Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by drpoundsign View Post
    somewhere away from that danged Spider! But seriously, to see the original Downtown before it burned in 1803, I think. The intact Corktown [[including North Corktown, Briggs and Core Cities) before the Fisher Freeway came in, and when it was NICE. Woodward Avenue in Highland Park when it was nice, then when it was Naughty-but still standing intact. Twelfth Street in the Forties and before, when it was a nice Jewish neighborhood with Doctors Dentists and yes, Purple Gang members. In all those old Hotels downtown like the Statler and the Woverine..that are now gone. In the Old Stroh's brewery on Gratiot...but I'd probably fall in a Vat and die Happy. LOL
    So you're a fly with a time machine and the ability to work it? That's a whole lot to take in during your brief life span!

Quote Originally Posted by davewindsor View Post
    And yet the Queen of England is still Head of State of Canada with her face still on all Canadian currency, the legal system still referring to the government as the Crown, and sworn allegiances to the Queen, however you want to interpret independence.
    Just curious, how does that work in Quebec? Is it a requirement to swear allegiance to the Queen or is there some other symbol that can be replaced, like replacing the Koran for the Bible when an Islamic member of the US Congress takes an oath of office? A Quebec friend of mine told me how he and other French-Canadian kids spent their youth using flat head screwdrivers to pound X's on the Queen's face on coins.

It would've been easier and more thorough to use Phillips head drivers...that might be part of the trouble with those Quebecois...

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Yeah, once you start paying for A.com you in for life or that data is gone. Hah!
    That's why I bought the Family Tree Maker software. You can download your tree and all the supporting documentation [[and sync it with the online tree if you have a subscription). Then its yours. You can also create gedcom files of your tree with the s/w and load those to other genealogical or dna sites.

While I know who my grandparents were and where they came from, I would truly like to know the paths of 2 Polish immigrants from very different places in Poland who came here via two different routes, for apparently different reasons, met either in New Jersey or Detroit, and decided that Detroit was the place to be in those WW1 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Just curious, how does that work in Quebec? Is it a requirement to swear allegiance to the Queen or is there some other symbol that can be replaced, like replacing the Koran for the Bible when an Islamic member of the US Congress takes an oath of office? A Quebec friend of mine told me how he and other French-Canadian kids spent their youth using flat head screwdrivers to pound X's on the Queen's face on coins.

I hadnt heard of that one, but that's funny, Lowell! We used to fold a dollar bill a certain way when I was a kid and the queen's face became a pair of buttocks.

Basically, Quebec has for a long time developed a country within a country set of rules. Like other provinces it has a parliament which is called the National Assembly. A lot of the ministries or departments as you call them in the states are dubbed national, as well as commissions of inquiry, cultural and scientific institutions, etc... Quebec has a heavier government apparatus than most other provinces and it levies its own income tax on citizens whereas other canadians fill out one tax form with the feds which redistributes to the provinces. Quebec has over the years voted laws that made it evolve toward independence. Even the liberals and parties other than the separatist ruling party [[PQ) have an independent bias and outlook.

Harper brought in new rules concerning the armed forces renaming them Royal Canadian etc... He also brought back the picture of the queen in post offices and government quarters. Like immigrants coming to Canada, the Quebecois have to pledge allegiance to the queen when entering the armed forces but not when applying for a job in the federal civil service let's say. In the sixties and seventies, when nationalist ferment was at its highest point since the nineteenth century insurrections of 1832, a lot of anti-british sentiment was expressed in Quebec. At present the movement to secede is pretty flat, the PQ is a minority government, and there seems to be a relative peace as far as status within the canadian union, Harper recognized the quebecois as a nation in his first term as opposed to the usual recognition of french canadians standing as a founding nation.

I dont know about pledging allegiance on the koran in Quebec or Canada but recently the supreme court decided that a woman could wear the niqab in court. An immigrant cannot wear a face covering at an allegiance ceremony but can pledge on the coran or other religious book or abstain altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    It would've been easier and more thorough to use Phillips head drivers...that might be part of the trouble with those Quebecois...
    I have never, ever been so insulted in my entire life John. That was a "dickish" thing to write.

At the Grande Ballroom when the MC5 blew whatever "national" act off the stage!

44 years ago today Rob Tyner and the MC5 were featured on the cover of the Rolling Stone.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

While Hoffa was "disappearing"

Oakland Sugar House on the corner of Oakland and Holbrook when it was ran by Sugar House gangsters Henry Shorr and Charles Leiter.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Yeah, once you start paying for A.com you in for life or that data is gone. Hah!
    Where did you get that notion? Not true....unless I'm totally misunderstanding what you're saying.

Too many choices.

Algiers Motel, July of '67.

Collingwood Manor, 1931.

Ford HQ, when Bennett was fired.

Gallows, where the library is now, when Stephen Simmons was hanged in 1830.

Too many choices, but definitely not on any wall of 1206 Woodward on 10/24/98.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3