Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    What's "changing" Goose? Screwing over the tax payers that live in that neighborhood? THAT'S exactly why nothings going to change in this City. Not every area is covered with piss-poor "GASM" graffitti. There's a plaza built specifically for these kind of events, with tax payer money. Hold it there. OR, volunteer to have it @ your house and enjoy the "change".
    Hey, you kids, get off my damn lawn!!

When did you move into Belle Isle, Honky Tonk?! That is SOME house you've got there.

while i disagree with honky tonk in this thread, i want to give a shout out to the color-coded response.

pretty cool, honky tonk.

LOL, he knows he's gotta highlight so I don't miss anything...

There should be time limits in accordance with the standard noise ordinances, too. Even the Movement has to quit at some time, was it midnight?! Honky Tonk has a point IF they are really talking 24/7.

I say make them unplug completely after eleven, we can joke that they can turn it up to eleven...for those Spinal Tap fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    I say make them unplug completely after eleven, we can joke that they can turn it up to eleven...for those Spinal Tap fans.
    I don't get it? Both my amps have "11" on them.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7IZZXQ89Oc

i wonder where exactly they'll be setting up everything. Will there be camping overnight allowed? heh.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    i wonder where exactly they'll be setting up everything. Will there be camping overnight allowed? heh.
    Looked on their site: http://www.orionmusicandmore.com/

No tents allowed. No chairs. No hard-sided coolers. No outside beverages beyond TWO sealed plastic name-branded water bottles. No illicit or illegal substances of any kind.

NO PARKING ON THE ISLAND, only shuttles from downtown parking venues, insuring that businesses in that area will have some potential of seeing these bodies and selling them something they need.

It really sounds as if they've got it covered.

And I see NOTHING about it going 24/7, Honky Tonk, where did you hear that?!

I've also tried searching for potential negative news articles about the event in NJ...so far, nothing comes up. So why'd they move it?! Anyone get an answer for that?

Other than the fact that we ARE Detroit Rock City and dudes will drive up from TOLEDO for this!

Cheers!

Getting tickets now for me and my girl for both days. Discounted tickets are available if you're part of Metallica Club; the codes went out this morning. I hope this is only the beginning of events like this on the island.

Quote Originally Posted by Islandman View Post
    Getting tickets now for me and my girl for both days. Discounted tickets are available if you're part of Metallica Club; the codes went out this morning. I hope this is only the beginning of events like this on the island.
    you just admitted you are a member of the Metallica Club, prepare to be flamed....

Any good Mozart performances around? Vivaldi? Even maybe Gershwin????

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    you just admitted you are a member of the Metallica Club, prepare to be flamed....
    Nope, my girlfriend is. She's a bit of a rock 'n roller. I'm more techno DEMF. But hey, it's a good weekend date. She's really excited.

For the record, I too felt like Bad Brains about Metallica after Lars went all apeshit about Napster. I love old school Metallica though [[Kill 'Em All, Ride the Lighting, Master of Puppets, etc.).

Add RHCP and the Deftones and I'm good to go.

And DJango, there is no way I'm going to a concert without weed.

Every day, a symphony.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Any good Mozart performances around? Vivaldi? Even maybe Gershwin????
    The Beethoven festival just ended Sunday, I attended #9

Quote Originally Posted by kenp View Post
    Did you take a 5th?

I have no desire to see Metallica or RHCP, and as someone who lives within earshot of Belle Isle I can't say that I'm looking forward to this. But putting up with public events is part of living in the middle of a big city. I can't imagine the noise here will be any worse than the Grand Prix, Gold Cup, Chene Park shows, or, goodness knows, Movement [[I think my ears are still ringing from that unrelenting assault).

Overall, if properly managed, this may be a good thing for the island. I do hope that the organizers are held to some sort of standards when it comes to providing security, clean-up, etc. From the sounds of things in Gannon's post above though, it sounds like they may be on the right track.

And who knows, if this is successful. and goes off reasonably problem-free, folks may finally get over the idea of B.I. as some sort of "no man's land", and we may get other types of shows and festivals there too. A return of, say, the Symphony would certainly be welcome.

Must have been a pure Ode to Joy.

Quote Originally Posted by Islandman View Post

For the record, I too felt like Bad Brains about Metallica after Lars went all apeshit about Napster. I love old school Metallica though [[Kill 'Em All, Ride the Lighting, Master of Puppets, etc.).

Add RHCP and the Deftones and I'm good to go.

And DJango, there is no way I'm going to a concert without weed.
    I don't list to any of these bands much anymore [[probably burned myself on them as a youth), but I think the Deftones are probably the only band doing anything interesting out of the bunch, as I quite like their newer stuff.

Metallica and RHCP both have that "well, I dig their old stuff" thing going [[especially Metallica). As a bass guitar enthusiast, I still wouldn't mind seeing Flea though. He's an interesting bassist.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    But putting up with public events is part of living in the middle of a big city. .
    I do respect the people that live near that will be impacted but the above quote kind of sums this whole thing up for me.

I just had an image pop into my head, while re-reading this thread over coffee.

The line to wait for shuttles to get back to one's vehicle at the end of the night is going to be hellish.

The parking downtown has me concerned, since this will put thousands of folks in a place to be exploited by any enterprising individuals with criminal intent. They'd better pay for increased police presence, since they'll need it at the event and near the offsite parking.

I like everything still, overall, but these will have to be addressed to smooth out potential flow-choke and friction issues with the crowd.

Cheers

I hope they allow for more then just contracted buses in and out. For instance I may go to a wings game and park at Andrews on the river, get some food or drink and take the shuttle while my car is in their lot for free. This is how the locals benefit.

I hope they allow for more then just contracted buses in and out. For instance I may go to a wings game and park at Andrews on the river, get some food or drink and take the shuttle while my car is in their lot for free. This is how the locals benefit.
    Out-Of-Towners aren't allowed @ Andrews?

Out-Of-Towners aren't allowed @ Andrews?
    huh? locals being local businesses.

huh? locals being local businesses.
    That's better. A lesson in precise posting.....
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; February-27-13 at 01:41 PM.

That's better. A lesson in concise posting.....
    concise...what is this concise?!

I like precise.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast