Quote Originally Posted by MSUguy View Post
Yes it was so effective that those same voter overwhelmingly undid parts of it TWICE because was wasting 100+ million dollars per year locking up non violent offenders. Thankfully most in CA didn't like this Mike Reynolds tool.

As to the OP how many of those cops are actually patrolling in LA vs Detroit
Yes, the law was softened a couple months ago, but the OPs comparison to LA was based on the original law for the past 15 years. Those new statistics are not going to be out for another couple years. LA is gonna pay for it with higher crime rates.

How can Detroit police patrol like LA when sentencing laws are so different and career criminals are rampant in Detroit from a revolving door justice system and taking up so much of the DPD's time? How can a Detroit officer patrol like LA when they have to arrest the same revolving door criminal and spend the rest of their shift writing up a report? There are so many things an officer has to do to process someone they arrest that you're comparing apples to oranges when comparing Detroit policing to LA policing with a similar level of cops per capita.

The problem isn't with the Detroit Police. I see no evidence of that. I think they do a good job. The problem is with the weak laws themselves that overburden police resources. You're not gonna see any significant decreases in the crime rates in Detroit without changing the laws in Michigan. I guess you're fine with the status quo.