Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Shollin View Post
    I got an idea. Take away 6 million of his tax subsidies and give it to Belle Isle. Problem solved.
    If it's just $6 million, that's a cute little number. I'm not necessarily in favor of public handouts to private individuals. But even if you said $60 million or $160 million I wouldn't be surprised. Even though I tend to take a liberal position on most issues, I believe that money is much safer and more useful in Gilbert hands. Those dollars will be put back into the city. The city government would otherwise squander and waste its own money. Yeah, yeah...don't bite the hand that feeds you....or wait is it the other way around. Oh yes, Gilbert's business and his employees pay taxes, and generate ancillary economic activity downtown.

Still, probably the best thing to not say anything. Spur of the moment comment maybe, but it's now in the news and that should be no surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by jeduncan View Post
    In the words of a friend of mine re: City Council's stance on the Belle Isle situation:

"Belle Isle: It's a piece of shit, but it's OUR piece of shit."

My stance on the whole thing is this: What's the worst that could happen? The city is clearly in over their head with financial troubles to the point where island maintenance is not necessarily a priority [[understandably so). Try something new!
    I don't think Belle Isle Is "a piece of shit" as your learned friend points out. In fact I think it's far from it. I enjoy it's naturalness, it's birds, it's wildlife, and it's vegetation. It is a bit rough around the edges, and definitely needs upkeep. Maybe your friend is used to a different type of lifestyle? Perhaps 4 Bares Waterpark, or one of those other contrived BS theme parks with Home Depot hanging baskets is more to his/hers liking?

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    Is your friend in middle school? This sounds remarkably similar to, "I don't care if I'm ruining my life because it's my life, mom, I'll do whatever I want!"
    No, you misunderstood the joke. He was speaking as if he was Council. He, like myself, is not opposed to the state park idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I don't think Belle Isle Is "a piece of shit" as your learned friend points out. In fact I think it's far from it. I enjoy it's naturalness, it's birds, it's wildlife, and it's vegetation. It is a bit rough around the edges, and definitely needs upkeep. Maybe your friend is used to a different type of lifestyle? Perhaps 4 Bares Waterpark, or one of those other contrived BS theme parks with Home Depot hanging baskets is more to his/hers liking?
    And to be clear, neither of us think the island is a "piece of shit." I've spent a lot of time on that island, stood up in weddings on that island, and we both have great admiration for the park. The point he was making is the aggressive "we don't need your help, but give us money to help us with it" mentality.

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    If it's just $6 million, that's a cute little number. I'm not necessarily in favor of public handouts to private individuals. But even if you said $60 million or $160 million I wouldn't be surprised. Even though I tend to take a liberal position on most issues, I believe that money is much safer and more useful in Gilbert hands. Those dollars will be put back into the city. The city government would otherwise squander and waste its own money. Yeah, yeah...don't bite the hand that feeds you....or wait is it the other way around. Oh yes, Gilbert's business and his employees pay taxes, and generate ancillary economic activity downtown.

Still, probably the best thing to not say anything. Spur of the moment comment maybe, but it's now in the news and that should be no surprise.

there is a difference between the city handing an investor 6 million vs. eliminating the taxes to reduce the cost by 6 million

do you know which one Gilbert is the beneficiary of?

when the taxes are reduced, a "tax subsidy" as shollin calls it, that money is money that the city never had and might never get, by reducing the taxes it encourages investment, other tax revenue will increase...

the 6 million handout is a different story, im not in favor of that kind of subsidy...

And to be clear, neither of us think the island is a "piece of shit." I've spent a lot of time on that island, stood up in weddings on that island, and we both have great admiration for the park. The point he was making is the aggressive "we don't need your help, but give us money to help us with it" mentality.
    With that, I totally agree. I'm glad you love the island, see it for what it is, and enjoy what it has to offer. It ticks me off when people post nonsense about it's condition, or foster plans for it that are obviously designed fit they're own agenda. "Evil" Snyder's DNR @ least has a track record of leaving things in their natural state, for the most part. I don't care for Mr. Kenyatta's ridiculous waterpark idea, nor do I think for a minute that it'll live up to the "pie-in-the-sky" revenue generating theme park outlined in the proposal.

My qualm is that people are firing off saying it's an issue of disrespect that the state wants to come "take" it from the city. I can't quite grasp how anyone could argue that the city has many other options for the island. I can't quite understand how anyone could argue that the city can do a better job than the state. The Berlin Berlin '44 Boat Club kind of directly disputes that point alone.

Whether people care to admit it or not, the city simply doesn't have the resources to maintain that place anymore. I spend a lot of time mountain biking in the state parks around the metro area, and I've seen how good a job the DNR does with the little resources they have. It's a risk for Detroit, sure... but is there really any other option at this point? What's the worst that could happen?

I spend a lot of time mountain biking in the state parks around the metro area, and I've seen how good a job the DNR does with the little resources they have.
    That's great, now we're going to start being friends......

What's so frustrating is this was supposed to be a no-brainer. After waiting on the bridge last June over an hour to get on the island, and another hour to get off the island TWO WEEKS AFTER THE GRAND PRIX, because the barriers still had not been removed, was what finally did it for me.

If your restrooms are portajohns in front of actual restrooms that are padlocked, it's so obvious that the basic needs cannot be met.

And remarkably, [[again), it turned into Massa Snyder trying to take over the "portajohn jewel" and remarkably [[again) Council bought into it.

Now we're stuck with closed parks, no streetlights, malfunctioning traffic lights [[the next big problem), in addition to inadequate fire and police.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2