Thanks...good to know how, why and when places met their demise. When I was going to the Tipperary Pub I lived downtown and the west side neighborhood between Southfield and Evergreen was devoid of any real crime [[relatively speaking).

My old girlfriend lived on Minock St. near Plymouth and Evergreen. Since you guys are West Siders, I assume Rouge Swimming Pools are gone? When, why, how? Are the classic buildings still standing? I can still smell the chlorine. Those old red-brick bath house structure were stunning and functional.

I was always terrified of the BIG pool on the south side of the three-pool complex. That neighborhood was the best of the best in the 50s and 60s. There were, however, some urban folklore tales from the park which may or may not have been based in reality -- the one I heard was that on a "lovers' lane" area near the Rouge River -- someone [[or a small gang pretending to be a cop[[s) or other official) knocks on a window, embarrassing the couple, then rapes the girl, hangs the guy from a tree and flay and skin him as she watches. Rings of "legend" but the "locals" swear by the story. As a teen in the 60s I refrained from using the park for that ...uh...purpose, but rather parked in a church lot at Evergreen and Plymouth.

In the Book Detroit Daze, the John Oxman Voyages, I gather that long after I was gone, there were tough white-kid gangs around Telegraph and Warren.