From article:

...Bing dropped the bomb that Detroit had suffered its most murderous year since 1987, the height of the crack epidemic.

He and interim Police Chief Chester Logan sat at the table like a pair of grumpy old men, scowling and chewing on their lips. They could offer no explanation for the spiraling murder rate. No plan to combat it. Nor could they accept the bulk of the blame.

All Bing could do was offer this ladle of Jell-O pudding: "I just don't believe our police department should have the total responsibility for safety in the city."

If not the police, then who has the responsibility? Detroit, with a population estimated at less than 700,000, clocked in with 408 homicides in 2012. New York by contrast has a population of 8.2 million. Gotham recorded 414 homicides in 2012, which included 14 homicides from previous years.

Do the math. Relatively tiny Detroit witnessed more murder than any other city in American except Chicago. On Friday, I learned a Navy petty officer home on leave was shot and killed in the city, and a Marine who served in Iraq is near death after being shot Dec. 29 on the city's west side. To think you can survive the theaters of war, only to be cut down in the killing fields of Detroit.

Chief Logan has promised a departmental reorganization come February, but don't expect much from a guy who said: "If I had a thousand more police officers in the city of Detroit, the way things are now I don't know what kind of impact that would have, so I'm not asking for more police officers."

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/20...all-in-detroit