Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 20 ... LastLast

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  25.6 KB

what an infantile pic, but can you not laugh

Nicely done by our boys in Honolulu Blue & Silver!

No time for a long-winded diatribe here but what impressed me to no end with this game was:

1) The Detroit Lions defense played strong and disciplined. Suh & Fairley were truly disruptive.
    2) Delmas and Quin were ball hawks and their interceptions were key to turning the momentum. Brandon Marshall did not catch a ton of passes that hurt us.
    3) The linebackers were not singed by Matt Forte.
    4) Matt Stafford was not sharp for most of the game but still managed the ball well. One of his interceptions bounced off of Calvins Johnson’s leg; that’s just bad luck on a bad throw.
    4) Reggie Bush can still shake and bake. I think he put the fear into the Bears linebackers.
    5) Nice to see Brandon Pettigrew not drop a ton of balls at key moments. It was a good game for him.
    6) The team hardly had any penalties. The yellow penalty flag wasn’t tossed too many times in our direction until the very end of the game when it was pretty much in the can.
    7) We kept Chicago’s third down conversion rate abysmal. Again, kudos to the defense.
    8) Nick Fairley’s belly bump is a weapon of mass destruction.
    9) David Akers was good as was most of the Special Teams players. No glaring mistakes and the field position was good for one. Martin was solid and Hester never had a chance to scorch us.
    10) The offensive line was impressive again. Riley Reiff finally got beat by Peppers but losing out to a guy like him is by no means shameful. Some might even argue that Stafford hung onto the ball too long on that play.

It’s a nice feeling to savor for awhile. It doesn’t get any easier knowing we have to go to Lambeau next week but I hope this proves to the players themselves that they do have talent and if they play penalty free, they can be dominant. They never seemed to panic and maybe that’s a part of the coaching preparation so maybe some kudos goes out to Schwartz, Linehan and Cunningham. There was no second half collapse and the team stayed the course very well.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  25.6 KB

what an infantile pic, but can you not laugh
    And if I said it was as funny as sh!t would that be just as infantile??

Hey Roger Goodell or any of the big chiefs of discipline in the NFL- did any of you guys see that shot that Durham took on the onsides kick? Here he is leaping up, grabbing the football and doing his best Claude Lemieux [[sorry about the cross sport hockey analogy) with the football only to have some d-bag Bear [[Jon Bostic) spearing him in the back? WTF was that?

A few of the Lions took umbrage to it and there was no flag tossed but I think it's cheap. Durham made no attempt to advance the ball. He was practically in a fetal position and got popped for it.

In this day and age when the NFL is tossing around fines for cheap shots, I'd like to see Mister Bostic pony up a few of his hard earned bucks for his reckless play. There was absolutely no need for it. For once, let's let the other team get the knucklehead penalty award.

Glad to see the Lions did well, the Tigers on the other hand.....

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post
    Hey Roger Goodell or any of the big chiefs of discipline in the NFL- did any of you guys see that shot that Durham took on the onsides kick? Here he is leaping up, grabbing the football and doing his best Claude Lemieux [[sorry about the cross sport hockey analogy) with the football only to have some d-bag Bear [[Jon Bostic) spearing him in the back? WTF was that?

A few of the Lions took umbrage to it and there was no flag tossed but I think it's cheap. Durham made no attempt to advance the ball. He was practically in a fetal position and got popped for it.

In this day and age when the NFL is tossing around fines for cheap shots, I'd like to see Mister Bostic pony up a few of his hard earned bucks for his reckless play. There was absolutely no need for it. For once, let's let the other team get the knucklehead penalty award.
    Obviously Jim Schwartz agrees with you:
    http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf...schwar_81.html

I was concerned that the O-line would be a problem this year. So far, IMO, the pass blocking is the same; and Warford and Rief make the run game better. The Lions may have a gem with Warford. Suh seems to have matured and is now a disruptive force that either makes plays of lets others make them. Keep gelling and the Lions may have something going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Pickford-Bentler View Post
    I was concerned that the O-line would be a problem this year. So far, IMO, the pass blocking is the same; and Warford and Rief make the run game better. The Lions may have a gem with Warford. Suh seems to have matured and is now a disruptive force that either makes plays of lets others make them. Keep gelling and the Lions may have something going forward.
    One of the most telling tales as far as how effective the offensive line was how they gashed the Chicago defense for 16 plays that netted more than 10 yards. They also kept Stafford pretty vertical for the most part too. There was only one sack [[Peppers) and only QB hit.

It definitely didn't hurt our chances this game when our average starting position was on our 43 yard line as well. We had the Bears back on their heels all game long with our thorough mixing of the plays. This offensive line doesn't seem to be afraid to make a run block any more. In years past, all we could do was pass protect but this year's personnel seems equally suited to doing a little more now.

3 for 25. That is the stat that holds the most promise, and could cause the most aggravation, this season.

the stat represents penalties. 3 for 25 puts us tied for the 22nd spot on the nFL this yr and in a tie with Carolina and New England.

Were we the Bizarro-Lions playing the Bears yesterday?

We did everything backwards from last year...

We couldn't run the ball last year and yesterday Reggie Bush scampers all over the Bears for 139 yards.

All we could do was throw to Calvin Johnson last year to move the ball. Pettigrew, Durham, Bush, Bell and even Scheffler were in the mix.

We kept on taking stupid ass ill timed penalties last year. And like gnome pointed out- an amazing 3 for 25.

Our Special Teams last year looked more like Special Olympics. Now Spurlock breaks their back with some pretty nice returns.

Our offense line couldn't run block last year. Now they make Reggie Bush look like the second coming of Barry.

Defensive touchdowns and interceptions were about as rare as unicorn meat last year. Fairley rumbles in for a TD, Delmas picks two and Quin nearly gets a Pick 6.

Our linebackers last year couldn't spell QB if you spotted them the Q and the B. And yesterday Tulloch and Levy play like fiends!

Last year the team faded like my dad's hairline in the second half and hell if this team didn't seem to play harder in this game.

So I ask you, did this team do a complete Bizarro turn from all of those lousy things we couldn't do last year with this one game? It's only one game but hell, keep this up and you'll have more people jumping back on the bandwagon in no time. There's some glimpses- damn those tantalizing glimpses of what this team can and should be. What a tease this could be and what a revelation if this team really realizes it can be pretty good.

Yes, yes and yes. The thing we haven't realized yet is that is exactly the kind of thing that happens in Bizarro-World. Almost perfect playing is the whetting of the appetite for victory starved Detroit fans.

It is called the Double-Secret-Reverse-Bizarro-Polooza. A seldom used term reserved for Lions Fans. You will find examples aplenty littered throughout Lions history. It is the nectar that sustains in times of drought. The memory of this game will carry use through the Desert of Frustration.

However, this is the reverse-swirl part: the sweetness turns bitter when Gosderittis infects the entire team and we are caught holding on first and ten from the seven, or jumping on third and half-a-foot from our thirty.

Knowing we don't have to make mind-numbing mistakes will make them more mind-numbing when they happen.

Quote Originally Posted by smogboy View Post
    One of the most telling tales as far as how effective the offensive line was how they gashed the Chicago defense for 16 plays that netted more than 10 yards. They also kept Stafford pretty vertical for the most part too. There was only one sack [[Peppers) and only QB hit.

It definitely didn't hurt our chances this game when our average starting position was on our 43 yard line as well. We had the Bears back on their heels all game long with our thorough mixing of the plays. This offensive line doesn't seem to be afraid to make a run block any more. In years past, all we could do was pass protect but this year's personnel seems equally suited to doing a little more now.
    Maybe this is why Stafford appears off on some of his throws. He was used to having to adjust his arm angle to avoid Peterman's ass being pushed into him by a bull rushing defensive tackle {or was that a safety?}. Now, he can step and follow through. And being able to knock those tackles about running up the gut makes Defensive takcles take a powder and not bull rush during passing downs.

Quote Originally Posted by smogboy View Post

It’s a nice feeling to savor for awhile. It doesn’t get any easier knowing we have to go to Lambeau next week but I hope this proves to the players themselves that they do have talent and if they play penalty free, they can be dominant. They never seemed to panic and maybe that’s a part of the coaching preparation so maybe some kudos goes out to Schwartz, Linehan and Cunningham. There was no second half collapse and the team stayed the course very well.
    Don't get me wrong, the Packers are still the Packers, but from what I've seen - a weak O line that has yet to face a force anywhere near as good as Detroit's D line, a secondary that looks pretty bad. A one-dimensional attack. If there was ever a year for Detroit to win at Lambeau, this is it

Quote Originally Posted by Pickford-Bentler View Post
    Maybe this is why Stafford appears off on some of his throws. He was used to having to adjust his arm angle to avoid Peterman's ass being pushed into him by a bull rushing defensive tackle {or was that a safety?}. Now, he can step and follow through. And being able to knock those tackles about running up the gut makes Defensive takcles take a powder and not bull rush during passing downs.
    Stafford just seemed jumpy and over threw several of his receivers yesterday. But I don't have a problem with Stafford's supposed mechanical issues of throwing sidearm, flicking it out there or even off of the wrong foot. Brett Favre made a career of improvising and I think Stafford's actually got the arm strength to do some of those offbeat throws too.

When Stafford wins, no one notices those throwing issues too much but when we lose, we're quick to pull the trigger and trying to find out why Stafford's off.

Yes, yes and yes. The thing we haven't realized yet is that is exactly the kind of thing that happens in Bizarro-World. Almost perfect playing is the whetting of the appetite for victory starved Detroit fans.

It is called the Double-Secret-Reverse-Bizarro-Polooza. A seldom used term reserved for Lions Fans. You will find examples aplenty littered throughout Lions history. It is the nectar that sustains in times of drought. The memory of this game will carry use through the Desert of Frustration.

However, this is the reverse-swirl part: the sweetness turns bitter when Gosderittis infects the entire team and we are caught holding on first and ten from the seven, or jumping on third and half-a-foot from our thirty.

Knowing we don't have to make mind-numbing mistakes will make them more mind-numbing when they happen.
    Dammit, gnome. I'm going to bust out the abacus and dry erase board just to figure out your Lions math here. And even with that I might need a few hours on a therapist's couch just to wade through all of the emotions that this team puts me through.

He absolutely deserves to get shredded when he screw up royally but let's also be fair- when Brandon Pettigrew has a good game, he deserves a moment of praise.

[[pause)

Okay, let's move on now and string several more games together like that last one. I'm so demanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post
    Stafford just seemed jumpy and over threw several of his receivers yesterday. But I don't have a problem with Stafford's supposed mechanical issues of throwing sidearm, flicking it out there or even off of the wrong foot. Brett Favre made a career of improvising and I think Stafford's actually got the arm strength to do some of those offbeat throws too.

When Stafford wins, no one notices those throwing issues too much but when we lose, we're quick to pull the trigger and trying to find out why Stafford's off.
    I have no problem with it either. He is not that mobile. So the side sling is a way to make up for not being great at side stepping. When he needs to step into one and drill it, he does. I mean that TD pass to Johnson to ice the Washington game was a laser beam. I don't ever think he will be Mr. 100% consistent, so a punishing O-line is needed to get the best out of him. I have read that Waddle is a good run blocker. So his development could make for a bright future.

Just an observation: not having a separate Sports heading has cut down on meaningful discussion.

GB has had a week of rest, that proves the difference and the streak continues 34-28 Packers.

I agree, this needs to go back under sports heading.

But I think the week off hurts the Pack and the streak ends 28-24 Lions.

Just an observation: not having a separate Sports heading has cut down on meaningful discussion.

GB has had a week of rest, that proves the difference and the streak continues 34-28 Packers.
    Not that I would ever doubt your profound pre-game predictions but the fact that Calvin Johnson won't be playing today might also add to the notion that the Lions are without their best offensive threat now.

Losing Nate Burleson a few weeks back hurt the team but others stepped up and filled the void. Replacing a commodity like Calvin Johnson doesn't happen easily. The Lions will have their hands full today.

And forgive me [[and I hope you will) but I hope your prediction is wrong- coming from an overly optimistic Lions fan today.

That's bad news, for sure. Calvin may have an issue that needs surgical correction. It will test the mettle of the team, the coach and GM.

Alrighty...First half rant. The gods are conspiring against us by taking Calvin away from us just before the game [[and before I could adjust my Fantasy team… sonuva…!). What I see is the biggest difference between quarterbacks and what Matthew Stafford needs to do in order to take his game to the next level. Rodgers is owning his offense and running it like a boss. Stafford seems tentative comparatively and hasn’t been sharp. I’m not saying that he can’t step into that role but seeing how Aaron Rodgers runs the Packer offense is a work of art despite having some lesser tools.

The defense seems pretty stout right now. They’ve pressured Rodgers and have done well with the run. DeAndre Levy has been a monster.

Offensively we need to be able to move the ball. Bush is clogged with his cuts at the line although Bell seems to have had some luck with the two back sets. Even some of the swing routes to Bush haven’t been too effective for big gains. But I do like the commitment to still run the ball; gash them a few times and it’d give the Packers something to think about.

I know this might sound like I’ve peeled off a chunk of gnome’s turban, rolled it up and smoking it but it might be time to start looking to Pettigrew. Stafford did well going to him last week and might need to get back into that groove.

Penalties? We just need to get back to what we did last week and be smart about it; when we stop self destructing I think we might be okay. Close game despite all of the missteps. The kickers are earning their keep.

20-7 Saints over the Bears at the half too- so our Lions COULD be in sole possession of first place if they pull through and the Saints do us the favor or dismantling da Bears.

And gnome- peel me off another hunk of that turban for my pipe. I'm feeling lucky.

It took long enough; mercifully that game is in the bag and we can skulk away from Lambeau unfulfilled once more.

I would have to agree with thruster that the first half was manageable. The Lions kept it close and was actually pretty good in keeping Rodgers & Company out of the end zone. But that being said, our offense went into anemia mode and we couldn’t break the Green Bay defense’s back with anything. We tried to run with Reggie and got stopped. Matt Stafford seemed ham strung without Calvin Johnson there to spell him.

Defensively the front four played well; they kept Rodgers moving but then he’s an elite quarterback and can still make things happen. We only sacked him once but we kept their running game in check. One subtle thing that I’ve noticed with this year’s Detroit defense is that they seem to tackle that much better. Once they make contact, they wrap the player up and down they go. The turnstile arm tackling seems to have disappeared. I know that Chris Houston was playing hurt but he was schooled several times but I also wonder if he played that way because he was expecting some deep cover help from Delmas. I’m surprised that Rodgers didn’t go after Slay or Mathis more; could that be because Quin is helping out on that side of the field?

On the offensive side of the ball, it truly was offensive. Riley Reiff looked awfully human and Jason Fox was a half step behind at times. Stafford got touched up a full five times today. I understand some of those were coverage sacks but the offensive line needed to do a much much better job of keeping our QB clean. I wondered why we didn’t do more quick hits to the tight ends or swinging Reggie out to the flats more. I know this team wants to extend the vertical attack more but we should also be opportunistic and take what the defense will give us as well. Quick hits will also keep the defensive line honest too and I always thought Stafford’s quick release was his best protection from his lack of mobility.

The best aspect of today’s game was probably Sam Martin and his booming punts. He gave us some nice field position but we also needed to capitalize once we’re on defense. Also on the onside kick, that was a nice trick having both he and Akers out there for the misdirection.

And I’d also like to grade down Jim Schwartz towards the end of the game today too. It was a moment of bad gamesmanship in my opinion. With less than a minute left, Green Bay was willing to take the knee and run the clock out. Schwartz decided to call a time out, make Green Bay punt, and then rather than go for it, he decided to take the knee with the ball and end the game. HUH? It’s not like we get additional points for having the ball when the clock runs out. That made absolutely no sense whatsoever; at that point concede graciously and not put any of the players on both sides of the ball at jeopardy. The only thing it produced was a penalty to Tahir Whitehead.

Yawn. They still might win eight games.

Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 20 ... LastLast