Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Bring on Bill..I am surprised we didn't consider him beofre...His dedication to "D" will be as strong as anyone else..what do we have to lose...trades beside Joe has done a good job in a tough market.

Guess I'll be the first, Michael Curry got screwed. No he was not a good coach but he shouldn't have been hired in the first place.

curious... perhaps Joe D will end up as GM/head coach.. if Laimbeer gets it.. heh.. we'll see what happens..

Quote Originally Posted by daddeeo View Post
    No retreads please.
    Bill may be the guy. He can be a hard ass but he also made winners out of a gal's team. This may prove he has a soft side. They didn't mutiny.
    I agree. No retreads, period. I don't want to see Doug Collins or Jeff Van Gundy or anyone who looks or act like them. Last time I checked, both of these coaches were average. I would rather for the Pistons to sign Laimbeer to the job because Piston fans know that Laimbeer wants to win. He won't suck up to the players or do something silly like benching Hamilton for Iverson. That move right there told me Curry didn't have the balls for the job.

I'm in over my head here. But I'll offer my opinion just so you guys can put the bullseye on my back. No retreads. Someone new and exciting. Not just for a cheap hire, either. Puullllease, no Larry Browns, Doug Collins or Van Gundys. Most of my friends who follow pro-ball, say I don't know my ass from my head. They're right. Opinions are like asses, everybody has one.

This comes across as a desperation move.

If this move was made because Dumars found out that free agents aren't interested in signing with the Pistons why did he wait until the day before free agency starts?
    NBA players talk to one another and discuss where they might be interested in playing. Dumars should have known this weeks ago if not months ago.

Here's hoping that the new looks Pistons are more than the old look Pistons with a new coach.

....It's Isiah Thompson

I like Avery Johnson as Pistons coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Switchmanjim View Post
    ....It's Isiah Thompson
    Who is Isiah Thompson? Zeke's bastard son!!!

I think you meant Isiah THOMAS. You can't be a Pistons fan because a Pistons fan wouldn't have made that blunder.

Quote Originally Posted by R8RBOB View Post
    Who is Isiah Thompson? Zeke's bastard son!!!

I think you meant Isiah THOMAS. You can't be a Pistons fan because a Pistons fan wouldn't have made that blunder.
    Well then, I guess Florida International's Athletic Director isn't a Pistons fan because here he is introducing Zeke as Head Coach a few months ago...

Michael Curry was a mistake. He was in over his head and I thought the only reason why he was given the job was because of his relationship with Chris Bosh. The Allen Iverson deal was the second wrong that didn’t make a right. I am not sure what is Joe Dumars’ master plan, but I will say that when he has made mistakes he’s own up to them and quickly made moves to correct them, unlike say, Matt Millen. I don’t think Bill Laimbeer is the solution and I don’t like Doug Collins. I think Avery Johnson is the best guy out there with experience as a head coach. I guess we will soon see who Joe thinks is the right guy. I am more concerned about how he intends on filling out the roster, than who he picks to run the show.

How about Flip Saunders or Rick Carlye?

Quote Originally Posted by ejames01 View Post
    How about Flip Saunders or Rick Carlye?
    How about Ron Rothstein?

Quote Originally Posted by alsodave View Post
    How about Ron Rothstein?
    George Irvine, anyone!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rajdet View Post
    Michael Curry was a mistake. He was in over his head and I thought the only reason why he was given the job was because of his relationship with Chris Bosh. The Allen Iverson deal was the second wrong that didn’t make a right. I am not sure what is Joe Dumars’ master plan, but I will say that when he has made mistakes he’s own up to them and quickly made moves to correct them, unlike say, Matt Millen. I don’t think Bill Laimbeer is the solution and I don’t like Doug Collins. I think Avery Johnson is the best guy out there with experience as a head coach. I guess we will soon see who Joe thinks is the right guy. I am more concerned about how he intends on filling out the roster, than who he picks to run the show.
    Curry was over his head. He had the same problem that Flip Saunders had. Coaching a team that have done more than their coach had ever done. When Saunders took over for Brown, I knew it would be a matchup made in hell. Here is a coach who previous team never made it out of the first round all but ONE time and yet he is going to coach a team that had been in the two previous NBA Finals and he is going to tell them how to win it again and they are going to listen to him.

After the Pistons tone out Saunders, Dumars did the right thing to dump him because if you couldn't win with someone giving you a championship team [[see Switzer, Barry; Riley, Pat; Muckler, John; Seifert, George; Timlin, Mike; Russell, Bill; Flores, Tom) you should not be a coach in any sport.

Curry had it worse. A first time head coach dealing with drama queens like Rasheed Wallace and Rip Hamilton and Allen Iverson!!! Hell, he was already doomed. If the Pistons had a young team that didn't have players from the 2004 championship team then perhaps Curry would have had a chance. Call it an learning experience.

Chuck Daly?

Quote Originally Posted by jtf1972 View Post
    Chuck Daly?
    eww. too soon.

For all the talk about how Flip Saunders was a matchup made in hell, and how Michael Curry was a dead man walking in a no-win situation, lets remember the one constant. Joe Dumars.

Joe Dumars ran Larry Brown out of town. He forced him to resign because he couldn't get along with him. This after he ridiculously fired Rick Carlisle after two 50 win seasons for the first time in a decade. Bill Davidson had to decide between Joe and Larry Brown, and Joe obviously won. So he cans Larry Brown and hires Flip. Two years later, he cans Flip and hires Curry. Now he says his team needs an experienced coach. Why is that? Could it be because the GM shipped out the best player which completely alienated the players and fans, and he gutted the entire roster?

Lets also remember that Chauncey was shipped out two games into last season. By this point all the season ticket sales had been made. And he was traded just two days after Rip Hamilton was conned into signing an extension. Rip has said he would have never extended if he knew Chauncey was being traded. Joe completely pulled the wool over Rip's and Chauncey's eyes. He's fired 4[[!) coaches already. In another year or two he will have fired 5 coaches. Dumars is running a really questionable business practice here. Sooner or later, his disrespect of others and cutthroat ways will bite him in his ass if his shitty teams haven't already done it.

I'll close out on this point: You can say 6 straight ECF, etc... But the Pistons have declined every year since 2004. They have not improved since the title from one year to the next, and that will almost certainly hold true this year.

I know I'm in the small minority here, but I completely and unequivocally blame Dumars for any and all declines.

Quote Originally Posted by GREENTROIT View Post
    For all the talk about how Flip Saunders was a matchup made in hell, and how Michael Curry was a dead man walking in a no-win situation, lets remember the one constant. Joe Dumars.

Joe Dumars ran Larry Brown out of town. He forced him to resign because he couldn't get along with him. This after he ridiculously fired Rick Carlisle after two 50 win seasons for the first time in a decade. Bill Davidson had to decide between Joe and Larry Brown, and Joe obviously won. So he cans Larry Brown and hires Flip. Two years later, he cans Flip and hires Curry. Now he says his team needs an experienced coach. Why is that? Could it be because the GM shipped out the best player which completely alienated the players and fans, and he gutted the entire roster?

Lets also remember that Chauncey was shipped out two games into last season. By this point all the season ticket sales had been made. And he was traded just two days after Rip Hamilton was conned into signing an extension. Rip has said he would have never extended if he knew Chauncey was being traded. Joe completely pulled the wool over Rip's and Chauncey's eyes. He's fired 4[[!) coaches already. In another year or two he will have fired 5 coaches. Dumars is running a really questionable business practice here. Sooner or later, his disrespect of others and cutthroat ways will bite him in his ass if his shitty teams haven't already done it.

I'll close out on this point: You can say 6 straight ECF, etc... But the Pistons have declined every year since 2004. They have not improved since the title from one year to the next, and that will almost certainly hold true this year.

Did Joe personally personally hurt your feelings or something.

Larry Brown chased himself out of town. He didn't want to be here anymore, he wanted to be in New York.

Sorry Greenie but you are getting your facts from BizarroWorld News. First off, Joe Dumars did not drive out Larry Brown. The late Bill Davidson got rid of Brown. He went on television stating why he wanted him gone.

Rick Carlisle was fired because the Pistons wanted to trade up [[Larry Brown) but he did not make friends with the Davidson hierarchy named Tom Wilson and that cost him his job.

To blame Joe Dumars for Carlisle and Brown's firing is short-sighted since Dumars don't own the team and the boss could have overruled him. Dumars fired them because the boss told him to do so.

Well if Davidson was making all of the moves what exactly does Dumars do? I mean, if he doesn't hire/fire coaches, sign players, draft busts, and all that, why does he have the title of GM? You're crazy if you don't think that Dumars drove Brown out. It doesn't look like it to us because the Pistons led by Dumars carried out a public smear campaign on Brown to make themselves look like victims, but Larry Brown wanted to stay and Dumars forced him out.

Well if Davidson was making all of the moves what exactly does Dumars do? I mean, if he doesn't hire/fire coaches, sign players, draft busts, and all that, why does he have the title of GM? You're crazy if you don't think that Dumars drove Brown out. It doesn't look like it to us because the Pistons led by Dumars carried out a public smear campaign on Brown to make themselves look like victims, but Larry Brown wanted to stay and Dumars forced him out.
    Green, you are talking about Larry Brown. Larry Brown!!! Larry Brown!!!!!!!

I'm curious Green if you know the history of Larry Brown. Take a look at the travels of Larry Brown and tell me again that Joe Dumars drove him out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Brown_[[basketball)

Yes I know Larry Brown is all over the place. Don't let me center my Joe D bashing on him alone. Here's my platform:

Drafting: Joe D is awful. Here are his lottery picks... Mateen Cleaves, Rodney White, Darko Milicic. Some players he passed up that were drafted within 5 picks BEHIND these players include Hedo Turkoglu, Joe Johnson, Richard Jefferson, Carmelo Anthony, Dwayne Wade, Chris Bosh, Chris Kaman, and Kirk Hinrich. Let's not forget he just drafted Austin Daye who looks like a poor mans Tayshaun Prince.

Coaches: I've already illustrated this, but lets just say that Joe has fired arguably 3 top ten coaches [[Carlisle, Brown, Saunders), and gone through 6 coaches in 9 years.

Trades: Billups for Iverson, enough said. Then theres the labeling of Stuckey as untouchable and calling him "the point guard of the future" when anybody with two eyes can see Stuckey is not a PG, he's a 2 guard. And an undersized 2 who can't defend anybody and doesn't have a great shot. So he basically made an average player without a position untouchable...

Now he has tons of cap room. And if he signs LeBron or D-Wade to a contract next year I will rejoice and sing Joe's praises. But I don't see it happening. And if he panics and signs Ben Gordon and Charlie Villanueva to multi-year $10M deals, then he will cripple this franchise for the next 5 years....

Quote Originally Posted by R8RBOB View Post
    Sorry Greenie but you are getting your facts from BizarroWorld News. First off, Joe Dumars did not drive out Larry Brown. The late Bill Davidson got rid of Brown. He went on television stating why he wanted him gone.

Rick Carlisle was fired because the Pistons wanted to trade up [[Larry Brown) but he did not make friends with the Davidson hierarchy named Tom Wilson and that cost him his job.

To blame Joe Dumars for Carlisle and Brown's firing is short-sighted since Dumars don't own the team and the boss could have overruled him. Dumars fired them because the boss told him to do so.
    I have to agree, I think Mr D. had issues with Carlisle, and Larry Brown did everything he could possible do to get fired. I think Joe made the call with Flip but I can't blame him because the players didn't respect him and it was obvious.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast