Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    You need to talk to those idiot Zamboni drivers. They use snow tires on ice. If they didn't there would be a big new door to the penalty box.
    I've yet to see a car sliding out of control on an ice rink where the zamboni driver had to hit his brakes and swerve to avoid it. I could be wrong, but I don't imagine he'd do too well if that happened.

Quote Originally Posted by SMRJim View Post
    I've yet to see a car sliding out of control on an ice rink where the zamboni driver had to hit his brakes and swerve to avoid it. I could be wrong, but I don't imagine he'd do too well if that happened.
    Cars battling Zamboni's, lol. Might make for a good video game. However, if the scenario you describe did happen, the Zamboni driver would have a much better chance avoiding a collision on snow tires than regular tires. They don't make snow tires in winter mandatory in Quebec for no reason.

Wasn't there an ad on the telly years ago with cars driving on a rink with the new winter performance tires? I don't think anyone who has taken Physics would want to challenge a Zamboni, though!

Might not have been Bridgestone Blizzak...might've been one of the followers, perhaps Dunlop or Yokohama.

My Livonia friend is a big fan of those Hankooks...but I just can't get past that name. Curious that Tire Rack doesn't show any of the far-Eastern brands' winter tires, I know some of 'em make winter models...

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Wasn't there an ad on the telly years ago with cars driving on a rink with the new winter performance tires? I don't think anyone who has taken Physics would want to challenge a Zamboni, though!

Might not have been Bridgestone Blizzak...might've been one of the followers, perhaps Dunlop or Yokohama.

My Livonia friend is a big fan of those Hankooks...but I just can't get past that name. Curious that Tire Rack doesn't show any of the far-Eastern brands' winter tires, I know some of 'em make winter models...
    I'm surprised someone remembers that commercial, if it is the one I'm thinking of, it was for studded snow tires. The first part showed cars sliding around a hockey rink, crashing into the boards. The 2nd part, after they donned studded snow tires, showed them doing doughnuts around a Zamboni.
    Huh, you're right. Tire rack no longer lists any of those brand name winter tires. I would love to try a set of these magic winter tires on ice, because quite frankly, I have my doubts. Snow or a mix, yes, frozen ice? I don't know.....

I just remembered Michelin's Artic Alpin tires...forgot about them. That might've been what I had on the Audi, actually. Windstar, too. This might be my first time with Blizzaks, actually.

Here is the first ad I found on a seach of winter tires on a hockey rink.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jK-npRlaSYI

Found this. Curious.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_racing

I think Penske should start the first North American Ice Racing Series. On Belle Isle. Hell, they can run jetboats on the river when it's iced, too. Just put 'em on those blades the wind-jammers use when it's cold enough on Lake St. Clair.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    Cars battling Zamboni's, lol. Might make for a good video game. However, if the scenario you describe did happen, the Zamboni driver would have a much better chance avoiding a collision on snow tires than regular tires. They don't make snow tires in winter mandatory in Quebec for no reason.

It's been a couple of years since the law was passed on mandatory winter tires and apparently there are fewer accidents. I remember how not long ago they used to sell all-season or four season tires here but car critics used to tell folks that was a no-no.

There is also the distinction of ice and snow tires. I picked ice because I do 99% city driving and the worst conditions are icy ones, the highways here are often elevated which increases the risks since they are much colder than pavement on grade.

This reminds me of the time, long ago, when I spun out a VW Beetle on ice, in first gear, traveling as slow as it could go, steering ever so slightly with fingertips only, yet still I spun out.

No damage. No other vehicles around. Smarter drivers stayed home in that storm.

Sometimes it gets so bad that there's just no amount of caution that works other than to stay off the road.
    Last edited by Jimaz; February-18-13 at 09:09 PM.

While sudden squalls can and do happen, a lot of the problem is people around here drive like idiots. You got some people who drive way too fast, and then some who drive way too slow. I don't know which is worse. Then you have some people who don't know how to keep their distance.

For me personally, I can't stand the people who linger either right next to me or directly behind. I don't mind driving in the snow so much is I don't trust other drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Brains View Post
    For me personally, I can't stand the people who linger either right next to me or directly behind. I don't mind driving in the snow so much is I don't trust other drivers.
    Yeah, the only time I drive anywhere approaching dangerously in the snow and ice is when I have to get AWAY from those who linger and crowd. On the way back from Ypsi a few Sundays ago, more than a few times my partner noticed me do some aggressive defensive driving moves...questioned the first one, but as she saw it play out she understood.

I'd say the biggest danger in the snow are those who are unaware of their equipment's and their own limitations. They are easy to spot, unless they do something totally dorky in heavy fog or a whiteout. [[or especially so, like my hifi friend who came to a full stop in the middle of I-75 in the Smokeys on the way home from Atlanta one time, due some f'in' FOG! After I stopped screaming obscenities at him, I calmly asked him if he knew how chain-reaction accidents started...)

The only way to learn how to recover from a slip or spin is to practice, practice, practice in empty parking lots. That is the only way to learn your vehicle dynamics and ability to respond. When I am on the road during inclement weather, I'm testing the road conditions constantly.

Not a big believer in the term 'black ice', that is used by most people to excuse their ignorance and lack of awareness/perception. True black ice comes out of nowhere in conditions not usually encountered due the road and weather at the time...when most people mention the term, it is when EVERYONE should be expecting ice. Just because you didn't see it, doesn't make it black ice.

Rant over.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Gannon; February-19-13 at 03:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    This reminds me of the time, long ago, when I spun out a VW Beetle on ice, in first gear, traveling as slow as it could go, steering ever so slightly with fingertips only, yet still I spun out.

No damage. No other vehicles around. Smarter drivers stayed home in that storm.

Sometimes it gets so bad that there's just no amount of caution that works other than to stay off the road.
    I got a phone call out of the blue one morning a few months ago, from the youngest brother of my favorite Detroit cop, because the conditions driving to work reminded him of a time I drove him to high school in my '66 Beetle. Over thirty years ago.

We turned left in front of some traffic, and the back end broke away on glare white ice. Realizing it was too far to recover, I turned the wheels the other way and did a complete 180, without losing momentum. Didn't stop, apparently didn't blink, either. He was impressed enough to not forget.

The Beetle chassis was quite predictable in the snow and ice, and due that extra weight out back had a preciously small angle of skid recovery...lucky with all that traction it was almost never an issue!

I had American F-series radials on the back, down around 20psi, damn thing usually tracked like a tank. Usually. I drove across the islands of Oakman one year all the way from Tireman to Ford Road...in snow more than a foot deep...just to show we could! Miss that Beetle...

Cheers
    Last edited by Gannon; February-19-13 at 02:02 AM.

It seems that when the weather people use the term "snow showers" we often get the snow squalls. Be prepared, expect the worst.

I've run on Yokohama and Hankooks all season tires on many of my cars without issue. Their a standard mid-range and Discount Tire. But then I drove stick shift cars for decades and now I gear down in my automatic and engage over-drive on and off to get the same traction and have had success on snow and ice when I see the ice. And not going too fast!

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    It seems that when the weather people use the term "snow showers" we often get the snow squalls. Be prepared, expect the worst.
    I never watch or listen to the weather talking heads giving me "the BIG picture". If you really want to know what's going on with the weather, go to http://www.noaa.gov/, put in your zip code, and take a look @ the satellite images for yourself. TV weather, like TV news, is designed to sell commercials and generate revenue for said station.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I've run on Yokohama and Hankooks all season tires on many of my cars without issue. Their a standard mid-range and Discount Tire. But then I drove stick shift cars for decades and now I gear down in my automatic and engage over-drive on and off to get the same traction and have had success on snow and ice when I see the ice. And not going too fast!
    I also run high performance all season tires, [[Pirelli P6, V rated), and have never had an issue. I've been in Northern MI in some of the worst conditions, and never felt out of control. Last Saturday I was out and about @ the height of the snowstorm and feared for my safety. I had several "close encounters of the worst kind". People coming @ me, wide-eyed, brakes locked up, steering to beat the band, and NOTHING'S working. Each encouter was due to taking corners too fast for the conditions @ hand. I also wonder how many people are out there riding around on "baldies".

Bunch of baldies are out there due to the economy and other factors... I've noted in the city and 'burbs. You'll see some folk who've purchased cars with 16 - 17 and beyond size wheels - which look cool I suppose - then when those tires wear out and the butchers bill is $350+ each tire! Well per that surprise they drive 'em beyond tread.

I drive a Ford Focus and a Toyota Camry that take standard tires [[my Toy takes 165/15's I think so I can afford my tires, but they are not cheap for anyone! I see those already thin profile 17's bald to heck. Sorta steep when you're looking at $1200 to replace four tires. So they don't.
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-19-13 at 03:52 PM.

I drive a Focus SVT with Michelin Pilot Sport Alpin...235-45-17s. She's my own personal rally car in the bad weather! Gannon can confirm!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2