Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Where Kilpartrick's wife 'allegedly' got out a baseball bat! Hah! Fun for everyone!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    ....another fun wall would have been at the 'alleged' Manogian Mansion party where Tamara Greene 'allegedly' performed.

Wish I could have been a fly on the wall in the Snakepit studio at Hitsville when the Temptations, the Funk Bros., and Gordon Staples and the DSO string section created those lush sounds that became "My Girl" with Smokey Robinson in the booth doing the production. Better yet, I wish I could have sat in for Benny Benjamin on the drums.

Marsha Music...I presume your father was the legendary Joe Von Battle?

Being part of Antwone Laumet sieur de Cadillac's crew with the baggy pants and oversized neckchains when he was looking for a service station on the way to Detroit and found the place, and then founded it.

At the Grande with the 35 or so people who saw Led Zepplin their first time in Detroit.

I would love to see the childhood and adolescence of my grandmother who grew up in the heyday of Highland Park.

1900-1910 and ride all the streetcars and interurbans throughout the area.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    I would have liked to have been there when John Conyers awoke from his three-day binger and said "I married who?!?"
    DP: Your post made me laugh so hard, I nearly cried. Made my day!

It would have been fun to be on Goose Gossage's hat at watch Gibby dancing around the bases in game five of the 1984 World Series with Tiger Stadium going wild after his three run homer.

I would like to go back 200 years to the War of 1812 when after US General Hull crossed the Detroit river with 2,200 troops and burned down most of Sandwich [[Windsor) and went back to Fort Detroit, British General Brock marched from Niagara with 100 regular soldiers, a band of natives and conscripted every male farmer he could find and dressed them up in old, worn out redcoat uniforms and marched onto Fort Detroit and surrounded it. I would have like to have been there when General Hull decided to surrender Fort Detroit and 2,500 trained soldiers to General Brock's rag tag army without a fight and making the most of the State of Michigan a part of Canada for a year. I would have also liked to have been at General Hull's court marshal and heard the case of how Hull got out of a death sentence.

I'd have loved to have been present when York was burned to the ground, you know, because one dickish reply deserves another.
    Last edited by Dexlin; December-29-12 at 02:34 AM.

I'd like to be back in dinosaur times.

Quote Originally Posted by davewindsor View Post
    .... and making the most of the State of Michigan a part of Canada for a year.
    Don't you mean "a part of Britain"??

You guys didn't "start" getting your independence until 1867....

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Where Kilpartrick's wife 'allegedly' got out a baseball bat! Hah! Fun for everyone!!
    Excepting, of course, those women who were stirring up the fun at this party before hizzoner's main squeeze stepped up the plate and started swinging her misplaced anger and rage about the place.
    Last edited by Gannon; December-29-12 at 09:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ5 View Post
    I'd like to be back in dinosaur times.
    Hang around a while, they seem to be coming back into vogue.

Hah! Multiple flys needed to catch the various angles of action!

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Excepting, of course, those women who were stirring up the fun at this party before hizzoner's main squeeze stepped up the plate and started swinging her misplaced anger and rage about the place.

Well, if the fly accompanying the one dancer who needed the 'coerced courtesy' flight to Atlanta [[from someone not unlike Soave Enterprises) had only videorecorded the event...that is the angle of action that would make the greatest change in proper prosecution over the whole series of evil bullshit which followed.

I cannot muster any exclamation points, though. At least one of those women died, remember?!
    Last edited by Gannon; December-29-12 at 09:29 AM.

^^^ Yes, not cheers for that indeed.

I would have also liked to have been at General Hull's court marshal and heard the case of how Hull got out of a death sentence.
    Hull actually didn't get out of the death sentence. The court marshal recommended it. President Madison pardoned Hull due to his good service in the Revolutionary War.

This would be the winter of the occupation 200 years ago. So glad we are all friends now!

Quote Originally Posted by Dexlin View Post
    I'd have loved to have been present when York was burned to the ground, you know, because one dickish reply deserves another.
    One dickish reply deserves another?? Huh?? Come back to planet earth. What does the burning of York [[the Capital of Upper Canada) have to do with the history of Detroit and General Hull? I can go even further off topic and point out that the British burned down the White House and most of Washington for it, but it's not relevant to the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Don't you mean "a part of Britain"??

You guys didn't "start" getting your independence until 1867....
    And yet the Queen of England is still Head of State of Canada with her face still on all Canadian currency, the legal system still referring to the government as the Crown, and sworn allegiances to the Queen, however you want to interpret independence.

somewhere away from that danged Spider! But seriously, to see the original Downtown before it burned in 1803, I think. The intact Corktown [[including North Corktown, Briggs and Core Cities) before the Fisher Freeway came in, and when it was NICE. Woodward Avenue in Highland Park when it was nice, then when it was Naughty-but still standing intact. Twelfth Street in the Forties and before, when it was a nice Jewish neighborhood with Doctors Dentists and yes, Purple Gang members. In all those old Hotels downtown like the Statler and the Woverine..that are now gone. In the Old Stroh's brewery on Gratiot...but I'd probably fall in a Vat and die Happy. LOL

Very difficult to pin it down....has to be a couple.

Leesville & the farms along Connor's Creek south of Harper circa 1885-90.

Along the cut from the river up to Eastern Market where my Belgian people lived, same era.

The I could quit paying dues for Ancestry.com

And yet the Queen of England is still Head of State of Canada with her face still on all Canadian currency, the legal system still referring to the government as the Crown, and sworn allegiances to the Queen, however you want to interpret independence.
    Thanks for correcting me... I keep forgetting that your Dominion Day is not the same as our Independence Day....

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Thanks for correcting me... I keep forgetting that your Dominion Day is not the same as our Independence Day....
    Canadians set aside a day to honor a supermarket chain?

Yeah, once you start paying for A.com you in for life or that data is gone. Hah!

Quote Originally Posted by mikefmich View Post
    Then I could quit paying dues for Ancestry.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast