Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit500 View Post
    We really need to take back the route that would allow Detroit-New York. This pathetic thing where we have to be routed via bus to Toledo is appalling. Of course, AMTRAK these days is a total sham -- in most instances it's far cheaper to fly and you get there faster.
    Detroiters need to be cognizant and supportive of the Ohio Hub plan. The first phases of the plan, which are likely to receive funding considering Ohio's geographic location, include an upgrade to the Chicago-Cleveland routing, as well as the implementation of passenger service between Cleveland-Columbus-Dayton-Cincinnati for the first time since 1971.

Why is this important to Detroiters? Because subsequent phases involve a DIRECT route from Detroit-Toledo-Cleveland, via Detroit Metro Airport. Connections could be made in Cleveland for Columbus and points East. A full build-out of the network involves a line from Detroit to Columbus [[which would be *really* fun the weekend before Thanksgiving).

If I'm not mistaken, full build-out of the network would see 8-10 trains per day between Detroit and Toledo. I could check on that figure, if desired, although it's located on the website [[see link below).

It's quite an ambitious plan, really. And supporters of rail in Michigan should get their elected officials behind the Detroit-Toledo segment in particular.

www.ohiohub.com

Forgive me if this has been posted here, but are these new routes going to run on dedicated railways? Because, as has been posted here, the current Amtrak runs can be ridiculous. One time the trip to Chicago runs on time at just under 6 hours. The next time it takes 8 hours. One time the run from Chicago to Royal Oak took over 12 hours. You cannot plan a weekend trip without some semblance of keeping to a schedule. I'm not talking about accidents causing the delays, but of the Amtrak trains having to wait for other freight trains because they do not own the tracks.

I doubt it. Amtrak owns a 90 mile segment on the west side of the state [[the portion that actually allows 110 MPH trains) but the rest is still freight owned. Don't expect them to give up control to Amtrak or for Amtrak to find the funds to purchase those lines. If the state had any vision, they would have pushed money towards acquiring some of the underutilized freight lines to provide for a dedicated track for Amtrak but instead we build freeways.

I think the Englewood flyover as mentioned by Stolberg would eliminate the largest bottleneck outside of Detroit.
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...4&z=16&iwloc=A

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2