Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by Knightmessenger View Post
    so the Crowley store was where the compuware parking structure is now? I had never seen pictures of it before.
    I know where Hudson's stood but what was where the Compuware building is now? The more I think about it, the more I wonder how they had the space to expand woodward to form a circle [[with Campus Martius inside) when it was previously a straight line.
    The largest building on the Compuware Building site was Kern's Department Store - which sat directly across Gratiot from Hudson's. That's why the site was always referred to as "the Kern block" during the 34 years it sat empty [[from 1966 to 2000) before Compuware was built.

Here are Kern's and the old Opera House [[by then occupied by Sam's Cut Rate) in 1950's. The fountain mentioned by Gistok was removed from Campus Martius and moved to Palmer Park in 1926 to facilitate automobile traffic.

This is towards the end of demolition of the block in 1966 [[with the also soon-to-be demolished Cadillac Square Building in the foreground). Hudson's towering to the north, Crowley's directly to the east.

The empty Kern block, as Detroiters knew it throughout the '70s, '80s, and '90s. Or nearly empty - anyone else remember the metal and canvas "tents" that sat out in the middle for several years?

Last edited by EastsideAl; February-01-13 at 01:39 AM.