Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Not a fan of Pugh; didn't vote for him. Nonetheless, he did far better than I expected of a man who clearly had problems with math and ethics as evidenced by the number of times his landlord had to sue for eviction in order to get him to pay his rent.

Also, in fairness to Pugh, he's managed to maintain some decorum in city council under very trying circumstances. The No Consent No Takeover theatrical ensemble can be very tough to manage. The 13th Floor of the Coleman A. Young Municipal Center is the Apollo Theater of urban politics.

The guy has put significant time into trying to make Detroit better and he took on a thankless job. He ran and he won. Almost immediately, in typical fashion, we learned that he be gay, a drunk driver, and had a bankruptcy over some damned condo. And on and on from there. Yet, to me, he's been a very sound voice on the council.

I don't know the dude personally, and frankly think that he was star-struck for a while, what with that money and all. I think it is a stretch for him to claim any sort of title for restoring ANYthing to the DCC.

Having heard him speak on all the issues over the past few years, yeah, sometimes it sounded like he was falling into the trappings of the holier and smarter and blacker than thou politics that rule.

The DCC was a HELL of a lot worse in 2007. You can bank on that.

At least he is leaving. Who can blame him? It's not like something to boast about on your resume. I mean, look what happened to Dennis Archer. Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Now if only Dave "Do-nothing like a deer in headlights" Bing can admit that he was an abject failure and also not seek reelection, although McGriff the Crime Dog has a better chance of getting elected than he does of getting reelected anyway.

Godspeed back to Franklin please!!!
    I think I agree but I'm not positive. After K.K got reelected it dawned on me that when it comes to Detroit politics anything is possible.

Shollin Guest

How come there wasn't a rally to save Charles Pugh's house from foreclosure? Aren't foreclosures just the evil bank's fault anyways?

Quote Originally Posted by Shollin View Post
    How come there wasn't a rally to save Charles Pugh's house from foreclosure?
    Which time? The first time or the second time?
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; February-01-13 at 10:23 PM.

Yeah, that first one was well before they were trendy, right?!

Detroit doesn't need "Dignity and Respect" to succeed; it needs SOLUTIONS and then dignity and respect will automatically follow. If Pugh has been concentrating on dignity and respect he's been wasting his time - which is borne out by the results.

Good for him. Better to a report the news, then to be yourself in the news.

3 months ago I was sure he would run for Mayor. What a thankless job

Quote Originally Posted by kenp View Post
    3 months ago I was sure he would run for Mayor. What a thankless job
    Pugh must have known deep down he could not handle the mayor job. Hard to fool most citizens when you are in the limelight like that. Plus the mayor position is real work, you can't pass the buck as easily as when you are on council. The next mayor will have a next to impossible job of rebuilding a fiscally sound city. I am waiting for him to announce a book. They always do. I hope he moves out of state. He can rest on his phony credentials somewhere else.

Had to laugh when he mentioned the possibility of working on MSNBC. The guy is dreaming.
    Have to admit, I had high hopes for him when he joined council. He turned out to bring a lot of baggage with him and was rather lack luster in his job.
    I don't think media in city will be beating down his door for his services.

Pugh to Quit after "restoring dignity and respect and order to the council."

Does he have an ETA when all this will take place?
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; February-02-13 at 10:57 PM.

Saw Pugh for a few minutes on Devin's Channel 4 show this morning. Pugh acts like he is trying to call the shots with how he wants Gov Snyder and the brass in Lansing to deal with Belle Isle. Pugh does not realize that Snyder was playing nice , Pugh snubbed Lansing on an ego trip just to show he could do it. This will all backfire. Don't look for Lansing to try and work with the clowncil on anything till Pugh gone. What a fricking a@@ !!!!

Hah! That was a good one ----!

Quote Originally Posted by evergreen View Post
    ...Coleman A. Young Municipal Center is the Apollo Theater of urban politics.

Well stated D!

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    ...Better to a report the news, then to be yourself in the news.

He was in front of me in line at a Subway restaurant in Southfield a few weeks ago at lunchtime. He wasn't very friendly to anybody. He was driving a real sharp red Lincoln.

Pugh was a huge disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Detroit City Council President Charles Pugh has announced that he will not seek re-election this fall. He plans to return to broadcast media as told in an interview with the Freep's Rochelle Riley. Link.

I am sure the above will draw some guffaws, but I think few can argue that at the antic level council has been a far more dignified than the low bar set by previous councils.

Personally I find this disappointing. I think the Pugh is arguably the most articulate member of Council in a long time with unquestioned intelligence. That said, and with the chaos of city politics, I can't blame him either and wish him luck.
    Lowell, yes, certainly the professionalism and integrity of the Council has improved during Mr. Pugh's tenure. And yes, Mr. Pugh did seem to have a lot of potential to become a moderate, well-informed, "fresh voice" kind of leader. But he has stumbled greatly.

The Belle Isle issue gave Mr. Pugh the perfect, high profile platform to lead the politics of this city beyond the race-based, finger pointed at "outsiders" model of the past, and toward pragmatic policy that is focused solely on what will improve the quality of life here. Instead, he choked. His attempt to justify his position on the Flashpoint show on Sunday was so feeble it was almost comical. He had no rational explanation for his actions other than to suggest that "we have to get more creative" in finding solutions for Belle Isle. As if after diddling around for six months with the State Park idea, we continue to have all the time in the world to figure something out. He had no response at all for the larger political and policy implications of Council's rejection of this gift from the State.

As a new leader who pledged to find new ways to solve Detroit's myriad problems, Mr. Pugh has been a huge disappointment. He really hasn't provided much leadership at all.

"Pugh said he was proudest to achieve his main goal of 'restoring dignity and respect and order to the council.'"

Name:  s-CHARLESPUGHBODY-large.jpg
Views: 521
Size:  6.1 KB

Um ... OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    "Pugh said he was proudest to achieve his main goal of 'restoring dignity and respect and order to the council.'"

Name:  s-CHARLESPUGHBODY-large.jpg
Views: 521
Size:  6.1 KB

Um ... OK.
    Nice! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by fanniemae View Post
    Word on the street was that WJBK was not offering him a contract when his was up last go around. He created turmoil behind the scenes with his diva attitude. At best, he might be a reporter, or weekend anchor in Toledo, Flint or Saginaw.
    Somebody on this thread mentioned this when he announced he was running for city council. Channel 2 was glad he was gone.

"Great talents and great passions generally turn away from power in order to pursue wealth; and it often happens that one takes charge of directing the fortune of the state only when one feels oneself barely capable of conducting one's own affairs."
    Alexis de Tocqueville, "Democracy in America"

wow, just wrote 2 long critical posts on Chuck. Went to post the first one and it was suddenly blank. 2nd one was wiped out while I was typing. Something's telling me to let it go

I wish that he would step down now

Quote Originally Posted by kenp View Post
    wow, just wrote 2 long critical posts on Chuck. Went to post the first one and it was suddenly blank. 2nd one was wiped out while I was typing. Something's telling me to let it go
    Would like to hear what you have on your mind. I never liked Pugh when he was on WJBK. He is conceited and arrogant. I knew he was trouble from the beginning. Absolutely useless person.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast