Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by davewindsor View Post
    If the program ended a few years ago, why is the website still up and why is the website still accepting complaints?
    I don't know why. But the program ended in April 2010.

Now on FaceBook

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...levant_count=1

Keep them coming, inside photos would be nice

Cheers

Good job by the guys on the F/B page

A INSIDE photo! [finally!]

http://sphotos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphoto...37318983_n.jpg

Must say its a stunning building inside too, $150k and no sale, really "WTF?"

We want more "non file" photos, lets see this blocked-drain/flooded basement and other multi issues etc

Cheers
    Last edited by AUSSIE; March-22-13 at 04:51 PM.

When my mother gave her First Commandment, to her misbehaving children, " Nix kum raus in der Deutschemens haus,' all fighting and screaming stopped. Immediately.
    The CYO building on Mack was the "Home" basketball court for St. Joe's High School, among other schools. We, I, played there from 1942 to 1946.
    off to the The name, "Deutsch Haus" was chiseled in the brick over the front entrance.
    There had been another removable sign with the english words," German bund."

"I know you want more............."

Another from inside, its art i tell'ya, art!

http://sphotos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphoto...26612788_n.jpg

Bring on more!!

Cheers

The ceilings are plaster. A neighbor realtor says currently, the plaster is damaged. Anyone know of artisans who can fix that? Also, anyone know how code sprinklers could be put in without damaging the ceiling or looking ugly? Maybe that’s why no big real estate players have bought this building. Or maybe it’s too risky as a commercial venture here on Mack Ave. relative to the expenses. They sure are buying buildings downtown. My hope is a church can return here. New Macedonia Baptist Church was a good neighbor and good for the community.

Doing my usual bi-monthly google search of 8200 Mack, i find that its been removed from sale AND/OR has been sold

Anybody know/hear anything? Like to be kept in the loop so to speak

Keep up the good work teamD

Cheers from cold Australia!

Quote Originally Posted by villagejack View Post
    The ceilings are plaster. A neighbor realtor says currently, the plaster is damaged. Anyone know of artisans who can fix that? Also, anyone know how code sprinklers could be put in without damaging the ceiling or looking ugly? Maybe that’s why no big real estate players have bought this building. Or maybe it’s too risky as a commercial venture here on Mack Ave. relative to the expenses. They sure are buying buildings downtown. My hope is a church can return here. New Macedonia Baptist Church was a good neighbor and good for the community.
    Newer ones can be fully concealed into the ceiling with minimal disruption to the plaster. Though at that height, you'd need alot so it would be pretty expensive to install. Mechanical upgrades alone to that place you are looking at spending several times what it cost from the building purchase.

As far as the plaster, I've worked with an out of state company that does digital scans of the ceiling and then CNC's a cast for the plaster. No artistry involved. Sometimes, it will be cheaper to just rip most of it out and replace with a replica ceiling of the original if there's other problems or you need easier access for mechanical upgrades. The ceiling looks easy for repairs because there's alot of repetition. the more repetition, the cheaper it is to reconstruct because you can use the same cast over and over again.

But it looks to be in great shape, and I think it's worth keeping this building around. Hopefully the new buyer takes care of it.
    Last edited by wolverine; July-01-13 at 12:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by villagejack View Post
    There is a company somewhere N.W. of Detroit that specializes in reproducing ornate plaster trim from that time period. Their most notable work, [[around the Metro-Detroit area), was The Detroit Opera House. They do it analog, with old world craftsmanship. To watch him repair/reproduce ornate trim is short of remarkable. I took a class from that guy @ The Detroit Opera House. It was very cool.

So anyway, have not heard anything just yet, sold, withdrawn, keeping?

But noticed that the Google Earth Camera Car must have recently passed said address and updated the photo.

Looks splendid i must say, and clear photos too:

https://www.google.com.au/maps?q=&la...ed=0CCsQxB0wAA

Cheers

A

I know you want more!! :

http://wikimapia.org/6073198/former-...Baptist-Church

Cheers

A

VERY very close to getting some prime video of 8200 Mack Just above his shoulder you can see it in the background!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycdTdRA6C9E

Cheers

A

What kind of goofball is the guy in that video? First of all, that's a storefront, not a house. And then, ohhhh, what an "adventure" - looking into the front of an abandoned store!

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    What kind of goofball is the guy in that video? First of all, that's a storefront, not a house. And then, ohhhh, what an "adventure" - looking into the front of an abandoned store!
    Well, not sure how to reply that, just HAPPY to see 8200 Mack in the background, that could be just me though!

Cheers

A

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE View Post
    Well, not sure how to reply that, just HAPPY to see 8200 Mack in the background, that could be just me though!

Cheers

A
    I was by there on Sunday not much has changed since the last image I posted.

UPDATE:

Its now OFF the market

Still advertised, they are looking at short term rentals, good move [i think] least it gets upkeep and used a little

Cheers

I saw this thread and shot some video footage yesterday. I'm not a videographer, so it's nothing special ;-) but it hopefully gives you a better feel for the building and area.

I took some photos as well, but looking at others posted, they aren't really much different. The streetlight at Maxwell and Mack is gone now. Thankfully, no graffiti or exterior damage, other than a few of the glass tiles being broken. I wish it was secured a little better. A very stunning building. I'd love to see the state of interior.

Great video. Hopefully the taggers will paint all sorts on nonsensical words in stylized letters on it soon.

Quote Originally Posted by gpow View Post
    I saw this thread and shot some video footage yesterday. I'm not a videographer, so it's nothing special ;-) but it hopefully gives you a better feel for the building and area.

I took some photos as well, but looking at others posted, they aren't really much different. The streetlight at Maxwell and Mack is gone now. Thankfully, no graffiti or exterior damage, other than a few of the glass tiles being broken. I wish it was secured a little better. A very stunning building. I'd love to see the state of interior.

This was nice of you to do this for Aussie.

I really appreciated the detailed history of the building. This whole near east area was German Town back in the day. My church founded around 1810 was started in a store front to promote German culture. I believe the current church was built 1839 and included a school. I am still fascinated that the gym is on the 3rd floor . Very beautiful church, very quaint. Sadly, for a church that seats 1500, we maybe get a turn out of 20 on Sunday

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    I really appreciated the detailed history of the building. This whole near east area was German Town back in the day. My church founded around 1810 was started in a store front to promote German culture. I believe the current church was built 1839 and included a school. I am still fascinated that the gym is on the 3rd floor . Very beautiful church, very quaint. Sadly, for a church that seats 1500, we maybe get a turn out of 20 on Sunday
    Sumas what is the name of your church?

1:36 posting reads "This property has been evicted" from where? the city actually evicted a piece of property?

1:49 you can see some part of a fire alarm system in place.

Nice looking building over all,odd lack of windows on the sides though.

The glass block/aluminum windows aspect just kinda looks,well,like a WTF moment,kinda like putting 10" wheels on a Bentley.
    Last edited by Richard; August-26-13 at 04:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    1:36 posting reads "This property has been evicted" from where? the city actually evicted a piece of property?
    Yeah, I found it kind of odd; especially since none of the information on the paper was actually filled in!

Name:  IMG_3435.jpg
Views: 598
Size:  36.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    Sumas what is the name of your church?
    St John St Luke, UCC like our president, although they just call it Old St John now. Its history is cool.We played a significant role in the underground railroad by smuggling escaped slaves in a false bottom casket over to Windsor and freedom. Also cool to my heart is that we played a major role in getting German Jews out of Germany during WWII. My Grandfather was a Russian Jew that fled Russia during the pogrom at the turn of the last century. It has a major concern being significant in community service. Located on Russel south of Gratiot.

Unfortunately I am old enough to recall the occasional service in German and of course the old ladies who sang Christmas songs in German too. We don't keep much to the old ways but do do a few German feasts about 4 times a year and Tottenfest is coming up soon. Tottenfest is the feast of the dead. Generally people who passed in the last year are named but past special people are all remembered in general. It is a charming service.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast