Dan Gilbert seems to have stayed out of the political fray but the breakdown of negotiations over the status of Belle Isle has drawn him out according to this Tom Walsh Freep article.

After Quicken Loans chairman and Cleveland Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert broadcast his disappointment via Twitter on Tuesday about the Detroit City Council's inaction on the proposal to have Belle Isle run as a state park, he said, his own people at Quicken were ticked off at him and worried about making waves politically.

"I think they thought, 'Why do that? Now the council's going to be all upset,' and I said, 'Look, I'm not going to hold back my disappointment,' " Gilbert told me Wednesday after speaking to a Detroit Venture Partners conference in Detroit.

Gilbert tweeted that it was a disappointment. The tweet, sent under his handle @cavsdan, was more plaintive than angry, saying, "Det. City Council can't make easy decision turning Belle Isle into a state park. It's light years better. What is so hard?"
When Dan Gilbert talks will Council Listen? to paraphrase the old E. F. Hutton ad"

Another quote from Gilbert is also relevant.
There's a belief system -- a venom almost -- there's a whole sector of human beings who not only bitch about the way the world is, they even become more hostile if someone dares suggest an idea or thought that could make it better. I haven't figured that part of it out.