Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

I got a parking ticket by Bucharest Grill at 130AM Sunday morning. Parking enforcement is working quite well and it's about the only department in the city that does well.

This is a change. You were usually good after 9 just a few years ago downtown. I pay to park in a lot now; just not worth the hassle figuring out enforcement times.

Quote Originally Posted by Islandman View Post
    I got a parking ticket by Bucharest Grill at 130AM Sunday morning. Parking enforcement is working quite well and it's about the only department in the city that does well.

This is a change. You were usually good after 9 just a few years ago downtown. I pay to park in a lot now; just not worth the hassle figuring out enforcement times.
    IMHO I think they should not charge parking on Sundays and maybe it would encourage more to visit and help support existing businesses.

Most Detroit speed limits are not in compliance with state law and are not enforceable in court. MCL 527.627 calls for specific speed limits in certain types of zones, and for speed limits using a vehicle access point formula in other zones. An alternative speed limit measure is the Uniform Traffic Code, which allows cities to conduct speed studies of actual driver speeds and set speed limits close to those limits. The city rarely follows either set of laws.

As for highways, the state maximum on a highway is 70 mph, so you can't very well defend yourself if you are driving faster than that on a highway. The state hasn't upped the city freeway limits beyond 55 mph because some of the setbacks on the turns do not meet federal highway standards associated with the 70 mph limit, and no one wants to spend billions just to widen the highways a little bit. I imagine that you could fight and win a speeding ticket on the highway if you were going 70 or less, but it would be a tough challenge.

I know all of this from experience, as I just got a speeding ticket thrown out myself.

P.S. But I think the city should make and enforce traffic laws, because this helps keep crime down generally.
    Last edited by 1953; January-28-13 at 10:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Islandman View Post

Isn't parking enforcement an outsourced service? Perhaps that is why it actually works?