Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Janet's Lunch is Closed

Signs say Closed for Construction and Under New Management. Now owned by the Cotton Family, who have purchased a good deal of property on that end of Kercheval in GP Park.

Quote Originally Posted by GPCharles View Post
    Signs say Closed for Construction and Under New Management. Now owned by the Cotton Family, who have purchased a good deal of property on that end of Kercheval in GP Park.
    NO! I LOVE Janet's Lunch.

It's all part of the bigger plan. Relax.

Hit up Harry's in the meantime.

Quote Originally Posted by TKshreve View Post
    It's all part of the bigger plan. Relax.

Hit up Harry's in the meantime.
    Harry's? I tried the log cabin looking place down Mack. I liked it.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Harry's? I tried the log cabin looking place down Mack. I liked it.
    did you stick to the seats? nasty

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    did you stick to the seats? nasty
    Only when I sat on the duct tape part of the bench seat. We must have social standings. I really, [[and neither did my guest), feel it was that bad, in fact we were talking about a 2nd visit.

I know it is going to re-open, I just hope they don't take it too upscale.

Quote Originally Posted by GPCharles View Post
    I know it is going to re-open, I just hope they don't take it too upscale.
    Agreed. That WAS the beauty of Janet's Lunch. Any idea who this Cotton family is? With Janet's closed, Meuller's closed, ACE relocated, my world is shattered. What next? Head banging heavy metal concerts on Belle Isle? Thank God Pointe Hardware is still in tact.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; February-27-13 at 11:19 AM.

Agreed. That WAS the beauty of Janet's Lunch. Any idea who this Cotton family is? With Janet's closed, Meuller's closed, ACE relocated, my world is shattered. What next? Head banging heavy metal concerts on Belle Isle? Thank God Pointe Hardware is still in tact.
    What they did close was ART's liquor store. That was a big fix much needed.

Was that the PS West of there? That was a shaky place, but a nice mix of customers. I used to see Detroiters and GPers coming out of there. Ever been to the Texas Bar? Looks interesting to me. What's "Harry's"? On Clifford?

I would go even broker if I went to the Sprout House regularly. They inspired me with their smoothies so much that I burned out our blender. Now I have none.

But Greengos knows just how to tempt me with their Facebook prompts. Damnit.

Was that the PS West of there? That was a shaky place, but a nice mix of customers. I used to see Detroiters and GPers coming out of there. Ever been to the Texas Bar? Looks interesting to me. What's "Harry's"? On Clifford?
    HT, a True Value Hardware is moving into the old Ace location in the Village. As for Mulier's they had been mailing it in for years! Although one of the Mulier family members has moved to Village Food Market as a butcher[[you can get your Ace fix and walk across the street). Janet's also was a shell of its former self, and I am interested to see what they want to do with the diner.
    Last edited by p69rrh51; February-27-13 at 12:36 PM.

HT, the Cottons make a s**tload of money off of our taxes. They do 3rd party medical billing mainly through medicare/medicaid. The latest issue of the Pointer has an article on them. The very large mansion on Lakeshore just past the Alger house is being built by one the family members.
    Attached Images Attached Images          
    Last edited by p69rrh51; February-27-13 at 12:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    HT, the Cottons make a s**tload of money off of our taxes. They do 3rd party medical billing mainly through medicare/medicaid. The latest issue of the Pointer has an article on them. The very large mansion on Lakeshore just past the Alger house is being built by one the family members.
    It's actually being built by both sons. There is supposed to be a second house built on the accompanying lot [[i'm guessing it won't be as big due to size of the lot).

As for the family, I grew up a few houses down from the cotton's. The parents still live in GPP down the street from my parents. All-in-all, a really nice family and they are trying hard to change Grosse Pointe [[as a whole) into an even more desirable place to live. Unfortunately, they are getting push-back from older Grosse Pointer's that don't want change. However, there is enough younger blood moving in and running for office positions that I think we will see some real positive changes the next couple of years.

Not sure about the Borders/Ace hardware block. We have heard lots of rumors including everything from one or more high end retail shops [[not TV) to Beaumont acquiring the whole block for offices. This is actually the the first i've heard of True Value moving in. Due to the proximity of ace and pointe hardware i'm a little skeptical about this rumor.

As for Ace, it's my understanding they needed to get out quick, hence the disorganized layout. They are supposedly going to renovate the new store in stages.

Again, this is all hearsay so take for what it's worth as rumors run rampant in GP.

Re the Beaumont offices rumor. Fairly certain that the zoning requires the first floor of all buildings in the village be retail. I suppose Beaumont could buy...er I mean..."argue" for a variance.

Quote Originally Posted by rondinjp View Post
    Again, this is all hearsay so take for what it's worth as rumors run rampant in GP.
    Not like Detroit YES!, where everything is backed by fact!

Country Kitchen

I have never been eagle-eyed by regulars more fiercely than walking into the Texas for one of my cousin's son's shows, when he was still in high school. It was freaky-weird, I expected to hear Dueling Banjos break-out from somewhere.

As for the Country Kitchen, they are recommended...but don't be surprised if every third visit you seem invisible. I've seen more frustrated guests there than anywhere else, and have been subject to it myself twice.

Dunno about any Harry's besides the Clifford one either...but I'd go across the street to visit Greengo's brilliant beauties for some healthier fare instead. Might just have to do that now...although it is too wet for a stroll. ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    I have never been eagle-eyed by regulars more fiercely than walking into the Texas for one of my cousin's son's shows, when he was still in high school. It was freaky-weird, I expected to hear Dueling Banjos break-out from somewhere.

As for the Country Kitchen, they are recommended...but don't be surprised if every third visit you seem invisible. I've seen more frustrated guests there than anywhere else, and have been subject to it myself twice.

Dunno about any Harry's besides the Clifford one either...but I'd go across the street to visit Greengo's brilliant beauties for some healthier fare instead. Might just have to do that now...although it is too wet for a stroll. ugh.
    I like Geengo's, Sprout House too.

How do GP residents deal with all the meters? Do most places validate?

I always wondered how this works. I can't imagine everyone walks around with a bucket of change for every time they go to the library or grocery store.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    How do GP residents deal with all the meters? Do most places validate?

I always wondered how this works. I can't imagine everyone walks around with a bucket of change for every time they go to the library or grocery store.
    I don't know how they're doing financially, but Dearborn went with that nonsense a few years back, and there are a LOT of empty storefronts on the West side of town.

I don't know how they're doing financially, but Dearborn went with that nonsense a few years back, and there are a LOT of empty storefronts on the West side of town.
    Those empty storefronts aren't all attributable to the start of paid parking. Most of it is due to developer Hakim Fakhoury bailing on developing all those storefronts after extended disputes with the city. That's the major reason. In comparison, the parking is miniscule.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    Those empty storefronts aren't all attributable to the start of paid parking. Most of it is due to developer Hakim Fakhoury bailing on developing all those storefronts after extended disputes with the city. That's the major reason. In comparison, the parking is miniscule.
    Ok, but it's still a PITA.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    Well the Paid Parking was a direct result of him. The DDA floated Bonds for the Parking Structures for his development. They were going to be paid back by the increase in taxes the development brought in. The Parking Structures got built but the rest of the project did not. So the DDA has to make those bond payments and the only way to do it was to charge for parking.

West Dearborn needs a total overhaul of the street structure to calm traffic and open up sidewalk space, it could be a very viable downtown area in less than 5 years. The issue is that Dearborn won't let it happen. The reason Dearborn has changed so much is people here got old. It's the same issue in East Dearborn -- I actually wonder what the planners and DDA do there -- they are some of the worst in Metro Detroit. The City really should be amazing and leadership over the past 20 years has caused it to fail old people dont like change so they vote for the same people.

As for Grosse Point - I think it has the same issue as Dearborn with old people, but that seems to be changing. The major issue I see is that the Points used to only have ghetto on the south - now it is on the west as well. How many GP shop at Eastland now -- How many used to go there 15 years ago.

The Cottons are turning the vintage Standard gas station on Kercheval into a fine dining resturant. Nice to see a building like that being saved.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...text|FRONTPAGE

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast