Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

There is a bunch of secure, safe and FREE options to park for Wings games.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    It is a functioning sub-level to their downtown area...where the alley-type actions happen, and the occasional taxi shortcut. I have never seen it flooded. From the first time I ever saw it, it was both creepy and amazing at the same time.
    I was there for a conference without a car and time to spare, I walked from Lincoln Park down to Millenium Park and back. On the way back, I took the "underground" route, complete with the lower level to the drawbridge, back up town. Creepy and amazing is the perfect way to describe it. The best feature was what looked like a old brick building bar "Billy Goat Tavern" that was located on this lower level street... when I walked up the stairs, the building above ground at this location was a modern steel and glass building.

Below ground: http://goo.gl/maps/cN8Yb

Above ground: http://goo.gl/maps/L11jl
    Last edited by cramerro; February-25-13 at 09:45 AM.

Times are a changin' Yes, you used to be able to park the car at meter after work, throw in a quarter and make it to the 6:00pm threshold and enjoy the night in the city. This was a good deal for people that frequented downtown and understood the system. Unfortunately, this has changed. Now you are to park and pay in a lot. Or get the meter ticket and pay the $10 to the city.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Not to mention the ghost employees probably on the COD payrolls - tucked away in some obscure crannies and corners getting checks.
    This is no joke. An aquaintance of mine was surveying the DPD HQ on Beaubien to prepare for the move to the new building. Said there were several unidentified people holed up in offices on mostly vacant floors that had no discernable position or job. WTF?

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    A friend also got a ticket in Royal Oak for backing into a metered parking lot space. Apparently they want to be able to read your plates while cruising through the parking lots. He too is outraged and refused to pay the fine. He claims it isn't a problem because he has no intentions of returning to Royal Oak. Oh well....
    There was a report on WDIV a few months back about Southfield having units which only drive around scanning license plates...even in private parking lots.

If they are doing it, they learned it from the Royal Joke Authorities.

Quote Originally Posted by ScienceFair View Post
    This is no joke. An aquaintance of mine was surveying the DPD HQ on Beaubien to prepare for the move to the new building. Said there were several unidentified people holed up in offices on mostly vacant floors that had no discernable position or job. WTF?
    I wonder what discernable connections any of them might have to previous administrations and leadership?! I wouldn't be surprised if some of 'em go back to Chief "Two Large Ceiling Tile" Hart...heh.

Quote Originally Posted by ScienceFair View Post
    And people get on my case because they think I make this shit up! Glad to hear someone else has experienced the Detroit Triangle.

Quote Originally Posted by cramerro View Post
    The best feature was what looked like a old brick building bar "Billy Goat Tavern" that was located on this lower level street...
    I've been told that bar is the inspiration for the Belushi SNL skit "Chee Burga Chee burga, no coke, Pepsi"
    The Second City gang allegedly went there after shows in the pre-SNL days

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1tFx5xKrSI

This explains the Billy goat and the history of the road

Quote Originally Posted by kenp View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1tFx5xKrSI

This explains the Billy goat and the history of the road
    My favourite part of that chase scene... seeing the half-used cigarettes and trash slide across the dashboard while they navigate Lower Wacker. Thanks for that!

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    You're joking right?
    Of course I'm joking. Commerce in Detroit is doing so great there's no point in providing any incentive for folks to come into the city to shop, socialize, have dinner or drinks. Let's make something as simple and benign as parking your car a miserable experience.

Quote Originally Posted by cramerro View Post
    I was there for a conference without a car and time to spare, I walked from Lincoln Park down to Millenium Park and back. On the way back, I took the "underground" route, complete with the lower level to the drawbridge, back up town. Creepy and amazing is the perfect way to describe it. The best feature was what looked like a old brick building bar "Billy Goat Tavern" that was located on this lower level street... when I walked up the stairs, the building above ground at this location was a modern steel and glass building.

Below ground: http://goo.gl/maps/cN8Yb

Above ground: http://goo.gl/maps/L11jl
    This business not far from the tow company was a favorite oddity. It's not on the Lower Level...but the Lower-Lower level. They went out of business. Gee...uh, I wonder why.

BTW, a similar double decked street system was proposed for Detroit. There's a really cool graphic somewhere out on the web I've been searching for a long time. It's shows a section cut of Campus Martius with Trolleys and vehicles running under ground. Though when think about it, the plan was partially realized when many underground parking garages were built beneath downtown Detroit.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3