Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Chicago murders

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    1/4 of the Frances Cabrini Homes were renovated. The CHA decided they would not renovate the remaining buildings.

I took this photo awhile back a year after completed renovations. I was happy to see on a return visit it still looks this good.

As for the remaining buildings those residents were evicted and the homes have been shuttered. HUD approval is currently pending to advance their demolition. Cabrini-Green is technically hyphenated for a reason. "Green Homes" referred to the towers. Frances Cabrini row homes were originally for working Italian immigrants. The area has since been re-named Parkside Oldtown and is mostly market rate....a reason for the swarm of controversy around the development.

Hopefully that clears the confusion. Cabrini Homes were not completely renovated as you state. If you drive through there the windows are plated over and they have fences around them. They just haven't gone anywhere.

At it's peak, there was approximately 15,000 residents living within Cabrini-Green housing. Today's there's around 200 public housing residents in that area.

I should have also mentioned there's been some debate as to whether the buildings should have been used to house nearly all the city's homeless. Despite their abandonment they are still serviceable. While I agree some of it should have been used to solve this problem, I don't believe in concentrated housing for the poor.
    Wow, I was at Cabrini several times during the late 80's, early 90's. That's quite an improvement.

Default Gangs

At what point does our federal government need to put its foot down and say enough is enough. We have let these groups recruit, stabilize their operations and expand their numbers. With that comes an increase in violent crimes and homicides. And it poses the biggest challenge for children who have a choice in life: gang life vs. responsible life.

This type of epidemic was not a factor many decades ago. Right? Sure you had the mobs and organized crime, but even with those groups there was limited exposure to the innocent citizens.

When is enough enough?

Instead of the war on drugs, why is there not a war on gangs? Perhaps we could rename them "domestic terrorists"?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3