Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

The Old Miami has a long story and if you can corner Danny the owner for about 3 hours he could tell you the story.

Another good story is of what is now known as Honest Johns which used to be Elmers. Elmers was the last real dive I spent time in. If you can corner him [[John Thompson) you'll have even a better story.

I know both of the stories but not gonna even start to try and tell them, its not my place as Id get too many details wrong.

Bookies on 6 mile was another great classic of Detroit punk rock dive.

I dont know Neils last name but he owned the Gold Dollar in the 90s but the Dollar was more of a R&R bar, still a classic that has a long storied past as a gay bar years before.

Temple Bar. The owner works there often enough to get the scoop over the bar, nice guy.
    Last edited by Django; January-08-13 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Nikoli Vodka

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    I dont know Neils last name but he owned the Gold Dollar in the 90s but the Dollar was more of a R&R bar, still a classic that has a long storied past as a gay bar years before.
    Yee-and he was a genius and a very abiding dude from Milwaukee. He picked up a lot of the business Zoot's had, when it closed. It also ran steady for four years. It was one of the first bars I knew that stocked the cigarette machine with American Spirits [["Y'know, because their better for you."-like versus, not smoking?) He used to have "proms" every year [[maybe I should post some photos) and open mic nights every Sunday. The bar was infamous as an old drag bar. The bathrooms were elevated a step and a sign used to read "Step up Queenie".

Neil Yee is still hanging out .... http://golddollar.com/