Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/20...thwest-detroit

I was on 94 on the way from A2 one night and drove into a sudden blinding fog. Horrible! It was like flying a plane in cloud. Just as I thought I could not go a mile further it broke and the lines of the road became visible. Blinding snow squalls and ice are worse.
    The same thing happened to me one day going to Ann Arbor from Detroit. One minute it was clear the next minute I couldn't see anything and my car started spinning. It finally stopped when the rear end crashed into the median. Luckily no one crashed into me. I was driving a big old 65' Pontiac Catalina. The only thing that got hurt was median...:-) Talk about your life passing before your eyes. Well it would have but I couldn't see.

Quote Originally Posted by Islandman View Post
    Hmmm, sure about that?
    http://o.canada.com/2013/01/25/photo...nt-on-the-401/

And it is not the first time this has happened on the 401. I was actually looking for the really, really bad one that happened a few years back.
    QEW 401 is like driving on the Autobahn. People routinely drive 90 mph or better.

Quote Originally Posted by MidTownMs View Post
    One minute it was clear the next minute I couldn't see anything and my car started spinning. It finally stopped when the rear end crashed into the median. Luckily no one crashed into me...
    Yes, after a bit you loose an referent - a curve could be coming or the back end of a car and your helpless. You can't even change lanes to exit. You can't really stop for fear of being rear-ended. Horrible. I just kept going ahead and then it broke just as suddenly as it had occurred.
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-31-13 at 07:46 PM.

The thing I hate the most as far as driving goes is the perceived invincibility of those "nuts" on the road.

Whoever invented the phrase "I hate bumper stickers" could easily substitute bumper stickers for tailgaters. Same diffrenz.

OK, the Brits drive on the left and the Canuckistanis drive on the right. I guess then that means the Quepequers want to drive in the middle?

The man who died in my crash was my uncle and BIG fan of this forum "leady106".

Christos: Condolences to you and your family! We are thinking of you, your uncle leady106, and all who have been affected by this tragic accident.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    Christos: Condolences to you and your family! We are thinking of you, your uncle leady106, and all who have been affected by this tragic accident.
    Christos: Thoughts and prayers to you and your family for your loss in this tragic accident.

Christos,

Thanks for bringing that news, sorry for our loss. I was blessed by the news interview with your uncle's neighbor, she gave one of the simplest and best impromptu eulogies ever. He was a fellow you'd want as a neighbor.

I'm still wondering about how deeply this accident affected me...even at the eleven o'clock newstime, I couldn't turn off the coverage. Sunday night, we drove through a continual snowstorm on the way back from Ypsilanti...and I'd just gotten home from driving ahead of this crap yesterday. It is just too close to home...too random a catastrophe.

I cannot stop feeling for those who are affected by this...those who had to stay overnight in the hospital, the Ontario parents who lost two children...all those who now have to figure out what to do for their transportation...and that one lucky fellow in the Subaru who drove through it unscathed, yet stayed to make sure those caught up in it were warmed.

Seeing how those semis wedged together, yet NONE of the car-carriers lost a single vehicle, at least makes me a bit more comfortable driving near them.

AND, for all the budget cuts and all, our first responders and HAZMAT teams really did their jobs...it was an amazing reaction to the needs in 23-degree temps, and having the whole thing cleaned up in a few hours was miraculous.

Quote Originally Posted by christos View Post
    Sorry for your loss and condolences to you and yours brother. Saw your posting on FB.

My condolences and prayers for your uncle. I'm sorry for your loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    OK, the Brits drive on the left and the Canuckistanis drive on the right. I guess then that means the Quepequers want to drive in the middle?

If you're ever up here Hermod, you'll notice zigzagging is the norm. You can probably sample some of this in Hollywood or Lauderdale as I am sure you know it is the land of french canadian expatriates and their expletives.

Also, sorry about your loss Christos.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...text|FRONTPAGE

Condolences to the family and friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Attention drivers, this is not NASCAR or INDY 500, slowdown when driving through icy or wet roads.
    I was on I-75 South of there [[luckily we took Southfield Rd to 75) and we hit a near whiteout and I was gripping the steering wheel so tight I had to convince myself to relax. Came on us, suddenly, then a mile later nothing.

What speed would you suggest is appropriate in a sudden whiteout, Danny?

Faster than the person behind you, yet slow enough to avoid the person who might be doing totally stupid stuff in front of you?!

In Phoenix they warn drivers to pull off the road, keep your foot off the brakes and turn your headlights off during sandstorms.

The idea is to prevent folks behind you from steering toward your red tail lights while they think you're still moving forward in traffic.

I haven't heard that advice given here in Michigan. Maybe it will catch on here and help avoid some of these tragedies.
    Last edited by Jimaz; February-01-13 at 11:31 PM.

If only we had a warning.

Heard the interview on WWJ 950 this morning.
    http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2013/02/...e-i-75-pileup/

Christos: Your uncle sounds like a great guy. We are so sorry for your loss.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2