Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Has the DPM ever had anywhere near 35,000 riders in a single day?
    Yeah, during the Superbowl week back in 2006, and I'm sure it gets pretty close during the auto shows. But, again, the People Mover is a small downtown circulator that has to be part of a larger system for it to ever get close to meeting its potential. It wasn't meant as a transit system unto itself. A larger system is meant to feed into it, that is to say someone coming in on rail from outlying areas, and hitting it from/transfering from whichever spoke you came in on to wherever else you needed to go downtown.

Without the regional feeder system, there was no other use for it than what it became: an elevated tourist trolly getting people from their hotels to the convention center and workers to wherever their parking lot was.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexlin View Post
    Without the regional feeder system, there was no other use for it than what it became: an elevated tourist trolly getting people from their hotels to the convention center and workers to wherever their parking lot was.
    One of the reasons why the Rosa Parks Center was put where it was is to take advantage of the people mover. I have not seen studies, but my assumption would be that many of the riders transfer buses, but not many transfer to the people mover.

This is an ugly diagram, but has there been any talk of a physical transfer station between M-1 rail and the People Mover? I hope they figure something out, it seems like it would enhance the utility of both.
    Name:  woodward.jpg
Views: 1899
Size:  48.5 KB