Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Thread: Gays in Detroit

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Ferndale is the gay area of Detroit. Anecdotally, I would say that the nice older homes in Pleasant Ridge/Hungtington Woods and and Palmer Woods/University District/Sherwood Forest/Green Acres have lots of gays.

Palmer Park area [[the apartments, mostly) was the gay area until the early 80's, when rising crime and decay pushed gays to suburbia. I think, before that, the gay community was more to the south in the old Jewish apartment corridors [[Dexter Davison and the like).

Does the Ferndale thing ring true still? There are still stores and the like, but I know a lot of people in Ferndale, none of whom are gay, and I know a lot of gay folks, and none of them live in Ferndale. Has the population dispersed?

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    Does the Ferndale thing ring true still? There are still stores and the like, but I know a lot of people in Ferndale, none of whom are gay, and I know a lot of gay folks, and none of them live in Ferndale. Has the population dispersed?
    I don't think it was ever the Gayborhood it was represented to be, but it was and probably still is the closest thing Detroit has to one.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    I don't think that Ferndale is [[or ever really was) a super heavily gay community, but I do think it's kind of the closest thing to a nexus for the demographic, given that they have the community center, and a number of gay-friendly gathering places.

Ferndale/Pleasant Ridge has lots of nice older homes, and generally crappy schools. This will attract many childless couples, many of whom are presumably gay. If I may stereotype, gays seem to prefer to renovate a nice older house, rather than buy some tract home.

I'm sure the same thing is going on in other communities with the nice houses/iffy schools thing [[University District, EEV, maybe Rosedale Park, maybe Lathrup Village).

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    I don't think that Ferndale is [[or ever really was) a super heavily gay community, but I do think it's kind of the closest thing to a nexus for the demographic, given that they have the community center, and a number of gay-friendly gathering places.

Ferndale/Pleasant Ridge has lots of nice older homes, and generally crappy schools. This will attract many childless couples, many of whom are presumably gay. If I may stereotype, gays seem to prefer to renovate a nice older house, rather than buy some tract home.

I'm sure the same thing is going on in other communities with the nice houses/iffy schools thing [[University District, EEV, maybe Rosedale Park, maybe Lathrup Village).
    I disagree with many of your points - and yes, you are stereotyping.
    Believe it or not, Gay people have children too and even those of us that do not recognize the value of successful schools.

Quote Originally Posted by leapfrog View Post
    I disagree with many of your points - and yes, you are stereotyping.
    Believe it or not, Gay people have children too and even those of us that do not recognize the value of successful schools.
    I am stereotyping, but it is true that gay couples are generally childless.

And, when you don't have children, locational decisions change. When I bought my house, the school district was the primary consideration, because I plan on having children.

If I never wanted to have children, I would be much less invested in local school quality issues.

Interesting thread. I grew up in the Detroit area but left long ago for Chicago, San Francisco, and now Portland where I am settled long term. Here there is no "gayborhood" and the city is better for it: the gay population is highly integrated and doesn't need a separate area of the city to call its own. Detroit and SE Michigan have a long way to go. Sadly, I'll probably never live there again in spite of family connections and my own sense of nostalgia.

Quote Originally Posted by Hans64 View Post
    Interesting thread. I grew up in the Detroit area but left long ago for Chicago, San Francisco, and now Portland where I am settled long term. Here there is no "gayborhood" and the city is better for it: the gay population is highly integrated and doesn't need a separate area of the city to call its own. Detroit and SE Michigan have a long way to go. Sadly, I'll probably never live there again in spite of family connections and my own sense of nostalgia.
    I don't blame you for settling in Portland. It was on the top of my list for relocation spots, however, due to health reasons, I moved to the Southwest. I found Portland to be everything you mentioned and more.