Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Shollin View Post
    Wait, so you talk about blanket statements, and yet you say and I quote "Detroit is surrounded by a lot of white racists who hate the city, its residents and rage against it as a kind of pastime" Isnt that the pot calling the kettle black or is that racist?

No. Because it's true. A blanket statement would be: "Detroit is surrounded EXCLUSIVELY BY white racists, all of whom hate the city... " Can you tell the difference between saying there are white racists in the suburbs [[a is a subset of b) and all suburban whites are racists [[a=b)?

You also go on to say of course a lot of people have left Detroit are racists. You throw around these blanket statements without any evidence and require me to show evidence? You make accusation after accusation of white people being racist.
    Well, yeah. Sure. I've met them. I've talked with them. I have met enough white suburban people saying racist things to conclude that many suburban whites are racists -- N-bomb-dropping, black-joke-telling, prejudice-spreading racists. And, in response to that, what is YOUR evidence that urban blacks are racist?

Keep playing the victim.
    Not sure how I can do that, Shollin. I'm white. I'm a WHITE man. How the fuck is talking frankly about racism PLAYING THE VICTIM?

Blacks in Detroit in the 60's earned higher wages and had a higher home ownership than most other major cities. Welcome to the 60's. Income inequality and segregation was the think back then. You think Detroit was the only city to lose population? All cities from Chicago to New York to Philadelphia to Cleveland to Pittsburgh to Minneapolis to St Louis to Boston to Milwaukee all lost population as the migration to suburbs took full flight by the 60's. People who left Detroit for better employment and less crime I suppose are racist to you?

Talk about moving heaven and earth to change a subject. Rather than admit that there is such a thing as a white racist in Detroit's suburbs, you'd rather pile on all this data? Why? Before you turn this into a class project, Shollin, I already know there are white racists in the Detroit suburbs. You know why?

It's because I've met them.
    Last edited by Detroitnerd; December-27-12 at 04:14 PM.

Real constructive thread you started here, Strong. Let's just keep these arguments raging for generations to come!

Any thoughts on any of the Strong [[OP)?
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-28-12 at 06:37 AM.

When one person in the forum writes ' Do People hate Detroit?' others will answer in a racial backlash! It's all black folks fault!

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    When one person in the forum writes ' Do People hate Detroit?' others will answer in a racial backlash! It's all black folks fault!
    Where are you reading that? The only argument I see here is if those in the suburbs hate Detroit. You're not implying there are only white people in the suburbs are you? Wouldn't that be..well racist?

I am a bit [very!] far to give a opinion without being on the ground there

But i have noticed that Detroit is 75% black afro-american and 25% white population, and that crime is out of control, am i reading to much into this?

Is it drugs, lack of jobs, education or other/all/none?

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE View Post
    I am a bit [very!] far to give a opinion without being on the ground there

But i have noticed that Detroit is 75% black afro-american and 25% white population, and that crime is out of control, am i reading to much into this?

Is it drugs, lack of jobs, education or other/all/none?
    Right, mate.....

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Right, mate.....
    Not sure what you mean or where u are going with that, but i want to stress i am not turning this into a race/colour thing, just commenting on how i see it with what i read.

For instance, the school near my future joint @ 8200 Mack is the Hutchinson Elementary, and of the 573 students, ONE is a white:

http://detroitk12.org/schools/school/174/demographics/

Sorry, very confused with all this.

Not sure what you mean or where u are going with that, but i want to stress i am not turning this into a race/colour thing, just commenting on how i see it with what i read.

For instance, the school near my future joint @ 8200 Mack is the Hutchinson Elementary, and of the 573 students, ONE is a white:

http://detroitk12.org/schools/school/174/demographics/

Sorry, very confused with all this.
    First I agree with your statement. Second, I was giving you my best Australian accent impersonation. I guess something got lost in the translation..... Are you really moving here, buying the building, or just wishful thinking?

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    First I agree with your statement. Second, I was giving you my best Australian accent impersonation. I guess something got lost in the translation..... Are you really moving here, buying the building, or just wishful thinking?
    No worries!!

For now i am planning to come to USA latter in the year, when it warms up a bit, have many friends and girlfriends in USA, none in MI though.

Of course I will be checking out 8200 Mack and try my best not to get robbed/shot etc

To live in USA is difficult, not sure its any better than Australia anyway, always enjoyed my many trips to USA

With 8200 Mack would consider buying a portion [1/4. 1/3. 1/2.] of it in partnership with a local US person, not interested to buy it for the sake of buying it, would need to run a business and pay for itself, its tough though, if it was all too easy somebody would have pinched it by now.

We sell parking spots in CBD Sydney for not much less than that ask.

Maybe turn it into a speakeasy/blind-pig joint....

GREAT building, nothing to hate about it, other than it may be falling down inside and the area/suburb its located in could be a issue?

More due diligence required

Cheers

No worries!!

For now i am planning to come to USA latter in the year, when it warms up a bit, have many friends and girlfriends in USA, none in MI though.

Of course I will be checking out 8200 Mack and try my best not to get robbed/shot etc

To live in USA is difficult, not sure its any better than Australia anyway, always enjoyed my many trips to USA

With 8200 Mack would consider buying a portion [1/4. 1/3. 1/2.] of it in partnership with a local US person, not interested to buy it for the sake of buying it, would need to run a business and pay for itself, its tough though, if it was all too easy somebody would have pinched it by now.

We sell parking spots in CBD Sydney for not much less than that ask.

GREAT building, nothing to hate about it, other than it may be falling down inside and the area/suburb its located in could be a issue?

More due diligence required

Cheers
    That's a thriving business here in Detroit!
    I'll drive around it a couple of times in the daylight and report back if I see anything out of the ordinary.

For one thing in Detroit a suburb is an independent city with it's own Mayor. In other bits of the US [[particularly California) a suburb could be a neighborhood within a larger City, but in Detroit a Suburb is officially it's own City. The area around your building is called a neighborhood.

For another the racial breakdown of the local school says almost nothing about the racial breakdown of the neighborhood. I was in a pretty mixed neighborhood [[Woodbridge), and no white kids went to the neighborhood school. Most were in private schools, or managed to finagle a spot in one of the local suburban systems. The rest [[aka: me, my sister, and one chick) went to "Magnet Schools" which recruited from the entire city.

For a third Detroit's racial problems are incredibly complex.

Basically what happened is that in the late 70s and early 80s the white population fled en masse. Due to the fact that blacks are poor this meant that the City did not have enough taxpayers. With no money you can't afford police, basic city services, schools, etc. so now pretty much every black person who can leave is doing so.

That said, I am giving you a worse impression of the City then is probably warranted Detroit is actually a lot better off then Highland Park or Hamtramck because it still has some tax base, partly on the Southwest side, and partly Downtown. It has historically been able to balance it's budget most of the time, with taxes that are not much worse then imposed by other big US Cities. And since the Auto industry's recovering we'll probably end up with a few years and optimism of surpluses 2013-2015.

But long-term pretty much the only plans to help the City that people within the City actually consider are drastic measures like bulldozing 37 sq miles, declaring it a park, and moving the 50-100k people who live there into a newly-built sub-city.