Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    BS. What we need are more "Social Programs". If we throw even more free money @ crime, it'll eventually go away. Eventually.
    I don't believe that's the best solution. It's part of it. We should be investing in more social programs, but it's unlikely to make a big enough dent.

The biggest solution is jobs. More people on stable incomes that will raise more kids in stable households.

The biggest problem here in Chicago is there's a ton of homeless kids. The social programs provide them homes and meals, but these kids are still roaming the streets looking for something to do. They get involved with the wrong people and the trouble starts.

As for current criminals serving sentences, I don't like the idea of inmates having free room and board in prison. They should be required to do work if physically able. Prisoners involved in work camps for example are less likely to recidivate when they are released. Many states release these reports. But these programs do require quite a bit of resources so it isn't necessarily the magical solution.

I really haven't been following Bing as closely since I no longer live in Michigan, but my general perception of his character is he's a nice guy but a very weak mayor.

You need a strong and honest personality and got to be a bully. Ram through the policies you want even if it offends a ton of people. Actually the more people you piss off as mayor, the better mayor you are. I realize that doesn't sound right, but most often big changes that are for the best are never all that popular. Something's got to give.
    Last edited by wolverine; January-10-13 at 12:41 AM.