had a liquor license for a few months, so it would be one-stop shopping for you, so to speak...

Blocking off Kercheval and creating a pedestrian mall is a bad idea for so many reasons it's hard to know where to start.
    I think this plan nicely illustrates the problems with the "let one rich guy buy up a bunch of property and do whatever he wants" school of urban revitalization. The skillset required to design a successful urban district is different from the skillset required to make a big pile of money starting an HMO [[or, say, selling pizzas or hawking mortgages, to pick two other completely random examples). Americans have this weird tendency to assume that anyone capable of getting rich by doing one thing in particular must be hypercompetent in general, and that just isn't the case.

Quote Originally Posted by antongast View Post
    I think this plan nicely illustrates the problems with the "let one rich guy buy up a bunch of property and do whatever he wants" school of urban revitalization. The skillset required to design a successful urban district is different from the skillset required to make a big pile of money starting an HMO [[or, say, selling pizzas or hawking mortgages, to pick two other completely random examples). Americans have this weird tendency to assume that anyone capable of getting rich by doing one thing in particular must be hypercompetent in general, and that just isn't the case.
    valid point. However, I don't think the Gilbertonian/Illitch comparison applies to the Cottons in GP. Kercheval in the Park is not being "revitalized". It's a stable, intact business district. It's being redesigned and evolving. Both of which are being embraced by the vast majority of residents. I've not spoken to one person that says it shouldn't happen. Skeptical? sure. Want to know more about it? yes. Against it? Not one.

Quote Originally Posted by GPCharles View Post
    EASTSIDE CAT - Janet's has had a liquor license for a few months, so it would be one-stop shopping for you, so to speak...
    GP... I no longer live in the area so I'll have to wait for my next visit

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    WHICH hardware store? NOT Pointe??????
    I talked to the owner of Pointe Hardware and it was not sold and will not be sold. This is the only decent hardware store in this end of town and very relieved they are staying.

Quote Originally Posted by noggin View Post
    I talked to the owner of Pointe Hardware and it was not sold and will not be sold. This is the only decent hardware store in this end of town and very relieved they are staying.
    Thank you for that sir. Yes, they ARE a very decent hardware store.

If Pointe Hardware is indeed staying, they better start mobilizing an anti-pedestrian mall effort because the installation of one will quickly destroy their business.

The food at Janet's was never something to brag about. But it had a cool retro vibe. It was a true neighborhood place.

But one way in which it had slipped in recent years was cleanliness. The floor was a constant disaster. The grill and other kitchen equipment exposed in the center of the cool U-shaped counter were embarassingly scuzzy [[is that a word?) The place had developed such a level of grime that it was clear that the proprietors really didn't care much about their customers. People notice this stuff and stay away.
    AGREED! Bob Larsen almost ran that place into the ground, but that's what happens when you don't know what you're doing and have a restaurant as "a hobby." Black mold and rodents and bad food, oh my! Honestly, aside from returning after years to discover that the awesome hashbrowns of my youth now sucked, having to deal with that DB totally turned me off from going back.
    I have heard that the Cottons are just revamping a little, clean and bandage it up, but keep the same form. I hope they keep Linda and her drawn on eyebrows!!

Congrats to them for their staying power, however, I don't understand how a hardware store that closes at 6 during the week and is closed on Sunday continues to make it in the age of the big box store.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Congrats to them for their staying power, however, I don't understand how a hardware store that closes at 6 during the week and is closed on Sunday continues to make it in the age of the big box store.
    They probably have a very loyal clientele...

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    They probably have a very loyal clientele...
    The one thing you have to appreciate is that the service is first rate, they actually know what they are talking about, and can do a lot of extras not done at Home Depot.

I once went to Ace in the Village and asked one of the clerks about getting a valve for my steam radiator. He actually said with a straight face that their selection of automotive parts was very limited.

There has been a lot of rumors going around about the development on Kercheval, the latest is that the Janets Lunch building has been condemned
    and that the building will be torn down. I hope my source is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by 3d1c3 View Post
    There has been a lot of rumors going around about the development on Kercheval, the latest is that the Janets Lunch building has been condemned
    and that the building will be torn down. I hope my source is wrong.
    Water and structural damage.

http://www.heraldonline.com/2013/03/...rk-closes.html
    Last edited by p69rrh51; March-04-13 at 09:27 PM.

First the Bronze Door, then Diamond Lil's now Janet's Lunch - is nothing sacred in GP anymore! GP Charles is depressed, even further.

Quote Originally Posted by GPCharles View Post
    First the Bronze Door, then Diamond Lil's now Janet's Lunch - is nothing sacred in GP anymore! GP Charles is depressed, even further.
    C'mon GPCharles the BD and DL have been gone for how long? While the BD was a cool place and the Deuce always added a little color, was DL that great? As for Janet's in 35+ years all I remember was a very dirty, smelly place with shitty food. Every time someone talked me into going because Janet's had "cleaned" up my skin would start crawling minutes after I arrived. Although my father did meet his mistress there and was on the phone with her while six kids were pumping bullets into him. I am very exited to see what replaces Janet's as well as the rest of the projects underway.
    Last edited by p69rrh51; March-05-13 at 11:49 AM.

It's true, it's true - sarcasm does not translate well on the internet.

I WAS KIDDING, for Pete's sake!!!

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    Notice the closing is announced by GREENSPACE, and across the street from Janet's is the competition restaurant GREENgo's.... coincidence? I think not!

Notice the closing is announced by GREENSPACE, and across the street from Janet's is the competition restaurant GREENgo's.... coincidence? I think not!
    Since I do not know about the relationship between greenspace and greengo's you will have to fill me in.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    Since I do not know about the relationship between greenspace and greengo's you will have to fill me in.
    Bad attempt @ humor, no more.

Bad attempt @ humor, no more.
    My humor is gone today dealing with comcast.

Giving Harry's a tryout this weekend.

I wonder, did they transfer the liquor license from Janet's Lunch to Red Crown?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast