Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

To be fair to David Graeber, here's another video where he essentially agrees with my previous post: 5 Types of Bullsh*t Jobs with David Graeber.

I look back with fond memories of spending a couple years working in a factory — mostly because it unquestionably produced real benefit to others. The misconception that office workers produce greater value than factory workers is tragically unfair.

True, there might be a general difference in education but to me that difference seems largely unnecessary. I've met some surprisingly brilliant people who chose to do factory work.

Most folks in offices have bullshit jobs. I don't blame them though. I think they're involuntarily herded into those desk chairs by "administrative types" for reasons of "office politics."

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    I look back with fond memories of spending a couple years working in a factory — mostly because it unquestionably produced real benefit to others... Most folks in offices have bullshit jobs.
    People in offices were designing the things you were building. And the machines you use to build those things. And the software that ran the machines. And a person in an office designed the factory you were building the things in.

Are those different than the office jobs you are talking about or do those not count somehow?

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    People in offices were designing the things you were building. And the machines you use to build those things. And the software that ran the machines. And a person in an office designed the factory you were building the things in.

Are those different than the office jobs you are talking about or do those not count somehow?
    I've done all that too. You're too selective. Of course those specifically selected jobs are all both different and count.

The problem is that they're increasingly rare in the totality. The difference is the enormous multitude of other, artificially created, bullshit office jobs [[which is Graeber's point).

Factories may have their own corruptions, but actual on-the-clock factory work is indisputably honest. I envy, respect, and salute that.
    Last edited by Jimaz; September-26-17 at 10:18 PM.