Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Default Rashida Tlaib: Moroun 'disregards federal processes'

SW Detroit state rep dishes tough talk again today in Freep: http://www.freep.com/article/2009040...68/0/OPINION01

Excerpts:
    "To my great disappointment, there has been no significant opposition from our state and local elected officials, despite the fact that this company, owned by a Grosse Pointe billionaire, disregards federal processes specifically designed to protect the public from irreparable harm to their health and environment. The Ambassador Bridge company's history of taking shortcuts to expedite its profits must end; the health of our children and well-being of our community are at stake.
    ". . . A number of elected officials act as though they are already swayed because of political contributions. They turn their heads to the Ambassador Bridge company's act-now-ask-later maneuvers. It must stop.We deserve respect."
    At last month's local Coast Guard hearing, she adds: "Among the scattered Ambassador Bridge company supporters were kids, paid $40 to attend and hold professional signs."

Freep roundup on this issue also has pro-bridge column by Adolph Mongo [['Project will bring new jobs and boost economy') and editorial saying the "unconstructive holy war" should end because "the region will eventually need both bridges."

Prostitution, cancer and asthma?

Wow.

gravitymachine Guest

where you have truckers, you have prostitutes. where you have trucks, you have diesel particulate in the air

dexterferry Guest

BShea, what does Dan Stamper have on you? Or did Matty just have your driveway paved or something?

where you have truckers, you have prostitutes. where you have trucks, you have diesel particulate in the air

Yeah, but the trucks aren't stopping here for any length of time, are they? I thought it was more processing and getting on to their destinations. I could be wrong, I just don't know the typical cycle for trucks moving through. I thought they just moved on to wherever after getting thru customs.

In any case, if what you say is true, then will it not be true for the DRIC bridge that Tlaib is championing? I fail to understand how those concerns are valid for one bridge, but not both?

Come on, Dexter Ferry. It's not right to accuse someone of something just because they ask questions or exercise some independent thinking.

Dexter would appear to be of the cadre of anti-Moroun folks that reflexively lurch into ad hominem childishness whenever anyone dares question -- or point out the hypocrisy -- of the DRIC stuff.

I ask how DRIC would not attract prostitution and have air fouled by idle diesel trucks, so that must mean I'm a DIBC hack, right?

Moroun's a slum lord, so that means DRIC is wonderful. Or that's how the logic seems to go around here. Moroun is causing prostitution, cancer and asthma, but none of that will happen when much of Delray is bulldozed.

Default Rashida Tlaib: Moroun "disregards federal processes"

I checked out the City Council meeting on Monday March 30th and it appeared that there were some Council Members that had some concerns about the project. So, I don't think it's fair to say that there is no opposition from local leaders, in fact, I think that's all there is from the local leaders.

The real problem was that there several City of Detroit departments that were unaware of the permits that the Bridge company had asked for and had been granted. In typical Detroit fashion, none of the Departments have been communicating with each other regarding the Bridge Companies permits and applications. Furthermore, it turned out that the Mayor's Office and the City Council had actually passed a resolution that gave the Bridge Company permission to put up the fence at Riverside Park. Of course, no one had remembered that. It was so bad, that one person from the Buidling Department was unaware of what her own office had been doing. As it turns out, the Building Department has been sitting on some applications from the Bridge company for more than two years which is what was used in court when the Bridge company was designated as a federal instrumentality.

I still say that there appears to be a biasness against the Bridge Company and for the DRIC that is backfiring on everyone. Think about it, everyone is up in arms about the finding of "no significant impact" for the bridge to put up a replacement span, but, no one had a problem with that same finding for the DRIC which is for a whole new bridge. The Coast Guard isn't going to second guess itself when it recognizes this kind of biasness.

Furthermore, Rashida Tlaib is quick to point ou that Windsor has problems with the Bridge, but hasn't pointed out that Canada is disputing the Environmental Assessment of the DRIC and recognizing that we may need to do the same. The people making the decisions have to know that there are genuine concerns and not just an anti Matty Moroun campaign afoot.