Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 7 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast

Schwartz needs to be fired, this season is over and the division was there for the taking. In fact the whole coaching staff needs to be revamped.

GUSHI Guest

Unbelievable, no never mine unfknbelievable, disgusting, garbage, bench Matthew the rest of the season, fire Swartz!

GUSHI Guest

bring in a new staff, Swartz is a horrible coach, I don't think I can watch this garbage anymore. Complete freaking GARBAge!

Quote Originally Posted by p1acebo View Post
    Schwartz needs to be fired, this season is over and the division was there for the taking. In fact the whole coaching staff needs to be revamped.
    I agree. Stafford needs to be talked to as well or possibly benched for a game because he continues his streak of turnovers. One of these years we'll actually live up to our potential, but I guess it's not this year...

Fuckingfuckers.

How does anyone explain this? Seriously. Our biggest stars choke it all away on the big stage. I seriously wonder if Calvin's got something wrong with his hands. Drop a ball every now and then, it happens to the best of them- but Calvin during crunch time dropping them like that is unheard of. I'm sure he won't admit to anything other than an admission of not doing his job; he's a professional that way. He's class but even so it's gut wrenching to see our superstars not doing as well as we've gotten accustomed to seeing them. And even Stafford has regressed. I'm sure all of the mechanics pundits will come out of the wood work now and question his deliveries.

And I'm finally convinced that this will be the coffin nail in Jim Schwartz' career here. Rightfully or wrongfully, he's the guy who will take the fall for this team's lack of performance.

Two more games to go and it's not even in our hands any more. We had a grip on the steering wheel and we've just been seriously derailed in our playoff quest. We can still get in but we need help now. It's not the most envious of positions to be in but the Lions have put themselves there.

I concur that Schwartz and the coaches should be gone. The curse of William Clay Ford, however, will live on.

Over the half century or so that I have been a Lions' fan, I have seen last night's game dozens, if not hundreds, of time. Different players wore the Honolulu Blue and Silver, different coaches [[and I use that word loosely) roamed the sideline and different opponents took advantage of the Lions' self destruction, but the play and the results were the same.

It may finally be time to tender my resignation as a Lions' fan.

Quote Originally Posted by smogboy View Post
    How does anyone explain this? Seriously. Our biggest stars choke it all away on the big stage. I seriously wonder if Calvin's got something wrong with his hands. Drop a ball every now and then, it happens to the best of them- but Calvin during crunch time dropping them like that is unheard of. I'm sure he won't admit to anything other than an admission of not doing his job; he's a professional that way. He's class but even so it's gut wrenching to see our superstars not doing as well as we've gotten accustomed to seeing them.
    I wonder if Calvin let those stupid comments by Matt Elam of the Ravens get to him? Probably not...but I didn't even expect Calvin to respond to that foolishness because he's such a professional and is always so focused. Either way it definitely wasn't his best performance.

When is Calvin's contract up? He doesn't deserve a team like this. He should sign with a real contender. We all know, that he well deserves better, than this.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
    When is Calvin's contract up? He doesn't deserve a team like this. He should sign with a real contender. We all know, that he well deserves better, than this.
    Oh Jeezus- it's our annual Lions krampus troll coming back to the thread to anoint us with this gem of "advice". We all know damn well that you're two clicks of a mouse away from finding out the length of Calvin's contract even if you're even a mild football fan. Don't feign ignorance here.

By this messed up logic only contenders should have the superstars and all others should be wiped off the planet.

This is the sort of message that would get clawed to bits if it was called into a radio station. Guys like Mike Valenti [[who I consider very cynical and critical of the Lions) would drop trow on this sort of call and just have a field day on this sort of message. Even a level headed guy like Terry Foster would shred this.

Hell, I went to the game. I saw the debacle that was on the field last Monday.

I'm mad as the next guy who thinks this team should've done better. I have no issues calling for Schwartz' firing now. Something needs to be done to shake this team up and like so many times before, the coach gets the whack for the team's crappy performance. We get it. I'm sure he knows it too. Coaches get hired to be fired. And I'm all for making a change now; this team needs to get better and if the coach gets clipped so be it.

At least I'm calling for a way to get our team better.

But to have this sort of stupid advice to trading our best player to a team because he deserves better? That's bunk and just stupid. Now if you were to say trade Calvin away and get some nice return for him; I'd have no issue with that comment but you're just trying to stir the pot of the real fans here. I'm calling you out on it, Big Dog; it's all bark and no bite here.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitpride313 View Post
    I wonder if Calvin let those stupid comments by Matt Elam of the Ravens get to him? Probably not...but I didn't even expect Calvin to respond to that foolishness because he's such a professional and is always so focused. Either way it definitely wasn't his best performance.
    Calvin manned up to it at the presser. He knew he flubbed those passes and at critical times of the game too. I'm as disappointed as the next guy- well probably a bit more because the guy who sat next to me at Ford Field was drunk as a skunk.

What frustrates me about this team is that finally we have the talent to compete and really do something. Yet the boneheadedness and crappy play continue. For so many years, they were not competitive. They were literally unwatchable, so I rarely watched or cared. Now, after making the playoffs two years ago, they can finally play with the big boys, yet they still screw it up.
    It's like finding that girl who you think is the love of your life, and when you're ready to commit, you find out she's a fake or she has too much baggage.
    This is why I refuse to become emotionally attached to this team. They will ultimately break your heart.
    I hate to say it, but I told my family that Monday's game is one they would lose, and they did. Even though they had everything going for them. This is the kind of team they are.
    Follow them at your own risk. This should be the warning to all Lions fans.
    Jim Schwartz finally shed the soft label they had for so long. Now, they may have gone too far in the opposite direction, since more discipline would help.
    For so long, I just wanted to see games that matter late in the season. I finally have my wish and I won't complain about that.

Quote Originally Posted by jefferson78 View Post
    For so long, I just wanted to see games that matter late in the season. I finally have my wish and I won't complain about that.
    I've heard that it's easy to bounce up when one hits the bottom but what's the ultimate challenge for this team is to rise above the mediocrity. It's easy to improve with high early round draft picks like Stafford, Johnson and Suh. What's really tough to to separate yourself from that middle-of-the-pack mentality and become elite. We no longer have the can't miss first round draft picks. We no longer have immense salary cap space. And to sign free agents- we can't afford to over pay for them either.

Schwartz has gotten us out of the cellar. We're somewhere in the first floor lobby but we just can't get to the penthouse yet. So many other teams are in this same predicament but it just so happens that our Lions just can't seem to find the up button on the elevator yet.

I think Calvin is worth very much. Something has to be done. Personally, I believe he has had a concussion injury, for the last several games.

Just listened to an interesting interview with Don Banks of Sports Illustrated. He basically said that the opinion around the league is that Schwartz and Mayhew felt the Lions had so little talent and such a culture of losing when they took over that they had to draft the best raw talent regardless of discipline and attitude. This has led to a team with plenty of talent but not disciplined and smart enough to avoid the penalties and turnovers. As a result, if they don't make the playoffs Schwartz will be fired more for how his drafting affected the results than his actual coaching.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Just listened to an interesting interview with Don Banks of Sports Illustrated. He basically said that the opinion around the league is that Schwartz and Mayhew felt the Lions had so little talent and such a culture of losing when they took over that they had to draft the best raw talent regardless of discipline and attitude. This has led to a team with plenty of talent but not disciplined and smart enough to avoid the penalties and turnovers. As a result, if they don't make the playoffs Schwartz will be fired more for how his drafting affected the results than his actual coaching.
    I disagree. Schwartz and Mayhew are just not that smart.

I decided to take a look back at last year's thread. You can find it over on the "sports" tab. This is what I wrote a year ago on December 18th:

"With my pillow almost dry from the tears shed on Sunday, I can try to look at a few issues for discussion.

1, with being shown up, our flaws can no longer be ignored. Just like after 0-16, when we had no choice but to start planning wholesale change, this loss to the Cards allows us to mentally address our failings.

2, our chances for high draft picks have increased

3, who has been the biggest disappointment? Titus? Delmas? Stafford? Tulloch? Best? Who for you? Me, it might be Vandenbosch. My belief that his leadership was critical to our maturation as a team apparently was false. We are still pooping our pants like before, but now the world is watching us do it. Before no one saw because we weren't on the national stage, now that we are on the Big Stage, that brown stain running down our leg allows everyone a laugh. As much as I like the idea of KVB, the reality is stark: he should be gone.

4, which game turned the season from hope to reality? Looking back it might have been the Rams in week 1. We won, but gave up 3 picks and allowed a bad team a chance.

5, if offered free tix to the last two games would you go, or stay home if the home option offered your favorite meal and humpity bumpity time?"

Goodness, with the exception of KVB being gone there isn't much I would change. We still are an embarrassment on the national stage and our maturation has not improved. In the case of Stafford, it seemingly has regressed.

At least we are not slugging people after the whistle. I guess that is an improvement.

I still love the Lions, am fully on the bandwagon, even if it does have one broken wheel. I will tune in, cheer and agonize over a poor performance. I won't be happy, but I will still be a fan.

The 'bad girlfriend' thing is true. The lions tease and taunt and please and in the end leave you with a depleted bank account, an uncomfortable rash, and the mocking reality that they don't love you back.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    I still love the Lions, am fully on the bandwagon, even if it does have one broken wheel. I will tune in, cheer and agonize over a poor performance. I won't be happy, but I will still be a fan.

The 'bad girlfriend' thing is true. The lions tease and taunt and please and in the end leave you with a depleted bank account, an uncomfortable rash, and the mocking reality that they don't love you back.
    There there, brother gnome. No need to have any shame or regret for wanting to cheer this team on. I'm there with ya every step of the way. Ain't no way we're going to abandon OUR hometown team here- despite all of their warts, crooked teeth, and abusive nature. They're ours no matter what. Sure sure- the bandwagon gets lighter every time this team takes a tumble, but I'm still onboard with ya.

And to those people who seriously and genuinely did jump off the bandwagon- meh, they're not going to see this anyway. Or if they are reading this, it says a lot more about them for secretly still wanting to know about this team than anything else. They really haven't jumped off the bandwagon; they're just in denial. Why deny it and just embrace the fact that we're dyed-in-the-freakin' wool Lions fans?

IMO, the Lions have the talent to win anywhere from 6-10 games. So, if they don't make the playoffs, I do not see this year as that bad.

The upside of the season is that the offensive line got a lot young, better and demands less salary.

Waddle and Warford are about 23 year old and are an big improvement over what they had last year. Cherlius had no ability to move to left tackle like Waddle. Warford is a road grader who can also get out into space. The guy he replaced took up space.

This means a 2014 draft need has been ameliorated.

IOW, being young on both sides of the line provides a foundation to build on.

I would like to see them add receiver with speed to get behind the opposing secondary.

Of more importance, is drafting defensive back 7 players who create turnovers.

One thing that has not been brought up is that the 2011 Lions had oldest roster in the NFL. That was a legacy of the Millen era. Another legacy was the high salaries for first round picks that as not corrected till the last collective bargain agreement.

So the 2011 "team on the rise" was kind of a mirage in that they needed get younger.

That's why I see the offensive lies a success. Peterman and Backus were old and Cherlios, although young, was not showing an upside.

An ancient Vandenbosch was replaced by a younger Ansah or Taylor.

If a new coach is to be, then I feel they will have something to build on

If I had a magic wand, my Lions coach would be the Harbaugh who leads the Ravens.

Pickford-Bentler, that has to be one of the most insightful observations of this team we've had here on the boards in a long while. Great observations and great use of the word "ameliorated"! Damn!

I also agree that we could use a wide receiver- and a damn good one at that to compliment Calvin. I know we're still all bearing the Charles Rogers and Michael Williams scars from the dark era of Lions lore, but it's the truth. Nate Burleson has been good but not phenomenal; he's a great presence in the locker room but I would've loved to see him [[or that other great wide out) get 5-8 touches a game to keep the other team honest.

Quote Originally Posted by smogboy View Post
    How does anyone explain this?
    SOL. Explained.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ5 View Post
    SOL. Explained.
    Y'know... I'm tired of this as a blanket explanation for the Lions play. This is a weak ass argument as it gets.

I understand that the Lions have found some unique ways of bumbling away sure fire victories and have even looked far less than competitive, but to say this is the same old Lions isn't giving any credit or blame to this current regime.

Different group of guys wearing a slightly modified uniform of the previous Detroit teams for sure.

Just like it's not fair to compare the current Red Wings to the dynasty era of the Production Line, the current Pistons to the Bad Boys or the current Tigers to Sparky's boys of 1984- how can one honestly say that it's SOL. You can't.

Want to get up off of your ass and say "Hey, this Lions team found a new way to lose!"? I'll agree, but to say SOL is just feeble and tired now. No substance and obviously not fair to the guys who suit up every week as our football team. The majority of them have had no link to the really pitiful years.

So get off of that SOL bandwagon. It's tired now. How original of an explanation is it any more? It was cute at one point but now it's just mundane at best.

Would you prefer a Voodoo hex as a rationale? The Curse of Bobby Layne? The SOL explanation is shorthand for what has become the M.O. For our team. For some reason they make the impossible not just possible, but probable. To think we are fans of impossible probability, that we know that at any moment long-dead inca warriors could match into Ford Field in a naked conga line singing "Inky-Dinky-Doo" and block a field goal with imaginary flaming arrows...yet we watch in horror and amazement as we see new impossibilities made real.

Maybe I'm really in the minority of in fact a lone wolf here. And I certainly don't mean any disrespect to the rabid football fans. But I just don't get the annual adoration of the Detroit Lions. I enjoy all the sports played here and nearby. But having lived here all my life, I question what they've [[Lions) ever given our community. I cheer for the Tigers, Red Wings, and Pistons not only because I like their sports, but because of their past successes I want them to do well in order to recapture those great feelings we've all shared when they've won. But in the case of the Detroit Lions, there are varying scripts each year. But the end result is always the same.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Would you prefer a Voodoo hex as a rationale? The Curse of Bobby Layne? The SOL explanation is shorthand for what has become the M.O.
    After learning a few more things during the fiftieth anniversary of the JFK assassination...including the collusion with the Ford Motor Company regarding the secret replacement windshield and frame...and co-incidental acquisition of the Lions at the same time frame...I would claim they are under the curse of Senior's part in the conspiracy.

I have no idea of where he was within the corporation at the time, if at all...but the timing stinks.

So, there's that.

Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 7 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast