Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

We have plenty of Pheasants! I see them often walking about anywhere there are broad open spaces and grass, or whatever.

Oh man I want to see one...i havent stopped looking out my window yet today ..so far all i have seen today is my friends Bogie & Bacall [[my pet names for the 2 falcons that fly outside my window ) I am hoping to catch sight of this Eagle as well.

Some publicity for Detroit Video Daily in today's Detroit News:

"A bald eagle was spotted on the island last weekend, according to a blogger for the Detroit Video Daily website, which posted photos Monday of the bird perched atop a tree branch on what appeared to be the eastern end of the island."

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...CFRONTPAGE%7Cs

What a great sight and good omen. For those of us who have been around for a while, we remember when the Lake St. Clair and the Straits were devolving into sewers. Much has improved since then and much remains to be improved, I still avoid tap water, but the arc of improvement is encouraging.

I see one along Lake St. Clair every year around this time. I wonder if it's the same one, returning each year?

There are nests out by Fermi and Monroe for bald eagles that are maintained by DTE.

http://www.dteenergy.com/dteEnergyCo...edSpecies.html

From the size of this one, this looks to be a younger bird. I've seen some full grown ones in Washington state; it's scary how large they get.

I've seen a few predatory birds hanging out on my skylight in Hamtown looking at me eat chicken.

I feel like the more interesting or regal the animal, the better taste they have in settings. There's some interesting wildlife at Palmer Park, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Islandman View Post
    There are nests out by Fermi and Monroe for bald eagles that are maintained by DTE.

http://www.dteenergy.com/dteEnergyCo...edSpecies.html

From the size of this one, this looks to be a younger bird. I've seen some full grown ones in Washington state; it's scary how large they get.

I've seen a few predatory birds hanging out on my skylight in Hamtown looking at me eat chicken.
    It's an adult bird. At least 5 years old. Juveniles don't get the white head until usually their 5th year.

Name:  IMG_1139SM.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  48.7 KBHere's the a picture of a Juevnile I took in my backyard in 2009.

Caution... Eagles have a weight lifting capacity of 4lb. So if you're taking your small pet for a walk on Belle Isle [[or elsewhere)... keep that in mind. While Eagle snatching up dogs or cats are very very rare... if they're small enough... they're game....

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Caution... Eagles have a weight lifting capacity of 4lb. So if you're taking your small pet for a walk on Belle Isle [[or elsewhere)... keep that in mind. While Eagle snatching up dogs or cats are very very rare... if they're small enough... they're game....
    And even small children!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNK0v...yer_detailpage

Nice catch. I don't know much about Bald Eagles, but it appears to be a little young, much thinner than the ones we see out here. I live along the Columbia River, and this time of year, they're all over the place [[I saw 6 in a 5 mile stretch along the river this morning).

Do they summer in Detroit? Most of ours will go north for the summer, returning down here for winter feeding, leaving the summer fish to the Ospreys.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    Some publicity for Detroit Video Daily in today's Detroit News:

"A bald eagle was spotted on the island last weekend, according to a blogger for the Detroit Video Daily website, which posted photos Monday of the bird perched atop a tree branch on what appeared to be the eastern end of the island."

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...CFRONTPAGE%7Cs
    Thanks Kathleen for posting the Detroit News story! To say the least, I was surprised that my blog got mentioned in the paper!
    -DVD

There has been an aerie in existence on Peche Isle for many a year. Glad everyone has had the opportunity to see them on and near Belle Isle.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    That was a hoax by a group of Visual FX students for a school project at NAD Montreal. The park is a slope on Mount Royal.

http://news.discovery.com/animals/ba...ral-121219.htm

sorry, first of all..Eagles are not migratory birds. they are preditory and follow the food source. what is probably happening is that they are re-establishing their presence because of the need for space. each new bird needs to carve out a spot to hunt and will search in it's own space. it is all good that we see them comming back.

just last summer i did a kayak trip down the rouge river. at the mouth of the river are sign's forbidding you from docking because the DTE plant has made them bird sanctuaries. i was amazed at the wildlife all along the river that i thought was dead for years. turtles, fish and birds were thriving with-in feet of old industrial junk.

Actually, they are migratory to the point that in following the food source often involves seeking open water, which sometimes dictates the fact that they sometimes need to fly south. Even if not a great distance, it is considered a migration.

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    Actually, they are migratory to the point that in following the food source often involves seeking open water, which sometimes dictates the fact that they sometimes need to fly south. Even if not a great distance, it is considered a migration.
    I'm not so sure about that. Years ago we ran into a pair on a mountain top out West while skiing. They were feasting on what appeared to be a rabbit. I was hoping skiiers weren't part of their diet. Being from the City, it was a site to behold. Big majestic birds.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; February-25-13 at 05:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    That was a hoax by a group of Visual FX students for a school project at NAD Montreal. The park is a slope on Mount Royal.

http://news.discovery.com/animals/ba...ral-121219.htm
    I know, canuck. My idea of a little joke. Thanx, though.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; February-25-13 at 05:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I'm not so sure about that. Years ago we ran into a pair on a mountain top out West while skiing. They were feasting on what appeared to be a rabbit. I was hoping skiiers weren't part of their diet. Being from the City, it was a site to behold. Big majestic birds.
    Bald eagles' preferred diet is fish, but they are opportunistic hunters. I would bet that there are open streams/rivers near where you were skiing

Seeing this picture made my day. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by atl_runner View Post
    Seeing this picture made my day. Thanks!
    For certain! The pics are great - thank you to who posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    if eagles are nesting in belle isle, couldn't the park qualify for some type of special grants for environmental maintenance, upgrades?
    Maybe, but the city council would mess that up...... sorry, had to....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast