Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Again, while the Lions control they're destiny and should win most of they're remaining games, they can't overlook anyone including the Tampa Bay Bucs who haven't won a game. I bet Indianapolis thought they were going to beat the Rams and got smoked, and Jacksonville beat the Titans for they're first win. At Pittsburgh next week won't be easy either, no matter how bad they were early in the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Again, while the Lions control they're destiny and should win most of they're remaining games, they can't overlook anyone including the Tampa Bay Bucs who haven't won a game. I bet Indianapolis thought they were going to beat the Rams and got smoked, and Jacksonville beat the Titans for they're first win. At Pittsburgh next week won't be easy either, no matter how bad they were early in the season.
    Like they've always said- on any given week one can have their ass served to them. It's not like the guys on the opposite side of the ball don't have some professionalism or some sense of pride. Hell, the fact that Jacksonville- the one team that I thought was going to join us in the 0-16 club, beat a Titans team says it all.

Like smoggy says- it's up to Schwartz to keep the team focused on the next team on the schedule. If we suddenly start looking towards late December, we'll suck ass and revert to being dopes again. Take no NFL team for granted.

And with Pittsburgh, it's still a road game. It's not the creature comforts of Ford Field. There's something to be said for home cooking.

I know I know... game over already. We should be talking about this team prepping for Pittsburgh coming up, but I couldn't help but try to be somewhat balanced here.

Remember all of those weeks when Brandon Pettigrew couldn't catch a cold in sub-arctic weather? Well I have to give it up. He's been pretty damn solid the last few games. He blocks well [[always has, but then how much cred do those guys get for that? Not much.) but the last few games, I think he's heard us rant about him here [[yeah, right) and has taken it to heart. He's been clutch when his number's been called upon. So I doff my slightly tattered Lions cap to Brandon Pettigrew for being a stud again.

And while I'm dishing out the luv butter, the offensive line definitely deserves a few pats for their accomplishments this year. Whoda thunk that they'd do as good as they have; we all thought they'd be the weak link on the team.

Shows how bright we are. But hell, prove me wrong like that week after week and I'll be a happy camper.

Quote Originally Posted by smogboy View Post
    So as it stands, the DetroitYes Mighty Lions Pre-season predictions:

Gnome: 9-7
    GOAT: 7-9
    rb336: 11-5
    Downriviera: 10-6
    firstandten: 7-9
    thruster315: 9-7
    7miledog: 12-4
    jefferson78: 6-10
    Gushi1124: 11-5
    smogboy: 8-8
    And just as a reminder of where our heads were at about ten weeks ago.

Unlike times past, the Lions have the Waddle-Warford Wall to pound on the opposing defense when the weather gets bad. They also are tending to stop the run on the defensive side of the ball. All that adds up to being able to stay in a game where the weather defeats a precision passing attack. And if they are indoors, they have the QB and End to light up the scoreboard. All in all, this a one of the more balanced Lion teams in decades.

I picked anywhere from six to eight wins based on, among many things, a revamped OL. The "revamped" line is an upgrade in every position. Peterman was a 0/10 right guard wherein Warford is already rated number 3 in the NFC. Reiff is a bit better than Backus. IMO, Waddle is as good as Cherlious with a way higher upside. That adds up to wins.

WeatherUnderground wunderground.com is predicting an 80% chance of rain and temps in the low 60s. Don't think we've played in those conditions this year.

lions are 2 1/2 point favorites with an over/under set at 47 1/2.

If heavy rain curtails the Johnson/Stafford connection it will come down to their rookie back Laveon Bell [[msu grad) vs Reggie Bush and The Belldozer Joique Bell.

in a rushing v rushing contest we look better, but in a low scoring slugfest those 2 1/2 points loom large.

they will be starting two rookie linebackers as Larry Foote is out with a bicep tear. Their dinged up o-line is a sieve and match that with Big Ben's penchant for pocket jumping, expect to see upwards of 8 to 10 sacks today.

i feel the outcome is coming down to whose tight end is better.

It depends if you believe in Pettigrew or not. True, his performance has improved since the first part of the season, but I do not trust him.

pittsburgh to cover. Picking the under.

Gnome! Nice to see you back ranting and raving. Good to see the internet demons haven't swayed you.

Alrighty, rant time- was that about the worst first quarter or what? Matt Stafford’s just over throwing the snot out of that ball. It’s crappy weather and the field looks like oatmeal, but are we just trying to do too much early on? Let’s calm this down and march down the field a little more methodically. Defensively you’d think the Steelers were sprayed down with WD40; we can’t tackle to save our lives. And why can’t we put any sort of pressure on Big Ben? Is it time to bring a linebacker or safety in to blitz from time to time?

Let’s not forget it’s four quarters of football. We don’t need too much excitement early and try to win it with one toss. Hell, even the Akers kick was a heart stopper when it pinged off the post. Be methodical, execute and make this a closer game.

Reggie, do you need to take some Adrian Peterson lessons on how to hang onto the ball? Damn- let’s not give it up so easily. Baby doll, we love your explosiveness, quick moves, and even fashion sense- but if you don’t hang onto the rock- I say we go with Bell as our feature back. He's been about as steady as they come and heady too.

It was nice to see Stafford hooking up with Calvin [[always will be) and hopefully that’ll keep Pittsburgh honest and maybe the offense can get into sync now.

For all of the fireworks that Pittsburgh tossed at us, the score isn’t that bad. We got popped in the lip and have actually fought back. We’re actually her lead! Whoda thunk it? Maybe Pittsburgh is going to play as badly as their record indicates and Detroit plays better? Let’s see! This could be a huge leap in our confidence and execution if we can finish them off.

Let's come back in the second half and continue kicking ass. Execute. Play smart. Get what's given to us. And let's see if we can walk out of there with a W under our belts.

Those Killer Bee uniforms are hideous.

Jim Schwartz needs his _ss kicked. Going for it on 4th down instead of kicking the FG was idiotic. We'll never know how the game would turn out with a 30-23 lead, and sure enough Pittsburgh drives down the field and scores a TD. Changed the outcome of the game. SOL, they can't handle prosperity and lose 37-27.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; November-17-13 at 04:39 PM.

Jim Schwartz needs his _ss kicked. Going for it on 4th down instead of kicking the FG was idiotic. Changed the outcome of the game. SOL, they can't handle prosperity.
    Easy now. The play actually worked in the sense it caught Pittsburgh off guard. Martin actually did get the yardage for the first down. I can't blame Schwartzy for being ballsy and making the call- but there has to be some culpability [[and blame, if you want to go there) on Martin for not securing the ball.
    Last edited by Thruster315; November-17-13 at 04:38 PM.

Jim Schwartz needs his _ss kicked. Going for it on 4th down instead of kicking the FG was idiotic. Changed the outcome of the game. SOL, they can't handle prosperity.
    Agreed, but fact is the play worked except for the fact the rook fumbled. How can you not wrap up the ball once you have the 1st down and the tackle is coming? Every defender is trying to strip the ball nowadays.

I'm wondering whether I need to be a little more fiery after my halftime rant.

The Lions had a second quarter of all second quarters. And then someone forgot to tell them they still had another half to play. The execution just wasn't there. There were enough dropped balls to shake several sticks at.

Defensively we hung in there but they just kept knocking and wearing us down. it was a war of the wills and we fell short.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Agreed, but fact is the play worked except for the fact the rook fumbled. How can you not wrap up the ball once you have the 1st down and the tackle is coming? Every defender is trying to strip the ball nowadays.
    Amen brother. That's what I called too. If anything I give Jim Schwartz props for having the iron clad clock weights for trying something like that. Did any of us see it coming? Hell no.

If Martin hung onto the ball, Schwartz would've been lauded as a hero for making the call. Let's not look back with that crystal clear 20/20 hindsight and lambast what was the right call- with lousy execution on the player's part now.

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post
    Easy now. The play actually worked in the sense it caught Pittsburgh off guard. Martin actually did get the yardage for the first down. I can't blame Schwartzy for being ballsy and making the call- but there has to be some culpability [[and blame, if you want to go there) on Martin for not securing the ball.
    If the play worked, we wouldn't be talking about a Lions loss. It didn't work. You take the points and trust your defense to hold. Even the talking heads on NFL on Fox questioned the call with the lead.

I'm wondering whether I need to be a little more fiery after my halftime rant.

The Lions had a second quarter of all second quarters. And then someone forgot to tell them they still had another half to play. The execution just wasn't there. There were enough dropped balls to shake several sticks at.

Defensively we hung in there but they just kept knocking and wearing us down. it was a war of the wills and we fell short.
    And the fact that they didn't target Megatron in the second half. He was shutout after 179 receiving yards in the first half. Another loss that very well could come back and haunt them for a playoff berth.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; November-17-13 at 04:50 PM.

If the play worked, we wouldn't be talking about a Lions loss. It didn't work. You take the points and trust your defense to hold. Even the talking heads on NFL on Fox questioned the call with the lead.
    But how do you go and blame that one call on Jim Schwartz?

There has to be some accountability on the players to make the calls that the coach calls out. If it was a strategic thing or a bad management call on the Schwartz, I'd have no problem blasting him on this. I don't think this was one of those incidents. All too often we think that this team lacks balls and creativity.

This wasn't one of those calls.

And the fact that they didn't target Megatron in the second half. He was shutout after 179 receiving yards in the first half. Another loss that very well could come back and haunt them for a playoff berth.
    They did target Calvin- and had it picked off. I'd also like to pony up some credit to the Steelers for adjusting after the second quarter and shutting down Calvin. Here in Detroit, we'd like to think of Calvin as being invincible, but y'know what- Minnesota thinks Peterson is a god too, in Pittsburgh Big Ben is QB supreme, etc. Every team thinks they have the do-all, end-all player and it's not like Calvin isn't the top receiver in the NFL but even he can get shut down too.

I'd question the other receivers for their dropped passes more so than the lack of targeting to Calvin.

A huge part of why Calvin Johnson was pretty much nullified in the second half was that Ike Taylor had some over the top help from Pro Bowl safety Ryan Clark and underneath help from Pro Bowl linebacker Troy Polamalu. That second quarter, the Steelers were burned when they went one-on-one with Calvin Johnson and Stafford made the right read.

That trio has also shut down the likes of the Bengals' 1AJ Green, the Bears' Brandon Marshall and the Ravens' Torrey Smith, so it's not that far of a reach that the Steelers found a way to adjust. Dick LeBeau is a pretty sharp cookie when it comes to his defensive adjustments.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    I don't exactly disagree with the call BUT how would people have felt if this was Shaun Hill, a veteran running with the ball instead of a rookie punter/ kicker who probably doesn't handle running with the ball that much?

But how do you go and blame that one call on Jim Schwartz?

There has to be some accountability on the players to make the calls that the coach calls out. If it was a strategic thing or a bad management call on the Schwartz, I'd have no problem blasting him on this. I don't think this was one of those incidents. All too often we think that this team lacks balls and creativity.

This wasn't one of those calls.
    If it was or wasn't Schwartz or Linehan, I understand you have to be aggressive in play calling sometimes. But you had the lead and I question not just kicking the FG and she what happens next.

What happens next is the Steelers get the ball and go down and score tying the game. Then they get the ball back and score again. I don't think the call made a big difference. Our defense not being able to get a stop was the difference. And our offense not being able to respond to the Steelers adjustments on D. I have no problem with the call but I have a big problem with the execution of it. Did they even practice this? It looked like Martin nerver ran with a football in his life.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    What happens next is the Steelers get the ball and go down and score tying the game. Then they get the ball back and score again. I don't think the call made a big difference. Our defense not being able to get a stop was the difference. And our offense not being able to respond to the Steelers adjustments on D. I have no problem with the call but I have a big problem with the execution of it. Did they even practice this? It looked like Martin nerver ran with a football in his life.
    If they kicked the FG, maybe they get a 3 and out or a turnover. At least they could have forced them to tie instead of taking the lead. It's something we'll never know. They had the lead, you're always suppose to take the points. It's not like they were playing from behind, If they were I could see calling a play like that. Hey, I'm venting and it's just my opinion. Now they have to win vs Tampa Bay next week who all of a sudden have won 2 straight, it's a game they should win, but there are no gimmes in the NFL. Plus they are in a bottleneck with other teams who are 6-4, Niners, Cardinals [[who beat them), Bears, [[whom they own the tiebreaker) and Panthers. I want them to make the playoffs, but they make it tough on themselves.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; November-18-13 at 09:44 AM.

The fake field goal was stupid, the collapse of the defense was embarrassing.

schwartz's hyper-defensive reaction to questions is very strange and makes me question his intelligence and maturity.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    The fake field goal was stupid, the collapse of the defense was embarrassing.

schwartz's hyper-defensive reaction to questions is very strange and makes me question his intelligence and maturity.
    Schwartz' hot headedness is becoming a bit of a distraction. I don't want to brow beat the poor guy because he's got decisions to make on every play at every juncture of the game, but he really needs to check that temper. He very well could've defended his decision by admitting to making it. I respect his right to make the call. None of us have to agree with it, but when questioned about it- just own it. It didn't work.

Lead this team by making smart, calm, cool and educated decisions. I think we fans can forgive him for taking a shot with a trick play- but don't be a prick afterwards. He keeps this hot headed tantrum tossing up and the players might revolt on him before us fans do.

Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast