I appreciate the posts that have put some sanity into this discussion. First, we've noted how incredibly low the petty crime rate is in GP Park, miraculous in light of the level of wealth next to poverty. Second, we've noted that there may be legal barriers to this proposed barrier.

Finally, whether the original post fairly describes an actual proposal has also been called into question. GP Park is putting a lot of much needed emphasis on making its last 4-5 blocks of Kercheval a true downtown with fresh offerings. Several new restaurants, possibly great ones, are going in. I have heard that the City wishes to make those blocks into a pedestrian mall, banning all cars whether from GP or Detroit, for certain periods of time. Though I strongly query the goodness of such a proposal for accomplishing their aims of improved downtown retailing and such, it appears that this may be the proposal that some are conflating with something worse.

Now of course, that 'something worse' is a dastardly measure that has already been implemented on one-third to one-half of the streets leading one across Alter Road.

That said, I am not even sure that new roadblocks would receive political support. Kercheval is an extremely useful thoroughfare. And GP Park ain't such a conservative bastion any more.