Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by GPCharles View Post
    I know it is going to re-open, I just hope they don't take it too upscale.
    Agreed. That WAS the beauty of Janet's Lunch. Any idea who this Cotton family is? With Janet's closed, Meuller's closed, ACE relocated, my world is shattered. What next? Head banging heavy metal concerts on Belle Isle? Thank God Pointe Hardware is still in tact.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; February-27-13 at 11:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Agreed. That WAS the beauty of Janet's Lunch. Any idea who this Cotton family is? With Janet's closed, Meuller's closed, ACE relocated, my world is shattered. What next? Head banging heavy metal concerts on Belle Isle? Thank God Pointe Hardware is still in tact.
    What they did close was ART's liquor store. That was a big fix much needed.

Was that the PS West of there? That was a shaky place, but a nice mix of customers. I used to see Detroiters and GPers coming out of there. Ever been to the Texas Bar? Looks interesting to me. What's "Harry's"? On Clifford?

I would go even broker if I went to the Sprout House regularly. They inspired me with their smoothies so much that I burned out our blender. Now I have none.

But Greengos knows just how to tempt me with their Facebook prompts. Damnit.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    I would go even broker if I went to the Sprout House regularly. They inspired me with their smoothies so much that I burned out our blender. Now I have none.

But Greengos knows just how to tempt me with their Facebook prompts. Damnit.
    If you're in the market, I have a Starbucks Barista Blender that could be yours. It works great, but we ungraded to a vitamix 5200. The Vitamix can purée a brick, the Starbucks blender can only purée a 2x4.

Was that the PS West of there? That was a shaky place, but a nice mix of customers. I used to see Detroiters and GPers coming out of there. Ever been to the Texas Bar? Looks interesting to me. What's "Harry's"? On Clifford?
    HT, a True Value Hardware is moving into the old Ace location in the Village. As for Mulier's they had been mailing it in for years! Although one of the Mulier family members has moved to Village Food Market as a butcher[[you can get your Ace fix and walk across the street). Janet's also was a shell of its former self, and I am interested to see what they want to do with the diner.
    Last edited by p69rrh51; February-27-13 at 12:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    HT, a True Value Hardware is moving into the old Ace location in the Village. As for Mulier's they had been mailing it in for years! Although one of the Mulier family members has moved to Village Food Market as a butcher[[you can get your Ace fix and walk across the street). Janet's also was a shell of its former self, and I am interested to see what they want to do with the diner.
    Beat me to it. I just heard about the True Value...so that basically confirms that ACE just couldn't pay the rent. The "new" ACE is a cluster*&%@. Terrible parking and silly layout. I give it a year. Less if TV gets up and running soon.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Beat me to it. I just heard about the True Value...so that basically confirms that ACE just couldn't pay the rent. The "new" ACE is a cluster*&%@. Terrible parking and silly layout. I give it a year. Less if TV gets up and running soon.
    The layout does need some refinement but the parking is free and not any worse than the Village. The parking behind Kercheval is going to be a big headache for TV.

The layout does need some refinement but the parking is free and not any worse than the Village. The parking behind Kercheval is going to be a big headache for TV.
    IIRC, back when that lot had an attendant, parking was validated. Then they went to meters. Now that they're on a ticket system, I wonder if they'll go back to validating.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    I was there a few weeks ago, and yes, currently it IS a cluster*&%@. Once they get all their stock out and get organized, I think they're going to be a very profitable store. I find it hard to believe they couldn't pay their rent @ the old location. They had a lot of good traffic there. As far as parking, how can you go wrong being located on an old car dealer lot? PLENTY of spaces to choose from. Unfortunately, both the new ACE and The Village Mkt. are a bit too far for me now to run across the border, [[time & materials, gas prices), everytime I need something for a repair @ home. I guess I'll have to make like a REAL Detroiter and haul it in from the 'burbs on my way home from work.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; February-27-13 at 01:13 PM.

I was there a few weeks ago, and yes, currently it IS a cluster*&%@. Once they get all their stock out and get organized, I think they're going to be a very profitable store. I find it hard to believe they couldn't pay their rent @ the old location. They had a lot of good traffic there. As far as parking, how can you go wrong being located on an old car dealer lot? PLENTY of spaces to choose from. Unfortunately, both the new ACE and The Village Mkt. are a bit too far for me now to run across the border, [[time & materials, gas prices), everytime I need something for a repair @ home. I guess I'll have to make like a REAL Detroiter and haul it in from the 'burbs on my way home from work.
    You'd think that but there isn't a ton of parking. Am I missing something, I thought the only place to park was that little lot in front of the building? IIRC, most of the old dealer "lot" became the new McDonalds.
    Last edited by bailey; February-27-13 at 01:32 PM.

The food at Janet's was never something to brag about. But it had a cool retro vibe. It was a true neighborhood place.

But one way in which it had slipped in recent years was cleanliness. The floor was a constant disaster. The grill and other kitchen equipment exposed in the center of the cool U-shaped counter were embarassingly scuzzy [[is that a word?) The place had developed such a level of grime that it was clear that the proprietors really didn't care much about their customers. People notice this stuff and stay away.

Quote Originally Posted by swingline View Post
    The food at Janet's was never something to brag about. But it had a cool retro vibe. It was a true neighborhood place.

But one way in which it had slipped in recent years was cleanliness. The floor was a constant disaster. The grill and other kitchen equipment exposed in the center of the cool U-shaped counter were embarassingly scuzzy [[is that a word?) The place had developed such a level of grime that it was clear that the proprietors really didn't care much about their customers. People notice this stuff and stay away.
    AGREED! Bob Larsen almost ran that place into the ground, but that's what happens when you don't know what you're doing and have a restaurant as "a hobby." Black mold and rodents and bad food, oh my! Honestly, aside from returning after years to discover that the awesome hashbrowns of my youth now sucked, having to deal with that DB totally turned me off from going back.
    I have heard that the Cottons are just revamping a little, clean and bandage it up, but keep the same form. I hope they keep Linda and her drawn on eyebrows!!

HT, the Cottons make a s**tload of money off of our taxes. They do 3rd party medical billing mainly through medicare/medicaid. The latest issue of the Pointer has an article on them. The very large mansion on Lakeshore just past the Alger house is being built by one the family members.
    Attached Images Attached Images          
    Last edited by p69rrh51; February-27-13 at 12:44 PM.

HT, the Cottons make a s**tload of money off of our taxes. They do 3rd party medical billing mainly through medicare/medicaid. The latest issue of the Pointer has an article on them. The very large mansion on Lakeshore just past the Alger house is being built by one the family members.
    It's actually being built by both sons. There is supposed to be a second house built on the accompanying lot [[i'm guessing it won't be as big due to size of the lot).

As for the family, I grew up a few houses down from the cotton's. The parents still live in GPP down the street from my parents. All-in-all, a really nice family and they are trying hard to change Grosse Pointe [[as a whole) into an even more desirable place to live. Unfortunately, they are getting push-back from older Grosse Pointer's that don't want change. However, there is enough younger blood moving in and running for office positions that I think we will see some real positive changes the next couple of years.

Not sure about the Borders/Ace hardware block. We have heard lots of rumors including everything from one or more high end retail shops [[not TV) to Beaumont acquiring the whole block for offices. This is actually the the first i've heard of True Value moving in. Due to the proximity of ace and pointe hardware i'm a little skeptical about this rumor.

As for Ace, it's my understanding they needed to get out quick, hence the disorganized layout. They are supposedly going to renovate the new store in stages.

Again, this is all hearsay so take for what it's worth as rumors run rampant in GP.

Re the Beaumont offices rumor. Fairly certain that the zoning requires the first floor of all buildings in the village be retail. I suppose Beaumont could buy...er I mean..."argue" for a variance.

Quote Originally Posted by rondinjp View Post
    Again, this is all hearsay so take for what it's worth as rumors run rampant in GP.
    Not like Detroit YES!, where everything is backed by fact!