Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Attachment 17632

However, Back to thr original thread......

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    "BTW, it's drivel, not "dribble" as in dribbling a basketball."

That's not necessarily true. It could also be dribble, like the liquidy, gooey stuff that comes out of the mouth of a small child, or a senile adult.

"it alway ends up taxing the job creators who choose to build businesses in the US"

In that case, let me ask you something. The tax cuts have been in effect for 8 Bush years, [[I know, I used the "B" word), and 4 of the Obama years. Where are all these "created" jobs? Asia, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, Brazil, etc. Where is all the income and tax revenue from these job creators? Well, who knows, you know? But for the last 12 years, I'm still paying my 50%, and they're using my roads, security, and other infrastructure I helped pay for, mostly.
    If you are talking about the thousands of subchapter s corporations, they are mainly located and employing workers in the US and paying taxes. If you want to talk about the supposedly social conscience large corporations like Google, a majority of their profits are made in no tax locations like Bermuda. If you are talking about companies like Apple, they employ most of their people outside the US and also do not pay much in taxes.

The poverty rate in Detroit is nearly 30 percent, a quarter of the city’s residents are unemployed, 31.5 percent receive welfare benefits or food stamps, only 11.8 percent of residents 25 years old or older have a bachelors degree or higher, and the per capita income is $15,062. According to the Brookings Institution, between the years 2000 and 2009, Detroit saw one of the largest increases in “concentrated poverty,” which is a measurement of the spatial proximity of people living in poverty. People living in concentrated poverty have been shown to be far more likely to become pregnant as teenagers, drop out of high school, and remain jobless than people who are in poverty but live in socio-economically mixed neighborhoods. Other than cigarettes and booze this group is not paying much in taxes. Yet the City of Detroit has to provide services [[as badly managed as they are) to all the people.

noggin,
    When you say "....a quarter of the city’s residents are unemployed...." are you referring to a quarter of those of employable age only, or a quarter of all the city's residents? I'm curious because a good percentage of the residents are children and Senior Citizens and unemployable. [[a quarter of the city's residents would be 178,250 whereas a quarter of the employable residents might be nearer 100,000)

Throwing technology at the problems in accounting in Detroit isn't going to fix anything. It's a garbage-in, garbage out problem. The books are probably in shambles and that likely makes collections next to impossible. How are you going to collect from anyone when you can't keep track of what anyone owes? It likely would take years of effort to get Detroit's books into some form of order. Who's going to pay for that?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2