Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 18 ... LastLast

The Cardinal game points to why, IMO, Schwarz and Mayhew need to be gone. I rate them a 3.5/10 in leadership and talent acquisition. Compared to the 0/10 that was Millen, they look good, but they pale in comparison to the rest of the NFL. They did get some good foundational talent with first round picks. However, Stafford is a strong armed gunslinger who will be most effective behind an O-line that can generate a pounding smash mouth running game that tires a defense. A team like that would have ground the Cardinals down after Levy made it 21-13 and all the Cardinals could counter with was a field goal. Instead, we got a series of three and outs that left our defense tired in the heat. I think the Lions have a foundation that new management could quickly build on to produce a good team. Sadly, the Fords will probably just stand pat. Wasting the play action devastation that would result from a road grading O-line while Calvin is still in his prime is close to criminal.

I hope the team makes the playoffs this year. I may actually buy a jersey. [side note- the team really needs to diversify with the alternate color options with the hats]

Quote Originally Posted by Pickford-Bentler View Post
    The Cardinal game points to why, IMO, Schwarz and Mayhew need to be gone. I rate them a 3.5/10 in leadership and talent acquisition. Compared to the 0/10 that was Millen, they look good, but they pale in comparison to the rest of the NFL. They did get some good foundational talent with first round picks. However, Stafford is a strong armed gunslinger who will be most effective behind an O-line that can generate a pounding smash mouth running game that tires a defense. A team like that would have ground the Cardinals down after Levy made it 21-13 and all the Cardinals could counter with was a field goal. Instead, we got a series of three and outs that left our defense tired in the heat. I think the Lions have a foundation that new management could quickly build on to produce a good team. Sadly, the Fords will probably just stand pat. Wasting the play action devastation that would result from a road grading O-line while Calvin is still in his prime is close to criminal.
    What grates me the most is that the second & third round picks have pretty much petered out. It's easy when you get first dibs at guys like Stafford & Suh, but it's in the later rounds that teams are built and it just seems as though none of the other picks have had any success lingering with this team. I think that can be the basis for Mayhew to get the broom alone.

And I even have a soft spot for Schwartz because of that. Given what sort of talent he's got- which has some top notch talent, but not enough- Schwartz is set up to fail. The poor guy just can't make a good meal given the lousy ass ingredients he's been given in the cupboard.

Quote Originally Posted by smogboy View Post
    It's really making Nick Fairley look like a superstar now. I think we could really use his power and sped to clog the middle. He was really missed in the Cardinals game. I also saw that Ansah had the most reps out of all of the linemen but we still need to do better in regards to getting to the other team's QB. I know RGIII isn't the runner he was [[Washington hardly had any QB runs the last few games) but he's still got a decent cannon for an arm.

See this article on RG3?

http://www.csnwashington.com/footbal...bcs&ocid=yahoo

It might give us a chance to hope that we can beat these clowns.

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post
    What grates me the most is that the second & third round picks have pretty much petered out. It's easy when you get first dibs at guys like Stafford & Suh, but it's in the later rounds that teams are built and it just seems as though none of the other picks have had any success lingering with this team. I think that can be the basis for Mayhew to get the broom alone.

And I even have a soft spot for Schwartz because of that. Given what sort of talent he's got- which has some top notch talent, but not enough- Schwartz is set up to fail. The poor guy just can't make a good meal given the lousy ass ingredients he's been given in the cupboard.
    I kind of agree. However, in the NFL, the coach and GM get the broom together. Sadly, the Ford way is to let the GM sacrifice about five coaches to pay for his mistakes. Everybody likes to take shots at Fontes, but they never got him the "beef" he felt they needed after the double tragedy of Utley and other OL'er who got hit by a semi during the off season. I forgot his name. Those two guys were young and had pro bowl talent. If I am not mistaken, the talent that the Lions got during the early Barry era was largely the result of work done by a man who was ran off to join the Steelers. Our last pro bowl OL'er was Jeff Hartings. Millen felt he could not pay him, so he also went to the Steelers. We pay a lot od free agent money taking chances on skill positions. What if we had a couple of well paid talented free agents in the center of our OL during the second half of the Cardinal game? I think that the push would have been enough to let a running back like Bell create enough of a problem to brings the safeties up. That can create the "ice the game" play action pass that good teams seem to get in the fourth quarter of games like these. And Stafford has the arm to make that pass. Sadly, I predict Schwartz will get canned and Mayhew will pick another coach. Good coaches will not work for a team that does not get talent. That is the essence of "same old Lions".

See this article on RG3?

http://www.csnwashington.com/footbal...bcs&ocid=yahoo

It might give us a chance to hope that we can beat these clowns.
    I live in DC and, from the games I have watched, RG3 has lost the burst that enabled him to escape tackles. He also does not have the same speed to get around the corners. The Washington defense has also been terrible. This is the kind of game that a good team should win. So a Lion loss will be telling.

Good posts PB. I would add that according to tradition Mr. ford keeps the GM around a long, long time. IIRC we went from Russ Thomas to Chuck Schmidt, to Milllen and now Mayhew.

that is a pretty secure position within the organization and change only comes during times of insurrection within the fan base. After Russ just got old and confused, who comes in but that great football mind and CPA, Chuck Schmidt... Who only stayed until we lost on a last second field goal to Chicago on the last play of the 2000 Season. .... Then Millen and lost years culminating in 0-16 and people driving around with Fire Millen bumper stickers. Anyone recall the fan with the Fire Millen sign being chased around the stadium by Security? All covered live on tv?

jeeze,

Laptop in hand. Gonna watch the game and probably not going to post during the game seeing as if it gets ugly, a MacBook Pro is going to have to be removed from a very nice Samsung television. I'm hopeful though.

And if we lose, I'm going to need consoling and probably a new laptop.

First half rant. I’ve been good and staying off of this site until I need to say something. The game started off for crap. Stafford getting picked and sacked early on didn’t make me feel good about this game. But then the Washington team [[I sure as hell hate their mascot name) became the Lions of old and got penalized to preserve our drives. Joique Bell looks like a monster out there catching the ball and rumbling up the gut. He seems to be carrying the defenders with him with every rush; what they say about Washington tackling is spot-on. After that first touch, the Lions offense seems to have settled into a nice rhythm and don’t seem to be afraid to stretch the field now. The offensive line seems to be holding up against the numerous blitz packages. Calvin’s playing like a men amongst fish out there; I wouldn’t mind seeing more hot reads to him and shutting up DeAngelo Hall.

Griffin III definitely isn’t the running threat he once was, but Detroit still needs to put heat on him. We need to stiffen it up a little bit more against the likes of Morris; Levy needs to be a hammer again. We can’t have Morris going wide to the outside and scampering against our CBs. Glover Quin seems to be earning his keep as I keep hearing his name today but I’d prefer to hear the Washington punter’s name being called to action more with three and outs.

Alright no more until after the game. Someone get me some Alka Seltzer as I digest the second half of this game. A three point lead isn't bad and I'd like to think we can still do better in the second half.

First half rant. I’ve been good and staying off of this site until I need to say something. The game started off for crap. Stafford getting picked and sacked early on didn’t make me feel good about this game. But then the Washington team [[I sure as hell hate their mascot name) became the Lions of old and got penalized to preserve our drives. Joique Bell looks like a monster out there catching the ball and rumbling up the gut. He seems to be carrying the defenders with him with every rush; what they say about Washington tackling is spot-on. After that first touch, the Lions offense seems to have settled into a nice rhythm and don’t seem to be afraid to stretch the field now. The offensive line seems to be holding up against the numerous blitz packages. Calvin’s playing like a men amongst fish out there; I wouldn’t mind seeing more hot reads to him and shutting up DeAngelo Hall.

Griffin III definitely isn’t the running threat he once was, but Detroit still needs to put heat on him. We need to stiffen it up a little bit more against the likes of Morris; Levy needs to be a hammer again. We can’t have Morris going wide to the outside and scampering against our CBs. Glover Quin seems to be earning his keep as I keep hearing his name today but I’d prefer to hear the Washington punter’s name being called to action more with three and outs.

Alright no more until after the game. Someone get me some Alka Seltzer as I digest the second half of this game. A three point lead isn't bad and I'd like to think we can still do better in the second half.
    Thruster forget the Alka Seltzer and hope that as Drew Sharp said that the Lions aren't Tylenol to the opposing team, as in take two and it will cure what ails you.

The hex on winning in Washington has ended after 0-21 over the dismal years.

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    Thruster forget the Alka Seltzer and hope that as Drew Sharp said that the Lions aren't Tylenol to the opposing team, as in take two and it will cure what ails you.
    I never trust anything Drew Sharp says. That man is an ass who will say anything to get a rise out of fans and stir the pot. I'm glad Terry Foster bitch slapped him in that video and predicted/ guaranteed a Lions victory today.

Detroit has waited to beat the Redskins in D.C. since 1935.

And before I forget because I know it's going to come up in the penalty stat sheet- how the hell did Mathis get a penalty for thumping a defenseless receiver on that one play? HOW?? From what I saw, RG3 tosses the ball to the receiver, receiver gets his hands on the ball and what's Mathis supposed to do? Wait for him to get burned? He's supposed to bring the hammer, isn't he?

I'm still flummoxed over this one. I need a calmer eye to look at that play and explain it to me.

And before I forget because I know it's going to come up in the penalty stat sheet- how the hell did Mathis get a penalty for thumping a defenseless receiver on that one play? HOW?? From what I saw, RG3 tosses the ball to the receiver, receiver gets his hands on the ball and what's Mathis supposed to do? Wait for him to get burned? He's supposed to bring the hammer, isn't he?

I'm still flummoxed over this one. I need a calmer eye to look at that play and explain it to me.
    I don't know either what was Mathis suppose to do, in listening to the announcer he stated that call is being made every week but he didn't agree with it. Speaking of penalties the Lions stopped the dumb a** penalties which went a long way to helping them win the game

I don't know either what was Mathis suppose to do, in listening to the announcer he stated that call is being made every week but he didn't agree with it. Speaking of penalties the Lions stopped the dumb a** penalties which went a long way to helping them win the game
    My initial thought was that it seemed as though Washington swapped places with our Lions this week. They had all of the stupid penalties that stalled drives and self destructed. The one play where Griffin III fumbled the ball without being touched was huge as was the incomplete pass that was a touchdown was just as equally deflating for them.

I wouldn't say Detroit outplayed the Redskins but we seemed to make less bone headed plays than the other team- and sometimes that's how teams win in the NFL. Every team is going to get tagged for penalties- but the timeliness of them can be devastating. For whatever reason the football gods looked favorably upon our team this week and we came out victorious.

It was baffling and Ronde Barber even agreed with you. Mathis seemed to go shoulder pad to shoulder pad. i didn't see any helmet-to-helmet contact nor anything horribly violent or offensive.

I am watching the Colts grind the 49's into powder. Anyhow, the analysts in this game state that the NFL has figured how to defend the read option. I have noticed that the Colt defense was moving around players in a similar manner to what the Lions were doing. Clutch TD pass by Stafford to create enough margin for the win. One needs a strong arm to make that throw. Lions are doing well with players not drafted in Bell, Fauria and Waddle {expect him to make a presence as the season goes on}. Rieff had a good block on the Stafford 4th and 1 sneak. Ansah contained and got some sacks. Suh was very disruptive. So there is hope.

If I had to pick a QB to thread the needle, it would be Stafford

After watching at least parts of four or so games today it looks to me like the officiating crews are under pressure to call more penalties on quarterback hits, defenseless receiver hits etc. I saw a large number of calls in all the games that were questionable, or at least would have been questionable even last season.
    I understand that a number of people have received a lot of injuries over the years, but it is football. I think more players are learning to throw their head back when hit high with shoulder pad contact and draw a flag. Maybe they've been watching a lot of soccer and taking notes.

Also B Pettigrew while playing today didn't catch a pass. He was used mostly as a blocker. I know he does that well but you don't waste a first round draft pick on a blocking TE. He's in a contract year and I think he is what he is, so I would let him walk after this season.

We are gonna need to amp up our play if we hope to defeat the Bears next weekend at home. The Bears chewed through The Steelers and the rookie laden oline for Chicago was a big part of the reason why. Culter actually had time to fire up a bong and wait for his pass receivers to open up.

Oh, not only didn't petitgrew catch a pass,he wasn't targeted at all.

Good. Mr Sloppy needs to go away by the trade deadline.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    We are gonna need to amp up our play if we hope to defeat the Bears next weekend at home. The Bears chewed through The Steelers and the rookie laden oline for Chicago was a big part of the reason why. Culter actually had time to fire up a bong and wait for his pass receivers to open up.

Oh, not only didn't petitgrew catch a pass,he wasn't targeted at all.

Good. Mr Sloppy needs to go away by the trade deadline.
    I saw a chunk of that game and hell if Chicago doesn't look impressive as hell. Damn. So your turban is cooking with propane again, gnome- we're going to have to play our collective asses off to beat them. I'm hoping that with Reggie back and the home field advantage, we can put some scare into the Bears. Suh needs to get re-acquainted with his rag doll buddy Cutler again; albeit penalty free.

Pettigrew not catching a ball? I'm okay with that as long as he blocks like an All-Pro. He doesn't need to be targeted. He needs to earn that and quite frankly- he hasn't. Trust is earned. Maybe he's like Kalimba Edwards- practices and looks like a champ but plays like a chump.

One guy who hasn't gotten the praise he deserves is Rieff. That guy's been pretty good watching Matty Stafford's back. Another unsung here call out also goes out to Nate Burleson; he was a beast out there and even beat Calvin by a yard in the final totals. And someone help me with this one- does Jim Schwartz deserves some little bit of credit [[he gets a shitload of the blame when they lose) for being somewhat aggressive with the game plan for once?

Looking forward to next weeks Game...It will be a true test of where the Lions are heading this year...Liked the game plan, Bell had a strong game...Backfield combo of Bush & Bell looks good...Nate had his best game yesterday....Hoping the future is Bright!!!!...Whaler

Also B Pettigrew while playing today didn't catch a pass. He was used mostly as a blocker. I know he does that well but you don't waste a first round draft pick on a blocking TE. He's in a contract year and I think he is what he is, so I would let him walk after this season.
    The tight end the Lions drafted this year and put on IR is a blocking machine. So a combination of Fauria and this guy could make both Pettigrew and Sheffler cut or trade bait next year.

Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 18 ... LastLast